What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 and beyond

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm not sure how I feel about a potential merger.

On one hand, I'd like to consider myself a rugby league fan first, and a Panthers fan second. And I do have a particular soft spot for the Eels.

But on the other hand, I don't think that 30+ years of emotional attachment is replaceable. I get chills watching their promo videos each year, I ride every game along with the players. I don't get that feeling in any other match, including Origin and Tests.

Hopefully it doesn't come to this as I'm having a really hard time evaluating the options.

No reason for us to merge. This happened to everyone so all in the same boat

GongPanther

Referee
We should be open to a merger with Parra tho if the NRL really takes the opportunity to dhake up the comp

Can you imagine a Penrith/Parra merge which would be similar to the St George Illawarra merge? You would have mostly a historical reference by both the commentary on TV and the publications to only the Eels as does the St George club.

And if anything, the merger would obviously be between the Eels and Dogs, much to the horror of both sets of fans.

Fangs

Coach
The Eels will die (Its written) and we will own Western Sydney. New stadium, take hogs breath elsewhere and that smelly sewage outside the entrance. Any panthers fan knows that smell. Divert it out to Randwick. Dogs keep the inner west. Rugby league will be saved.

CCJohnC

Juniors
I think it is time for a revamp of the playing schedule. I have said for many years that the Sydney teams should play each other twice and once against other teams.

MugaB

Coach
I'm not sure how I feel about a potential merger.

On one hand, I'd like to consider myself a rugby league fan first, and a Panthers fan second. And I do have a particular soft spot for the Eels.

But on the other hand, I don't think that 30+ years of emotional attachment is replaceable. I get chills watching their promo videos each year, I ride every game along with the players. I don't get that feeling in any other match, including Origin and Tests.

Hopefully it doesn't come to this as I'm having a really hard time evaluating the options.
Penrith/Parra merge thats sacrilege!
Better to see Wests/Balmain split, and us merge with Magpies and be a Super Wests club of Black and White, Tigers merge with Norths and play games in both CC and Leichardt Orange/Black, parra/dogs seems pausable stay at WSS as Blue/Gold. Easts/SeaEagles merge Maroon/Blue. Souths/Sharks merge Teal/Red.
None of this should happen, but its the better way to merge if it had to be done
Nothing about parramatta is good

TheFrog

Coach
'They all come through our systems': Penrith to cut junior funding
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...th-to-cut-junior-funding-20200331-p54fl4.html

The NRL's biggest nursery is set to be abandoned after Penrith CEO Brian Fletcher admitted they will not be able to maintain junior development due to the coronavirus shutdown.

Fletcher vowed that the Panthers would survive the pandemic despite being forced to shut down their five clubs due to government restrictions, a move that will reportedly cost them $25 million if they remain closed until the end of December.

But Fletcher conceded they would not be able to continue pumping millions into their junior programs in the future.

"We spend nearly $4 million in development. I can't possibly see us being involved in all that in the future," he told Sky Sports Radio.

"We are called the development club. We develop all the players basically for rugby league.

"They come through all our systems and end up playing for somebody else.

"But looking at the finances yesterday there is no way in the world we could justify spending $4 million a year on development through those competitions."

The Panthers pride themselves on developing the game's next generation, boasting more than 10,000 juniors in teams from bush footy to the second-tier Canterbury Cup.

However, Fletcher said sadly that would soon be a thing of the past.

"We only receive a grant of $350,000 from the NSWRL so you've got to look at it (development) as if it is your own business," Fletcher said.

"And that model used to work when you had plenty of cash going through poker machines but that is all changing at the moment so that is one area that will definitely change."

Fletcher was confident Panthers would survive the shutdown despite shutting down their money-making clubs which affected 700 staff.

"Our biggest problem is that we have five large clubs that closed down overnight - there's no income coming into the place," he said.

That's the big question for us - how long are we going to be closed down for?

"(But) we are OK. We will be there no matter how long it goes for.

"We are fortunate we have a lot of assets. You don't like selling assets in this climate but we can get through this."

AAP

TheFrog

Coach
I would suggest he's angling at some new arrangement in the new NRL where development clubs receive some recompense for players they develop and who end up first graders elsewhere. This has been a bugbear for many years and has led to formerly proud clubs like the Bulldogs and (especially) Parramatta relying like leeches on the junior development of others, mostly us.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
It will be a very, very sad day for our club if due to financial reasons we can no longer provide the same level of financial support to our juniors. Not only do we produce quality young players for our own club but the wider competition and it is a production line we have every reason to be immensely proud off.

franklin2323

Immortal
It will be a very, very sad day for our club if due to financial reasons we can no longer provide the same level of financial support to our juniors. Not only do we produce quality young players for our own club but the wider competition and it is a production line we have every reason to be immensely proud off.

I think we keep the 3 major ones. Can’t see country ones and Tarsha Gale lasting

Kilkenny

Coach
I think we keep the 3 major ones. Can’t see country ones and Tarsha Gale lasting

It’s just sad mate. The whole sorry mess is sad and while not politically correct to say it the damage could and should have been much less severe if not for a certain oppressive & dangerous communist regime.

John Hamblin

Juniors
I would suggest he's angling at some new arrangement in the new NRL where development clubs receive some recompense for players they develop and who end up first graders elsewhere. This has been a bugbear for many years and has led to formerly proud clubs like the Bulldogs and (especially) Parramatta relying like leeches on the junior development of others, mostly us.

I been saying this for years if another club signs one of our juniors we get compensation. This should apply also to players from country areas and the age of the player should NOT matter.

franklin2323

Immortal
I been saying this for years if another club signs one of our juniors we get compensation. This should apply also to players from country areas and the age of the player should NOT matter.

Others will be in the same boat as us. Should see stupid money for teenagers go now

Alintheeast

Juniors
This happens in the Premier League / EFL I believe.[/QUOTE
I thought the transfer fee was knocked on the head by the Dennis Tutty case. I think it is time to consider changing NRL clubs ownership, every team in the comp sets up a seperate arms length company that owns the team and it’s right to participate in the NRL. Fans and/or corporations can become shareholders proceeds of sale being returned to the clubs. This would give greater transparency and oversight as is requested on this forum occasionally. You own shares you get rights and companies are governed by Corporations Law. Lower grades and Juniors are funded by clubs.
Younger people refer to the Panthers, Roosters Rabbitohs not Penrith Easts or South Sydney. Teams are no longer Rugby League clubs they are commercial entities that should rise and fall on their own results ie no more million$ contracts funded by 13 home games a year