What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors biggest regret?

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Thought I'd put together a disappointing 13-

1- Tomkins
2- Inu
3- Nielsen
4- Hurrell
5- Kemp
6- Foran
7- Johnson
8- Platt
9- Luke
10- Blair
11- Betts
12- Mateo
13- Lowrie
I think we got the best years from Hurrell. At one point he was almost unstoppable, I'm getting flashbacks of him absolutely dominating Jarrod Croker one night at Mt Smart.

I think he got his social media fame and then the attention on his footy started to wane

JJ

Immortal
He did mention in an interview that he signed the deal because he just had to get away from Sydney and away from the pain of it, big MG really went off the rails too after it
Penrith had more premierships there imo, they were much better than the Broncos and it all fell apart that tragic night

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think we got the best years from Hurrell. At one point he was almost unstoppable, I'm getting flashbacks of him absolutely dominating Jarrod Croker one night at Mt Smart.

I think he got his social media fame and then the attention on his footy started to wane

it’s such a shame Koni didn’t have a more professional mindset. He really did have all the tools to be a great, minus the top ten inches.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I’ve always felt for Hurrell, was very new to league and the run over the top style is never sustainable at the top level, but I’m not sure he really got any quality coaching to help him with the finer points of his game and add more strings to his bow. A good current example might be Moses Suli, huge talent but heading out the back door of the game, Hasler gets hold of him and things start to turn around for him

Remember when they had the idea to chuck him into the forwards and he came off the bench and dropped the pill first run and he looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders

I think he has found a really good niche over in the Super League now

JJ

Immortal
Hurrell could have been anything imo... that he amounted to not much is a blight on both him and the Warriors

vvvrulz

Coach
Hurrell could have been anything imo... that he amounted to not much is a blight on both him and the Warriors

Applies to so many promising careers here, which makes it so frustrating Cleary had almost completely grassroots team at the 2011 grand final and we blew it.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Any player from 2012-now has a fair excuse as to why they never fulfilled talent. Our club created a shit environment, with inept coaches, which was perpetuated by a lot of guys on big money who cruised and weren't prepared to put pressure on the rest of the squad to perform. Basically we didn't have enough Micheal Lucks. To come into our environment and be a young star was basically impossible.

You might've got a much different Konnie from 2007-2011. Even during that time, guys like Kevin Locke, Packer, Matulino were reasonably consistent performers who didn't get up to too much strife after hours. Lance Hohaia went from a ruffian to a consummate professional. Guys like Price, Luck, Wiki, Tate, Fien etc ran the cutter, you had no chance of f**king around under them.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Any player from 2012-now has a fair excuse as to why they never fulfilled talent. Our club created a shit environment, with inept coaches, which was perpetuated by a lot of guys on big money who cruised and weren't prepared to put pressure on the rest of the squad to perform. Basically we didn't have enough Micheal Lucks. To come into our environment and be a young star was basically impossible.

You might've got a much different Konnie from 2007-2011. Even during that time, guys like Kevin Locke, Packer, Matulino were reasonably consistent performers who didn't get up to too much strife after hours. Lance Hohaia went from a ruffian to a consummate professional. Guys like Price, Luck, Wiki, Tate, Fien etc ran the cutter, you had no chance of f**king around under them.
Speaking of Lance he had an absolute awesome year at fullback. Can't remember the season but I just remember him killing it at the back. Memory is very fuzzy though so can anyone remember why we didn't stick with him back there? Form, new signing or am I just talking shit?

vvvrulz

Coach
Speaking of Lance he had an absolute awesome year at fullback. Can't remember the season but I just remember him killing it at the back. Memory is very fuzzy though so can anyone remember why we didn't stick with him back there? Form, new signing or am I just talking shit?

Would've been 2008, in direct competition with Wade McKinnon who had to deal with a dodgy knee after killing it in 07.

Hohaia was destroying it to the point where McKinnon replacing him was in serious question.

Not sure what happened after that, we don't talk about 2009.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Would've been 2008, in direct competition with Wade McKinnon who had to deal with a dodgy knee after killing it in 07.

Hohaia was destroying it to the point where McKinnon replacing him was in serious question.

Not sure what happened after that, we don't talk about 2009.
Cheers for that. Mckinnon himself was on fire at one stage. Almost impossible to tackle and even got a city origin jersey out of it if im not mistaken. If only those knees could have held up. Still remember him kicking the shit out of the campbelltown stadium dressing sheds after being sent off. Good times

vvvrulz

Coach
Cheers for that. Mckinnon himself was on fire at one stage. Almost impossible to tackle and even got a city origin jersey out of it if im not mistaken. If only those knees could have held up. Still remember him kicking the shit out of the campbelltown stadium dressing sheds after being sent off. Good times

Knees !? KNEES !?

Matua

Bench
I remember when McKinnon was signed and it was as Brett Webb was leaving and there was a bit of rumbling about whether we should have tried harder to keep Webb. Allen McLaughlin was on Radio Sport and was saying how he loved Webb, but if you looked at the stats McKinnon was right at the top in metres, defenders beaten etc and suggesting he'd been unfairly overlooked for higher honours (was he at Parra at the time?)

JJ

Immortal
McKinnon was brilliant... no mistake

Imo best we’ve had at #1 until Roger, albeit too briefly

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
McKinnons only real weakness was between the ears too, but in his case it was temper more than intellect or motivation :joy:

Blair

Coach
A few finals regrets for me.

1. An in-form Jerome Ropati and Manu Vatuvei getting injured in our last regulation game of the season, 2007. They both missed the finals and we lacked their flair in the back-line.

2. The Wests Tigers making that ridiculous defensive scrum error, with just seconds to go in their final against Easts in 2010. Ivan Cleary was just about to hit 'send' on a text he'd just written to his team, 'get ready for training'. We got knocked out of the finals when Easts scored. What might've been otherwise?

3. We were down about 10-0 at about the 30-minute mark v Manly in 2008. We pressured Manly with a bomb, which Stewart dropped in front of the sticks. Witt dropped the ball on the first tackle from the ensuing scrum. OK, Manly were on fire in 2008, but that Witt drop was a killer for us.

4. Ken's hospital pass to Roger v Penrith in '18 during a first hit-up from a Panthers end of set kick. Why? Ken was hitting it up all season. Roger hobble off injured and that was that.

5. That 68th minute grubber, that Evans or Stewart scooped up with a massive amount of luck, near the Manly line in the GF. In 2011, we were rolling home.

6. 2006, those four points deducted by salary cap breach. We missed the finals because of it.

sup42

Juniors
Seeing how Jones played his club career without a top stand off....

I'm gonna say letting Henry Paul go...by a country mile.

Jones and Paul were sublime when they recombined against Aus in the fashion they played in their backyards with each other in Te Atatu as kids.

What could have been.

Losing CLeary was costly but coaches come and go...CLeary hasnt done anything since.

Latest posts