What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - In these weird times

Penrose_11

Juniors
Philip, your point about borders being shut till vaccines are here is concerning in light of the likelihood that won't happen for 18-24 months.

I think this lockdown is going to take far longer than a month.

I’d heard vaccines might be available before then but just not fully accessible world wide. Imagine the implications of boarders were shut for more than a year? There goes a lot of sports we’re accustomed to watch.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I’d heard vaccines might be available before then but just not fully accessible world wide. Imagine the implications of boarders were shut for more than a year? There goes a lot of sports we’re accustomed to watch.

It will be rough, but the good news is testing is getting better, including tests to identify if people have already had the virus.

A good percentage of people don't show symptons at all or are very mild. Identifying these people who already have the antibody can start the process of reducing restrictions.

It'll be a trickle at first, but we'll get there.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Look at least we have a lot of good Rugby and to a lesser extent League players within our borders. The NPC coupled potentially run as normal - in fact it could be better than normal if the ABs all endvplayong due to no higher level commitments. And the Warriors and NZRL should start organising a club or provincial series that could be played if lockdowns are eased with the warriors players being farmed out among the sides. I’m sure Sky or one of the FTA channels would jump at the chance to show it given the lack of content available.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Some good analysis on the economic impact etc:

https://www.interest.co.nz/business/104322/bnzs-head-research-stephen-toplis-says-economic-activity-will-not-return-pre-crisis

Hopefully when Aus and NZ get the virus under control, they (maybe with Pacific islands) could open the borders in Oceania at least..but with the rest of the world, that's going take a lot longer some...

fingers crossed, if we could widen the bubble to NZ, Aus, and the PIs it would help a lot of people. I’d rather it wasn’t completely unrestricted though. Travel should still be closely monitored when it does resume and limited to those with good reasons to travel (ie employment or business that can’t be done remotely, and surge to family business like funerals). At least at first.

TheDMC

Bench

Rich102

Staff member
Fourteen thousand people could die if Covid-19 spreads out of control in New Zealand – and more if our intensive care units are overwhelmed.

That's according to new modelling being released today by the Government.

A team of Otago University researchers, who provided the modelling to the Ministry of Health, found that a worst case scenario of uncontrolled spread in the country could see up to 64 per cent of the population infected, 32,000 people hospitalised, and up to 14,000 deaths.

"That is a very severe outcome," a researcher who helped carry out the modelling, public health professor Nick Wilson, told RNZ.

But that was based on intensive care units and hospitals being able to function.

Given how hospitals in Spain and Italy had been inundated with patients, Wilson said those figures may have been an "overcautious assumption".

Wilson wanted the ministry to start separating out cases of community transmission from those related to returned overseas travellers, to give a clearer picture of Covid-19 in the community.

He also wanted New Zealand to ramp up its level of testing and contact tracing, saying that testing should be carried out on anyone turning up at an emergency department with respiratory issues, as well as randomly in the community.

TO READ THE HERALD'S FULL CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE CLICK HERE
But he said, for now, New Zealand was well placed to stamp out Covid-19 through a strategy of elimination.

"We are in a situation where we really have adopted the best strategy… very few countries have been able to do that."

Wilson was also involved in other modelling that suggested how countries that didn't have that advantage could try to suppress Covid-19 through sustained lockdowns so that peaks in cases didn't arrive until next year, when a vaccine might become available.

Another set of modelling, by researchers from Te Punaha Matatini, showed that - failing eradication - lockdown measures like those in place now could delay a peak for up to 400 days, but wouldn't prevent it.

Any relaxing of those measures could result in hospitals being overwhelmed with a surge six times that of hospital capacity within a few months.

That capacity would be exceeded at the point that 40,000 people contracted the virus.

Left to spread without any controls, the virus could infect 89 per cent of the population and kill up to 80,000.

The best-case scenario if elimination failed – which still involved keeping New Zealand effectively shut down – death numbers would drop to just about 20 people, and hospital capacity would remain within limits for more than a year.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12321087

JJ

Immortal
Just not sure these doomsday scenarios help anyone - they are usually modelled with very 'generous' assumptions... and serve Govts the world over, when they look heroic because nothing like that happens...

Getting tired of the media TBH, we just all need to be very careful... but important not to ruin the world in the interim - I hope that with the benefit of hindsight people aren't saying, WTF?

jaseg

Juniors
Just went back to teaching this year, and partner is a doctor so we're all good on the job front.. been a bit of a hectic time though.

My recently retired mother moved in a couple of months ago... she does *not* give a f**k about the virus despite being both in a higher risk age range and having comorbidities. Legitimately tried to have a bbq with her friends last weekend. Given our (particularly the mrs) higher risk jobs, I've had to turf her out to the granny flat. She kept coming into the house unnecessarily so had to take her keys, too. That was a fun conversation...

Rich102

Staff member
Trump is a turkey.

If the USA re-elect him they only have themselves to blame for what happens next.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Just went back to teaching this year, and partner is a doctor so we're all good on the job front.. been a bit of a hectic time though.

My recently retired mother moved in a couple of months ago... she does *not* give a f**k about the virus despite being both in a higher risk age range and having comorbidities. Legitimately tried to have a bbq with her friends last weekend. Given our (particularly the mrs) higher risk jobs, I've had to turf her out to the granny flat. She kept coming into the house unnecessarily so had to take her keys, too. That was a fun conversation...
I guess the virus brings with it a few small wins

JJ

Immortal

We're having similar experiences with the elderly... they don't seem to understand that for the most part what is going on here is younger generations are suffering, many will lose their jobs, and more, so protect them from a virus that is dangerous to them... and much less dangerous to others...

Driving me a bit nuts...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I came out of 14 days self isolation yesterday evening (well technically it was 13 days and 22 hours, I needed to catch the post office before they closed). Was pretty weird and stressful hitting the supermarket for the first time since everything really went crazy, even though the crowds weren't bad the whole environment was tense and it was still impossible to properly ensure good social distancing at all times. Thankful I missed all the real chaos and panic last week though.
Back to work tomorrow morning, which i'm weirdly actually looking forward to.

I get what you mean about old people too, even my mum who is pretty sensible gave me the impression she wasn't that worried, but shes thankfully observing the rules anyway.

TheDMC

Bench
I'm calling the police

Speaking of which, this morning my missus and I moved into a standalone beach house 1km down the road in Ohope from where we were staying at our friend's downstairs unit on arrival back in NZ last week.

Nek minute (well, within 1hr of arriving at the new pad) the fuzz turned up asking questions. One of the neighbours had got on the blower to them instantly haha.

No dramas, but definitely in the next month need to think up some revenge on the nosy neighbour.

Day 8 of self quarantine...