What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharne Warnes best Aussie XI he has played with

JJ

Immortal
He's gaining IQ points...

Yeah, Tim May was ok - but that McGill fella went all right...

Reid was really good... but didn't play much - no love for Brett Lee eh., or Craig McDermott (think they overlapped)..

TheParraboy

Staff member
He has always said (maybe when at ch9 only? lol) that Healy was the best keeper he played with

Little surprised Tubby not there, he has also claimed he was the best captain he played with

Australian Test team of better Australian Test captains and vice captains than Shane Warne (criteria - Allan Border era; Dec 1984 onwards)
  1. Taylor
  2. Warner (vc)
  3. Ponting
  4. Clarke
  5. S Waugh
  6. Border
  7. Gilchrist
  8. S Smith
  9. Cummins (vc)
  10. Hazelwood (vc)
  11. Watson (2000-2002 model when he bowled 145km/hr)
12th Man - M Hussey // R Hogg

Extra Levers - M Marsh

Bazal

Post Whore
Australian Test team of better Australian Test captains and vice captains than Shane Warne (criteria - Allan Border era; Dec 1984 onwards)
  1. Taylor
  2. Warner (vc)
  3. Ponting
  4. Clarke
  5. S Waugh
  6. Border
  7. Gilchrist
  8. S Smith
  9. Cummins (vc)
  10. Hazelwood (vc)
  11. Watson (2000-2002 model when he bowled 145km/hr)
12th Man - M Hussey // R Hogg

Extra Levers - M Marsh

It always amazes me when people say shit like "Warne was the best captain that never got a go" or whatever.

Listen to him speak. That's all the evidence you need that he would have been an abysmal captain

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Tbh I think the one selection that surprises me is Bruce Reid, I mean he play something like two tests with him. Whilst people said he was the most unluckiest cricketer with his injuries, its surprising that he hasn't gone with Merv, Lee, McDermott, Reiffel or Fleming.

Just with Steve Waugh's selection, I mean that's caused a little bit of stir in the media stating he's back flipped on his opinion, but if I remember correctly the last time he mentioned the players in the 90s, he mentions the likes of McGrath, Healy, Taylor, Slater, Border, Boon and the Waugh twins. Didn't leave out Steve, but it would've been quite obvious if he said Mark Waugh only.

I don't think Warne's ever doubted Steve's cricketing ability, just refers to him as a selfish person but in one interview he said he was always calm and cool every time he battered against the Windies and South Africa fast bowlers, cause he thought he was tougher than them, which made him a great batsman.

Unlike Ian Chappell who continuingly finds excuses to leave out Steve Waugh in a certain 11, like a 1990s one or so forth. Don't know what Steve did to p1ss Ian off.

Tim May might surprise a lot of people but in Warne's biography, he thought having a leg spin off spin combo helped him bowl better and enjoyed playing with Tim May.

Imagine if Warne bowled with Lyon.

The team of the 90s pretty much picks itself though...

Taylor
Slater
Boon
M Waugh
S Waugh
Border
Healy WK ( kept all bar 6 tests of 108 Australia played in the 1990s)
Warne
McGrath
McDermott
Gillespie or Merv
A fit Fleming would be handy too.

2000s Test team too...
Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Clarke
Martyn
Hussey