What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scomo saving me

Quicksilver

Bench
This is not yes or no. The details, as I've read it are, if you run out of work your company can apply for you to stay on with them and the government will fund it at $1500 per fortnight. The company can then top it off with more cash if it so decides. This goes for a 6 month period. Have I missed something, I'm happy to hear if I have.

Well, they want you to stay "working" for the company where possible, and find things to do. I'm not sure how this is to be implemented exactly. I'll have to read up on it more.

I hope if they get you to "keep working" then it's at least along the lines of your current position. Hopefully it's just a bit of a help for the business to get through to the other side. There will probably be exploitable loopholes and hopefully they are kept to a minimum. I hope this has been written with goodwill to everyone.

For instance I don't see why the government should be paying for the bosses merc to be washed every day. (Extreme example)

On a deeper philosophical level I don't really see why the government should be paying me to work (for less than what I usually get) for someone else's direct gain. I don't get anything out of doing menial tasks. If they are giving out money I'd rather just get it myself so I can work on my own projects. Why is my labour going to another person's wellbeing through a government payment?

I'll approach it with enthusiasm but as I said, We'll see how it pans out.

Quicksilver

Bench
Mate you do understand, the recommendations to Government and work toward getting the country over the financial mess (that is currently happening) is performed by Treasury officials (ie Public Servants ie usually Labor voters).
The current worldwide catastrophe is no "echo chamber", it is akin to an unknown, unseen enemy that has killed nearly 40,000 reeked havoc on world economies.I have seen on the ABC just about every Labor shadow minister giving his 50c worth.It comes across as the "look at me I'm relevant now".

The Govt is taking advice from leading medicos and financial experts and working with State Govts many of whom are Labor.The very same people that Labor would use ,if they were in Govt.

When I see Ms Keneally (a failed State Premier) shelling out advice to the Federal Govt on such matters, I may as well ask the local postman at least he's reliable and not a photo bomber.

Opinions can differ even among experts. Each expert has their own little take on something based on their own experience and academic work. If someone has something productive to add I welcome it.

I love democracy.

carcharias

Immortal
ABC medical expert “Norm” gets corona virus.

ha
FMD

Edit

scratch that
Just heard it on radio .. Now they are saying he hasn’t got it as of 1 hour ago.

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
Well, they want you to stay "working" for the company where possible, and find things to do. I'm not sure how this is to be implemented exactly. I'll have to read up on it more.

I hope if they get you to "keep working" then it's at least along the lines of your current position. Hopefully it's just a bit of a help for the business to get through to the other side. There will probably be exploitable loopholes and hopefully they are kept to a minimum. I hope this has been written with goodwill to everyone.

For instance I don't see why the government should be paying for the bosses merc to be washed every day. (Extreme example)

On a deeper philosophical level I don't really see why the government should be paying me to work (for less than what I usually get) for someone else's direct gain. I don't get anything out of doing menial tasks. If they are giving out money I'd rather just get it myself so I can work on my own projects. Why is my labour going to another person's wellbeing through a government payment?

yes or no was the question

grow a set

Quicksilver

Bench
yes or no was the question

grow a set

Hang on I'll toss a coin.

Heads yes, Tails no.

It comes up heads- yes.

Is that the level rigour you want?

I can't answer it until more is known and there is a bit more discussion around it. That feels sensible to me.

carcharias

Immortal
Hang on I'll toss a coin.

Heads yes, Tails no.

It comes up heads- yes.

Is that the level rigour you want?

I can't answer it until more is known and there is a bit more discussion around it. That feels sensible to me.

why bother even responding if you can’t?
It was a simple f**king question
It was crystal clear
Yes or no

sounds like you don’t want to admit he is doing a good job.

Quicksilver

Bench
why bother even responding if you can’t?
It was a simple f**king question
It was crystal clear
Yes or no

sounds like you don’t want to admit he is doing a good job.

I responded because it was asked and I was one of the main participants here.

If it works out well- fine. But I would like to acquire more information about it if possible. Good decisions come from good information. It might be good, it might be shit. It might be 95% good but 5% shit. Do I say it's shit because it's 5% shit? How about 50/50? Even with complete full knowledge (which is impossible) I'd struggle to give a yes/no answer on something so complex.

I just think a lot of this is not in line with the Liberal's free market ideology and the role of government and government debt. So, I'm not sure how they reconcile it themselves. I don't have a complete and rampant free market ideology (though I do see a place for markets), so I'm trying to see if it fits for me on a pragmatic level.

That's fair enough but I thought, and I could be very wrong here as would everyone I've spoken to, that you wouldn't be working you would be at home in isolation,.. thus when things start to pick up again the company has it's employees back on deck straight away. All about keeping the economy "stimulated" and will hit the ground running.
Like I said, i could be wrong, but this is mine and others take on it.
No menial tasks except the ones given to you by your missus or life partner....

carcharias

Immortal

If it works out well- fine. But I would like to acquire more information about it if possible. Good decisions come from good information. It might be good, it might be shit. It might be 95% good but 5% shit. Do I say it's shit because it's 5% shit? How about 50/50? Even with complete full knowledge (which is impossible) I'd struggle to give a yes/no answer on something so complex.

I just think a lot of this is not in line with the Liberal's free market ideology and the role of government and government debt. So, I'm not sure how they reconcile it themselves. I don't have a complete and rampant free market ideology (though I do see a place for markets), so I'm trying to see if it fits for me on a pragmatic level.

Just a yes or a no thanks Beryl.

Eion

First Grade

Bwhahaha, if it works out I’m ok with it. If it doesn’t then I’ll use the benefit and wisdom of hindsight to bag it. Sackless. Thank god you’re not in charge

And a ‘yes’ from me BBB

Quicksilver

Bench
Bwhahaha, if it works out I’m ok with it. If it doesn’t then I’ll use the benefit and wisdom of hindsight to bag it. Sackless. Thank god you’re not in charge

And a ‘yes’ from me BBB

Why would I not be ok with it if it works out ?

Quicksilver

Bench
I’m sure you’ll find a way. Or have a cry this government isn’t the slave to free market you hoped they were.

Not my hopes. It's their own rhetoric. If they want to examine the limitations of their previously held beliefs and move forward in a mutually beneficial way then I welcome it. They do need to address it rather than ignore it though.