What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indigenous Dragons

blue bags

First Grade
david nui,

winger kinchela ?

brett , kurt landers ., brothers

dragons has a long history of indigenous players

blue bags

First Grade
still in high school. i remember , denis , he was at JAMES COOK high school, brian smith was the coach, pe master

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
As Aboriginal players go, surely Richie Williams must in the conversation somewhere?

And, Shane Kenward....Mundane’s replacement after he departed for both Brisbane and Super League....unforgettable.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
As Aboriginal players go, surely Richie Williams must in the conversation somewhere?

And, Shane Kenward....Mundane’s replacement after he departed for both Brisbane and Super League....unforgettable.
Poor old Shane Kenward. Gave up a promising career on the Gold Coast to last 1 season at saints. He didn't look too bad when he played for the Chargers

Life's Good

Coach
Ricky Walford - Loved the bloke. That chase on Renouf in the 92 GF was sheer guts. He was catching him to.
Amos Roberts - I’ve got a soft spot for him. Points record breaker on debut & a hell of a nice bloke. Our sons played in the same team & we shared many a yarn along the way.

Life's Good

Coach
Poor old Shane Kenward. Gave up a promising career on the Gold Coast to last 1 season at saints. He didn't look too bad when he played for the Chargers
Shane Kenward - Now that is a blast from the past. He was touted as our saviour post Mundine(along with Troy Pezet, who, I’m sure reneged ala Moltzen). 1997 was such a strange year.

Life's Good

Coach
Man. That Halligan try off the forward pass down in the Leagues Club corner will haunt me for the rest of my days...
The one from Aaron Moulle to Tony Martin in the 99GF might go close(it may have been someone else because I’ve never watched a replay so forgive me for a hazy memory).

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

Laid bare: Renouf, racism and rugby league

INDIGENOUS ROUND

Blacklock and Sailor named in Indigenous Dream Team of past 20 years
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sun 2 Aug 2020, 12:05 PM

Rugby league fans have included some of the modern-day greats in the Indigenous Team of the 2000s.

The likes of Johnathan Thurston, Greg Inglis, Laurie Daley, Justin Hodges, Gorden Tallis and Wendell Sailor were among those to collect the majority of votes in their position.

Among those who were still top-line players but didn't reach the heights of the above-mentioned group, rep players such as Greg Bird, Andrew Fifita, Latrell Mitchell, Sam Thaiday, Nathan Blacklock, Carl Webb and Nathan Peats also won selection.

A quick look at the final team (below) shows that it could have given any side from the same period a run for their money.

In total, more than 125,000 votes were entered across the nine positions.

team-of-the-2000s_20200802-1.jpg

There were five players to choose from in each position but each player is only available in what is determined to be their main spot.

For example, Inglis was only available at fullback, giving fans a choice between the Maroons legend and the likes of Matt Bowen and Ben Barba.

When the voting opened, Indigenous rugby league legends Laurie Daley, Jamie Soward, Katrina Fanning and Steve Renouf plus Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga all picked their best Indigenous team.

Laurie Daley picked his great rival Anthony Mundine at five-eighth and also opted for his older Raiders teammate Ken Nagas on one wing.

indig-team_daley_20200727.jpg

Katrina Fanning chose four current players in her squad - Latrell Mitchell, Wade Graham, Andrew Fifita and Nathan Peats.

indig-team_fanning_20200727.jpg

Mal Meninga picked a 13-man line-up almost made up entirely of former Kangaroos representatives with ex-NSW hooker Nathan Peats the only player who has not worn the green and gold.

indig-team_meninga_20200727.jpg

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...ed-in-indigenous-dream-team-of-past-20-years/

getsmarty

Immortal
PART 2

Jamie Soward had to find a place for Preston Campbell but with a backline stacked with talent he chosen the Indigenous All Stars' founding father as an attacking weapon out of dummy-half.

indig-team_soward_20200727.jpg

Steve Renouf knows a thing or two about strike power out wide and with Greg Inglis, Dane Gagai, Willie Tonga, Latrell Mitchell and Justin Hodges in the outside backs, his team would give any premiership-winning squad a tough afternoon.

indig-team_renouf_20200727-1.jpg

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...ed-in-indigenous-dream-team-of-past-20-years/