What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sphagnum

Coach
V'landys has done a lot for NSW racing (The championships, the everest, the broadcast deal etc)
He is very effective at marketing the image of NSW racing too.

A marketer, manager and innovator is something the NRL desperately needs. V'landys is a logical choice who is very well connected and has experience managing a sport with gambling components, staffing and funding tiers as well as broadcast rights and seasonal optimization requirements.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
V'Landys is a very good operator and most of the Journos are aware what great things he has done for Racing as the majority are big punters.

I did think it was a big challenge for him to do both rolls, however in usual circumstances he could probably do both without too much issue. Unfortunately he has found himself at the forefront of a one in a hundred year epidemic which has the potential to crush both industries and the entire economy.

Sure the merkin could do with a beer or two.

Nevan_

First Grade
I would imagine that you would learn how to keep your mouth shut and not ask too many questions as an administrator in the racing industry. He’s the man I’d want if I were involved in a corrupt organisation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hmm drugging of horses, slaughtering of horses, his org has had numerous ethical problems over the years it would seem. His claim to fame seems to have been that he managed to screw more money out of bookies and govt. but as we have seen now having more money isn’t the be all and end of all of running a sports code from grassroots to professionals.
He has a mouth that tends to run without thought or consideration, that will hurt us once the media get fed up of beating up on Greenberg and move on to their next nrl target.

they guy went on tv and claimed he knew nothing then this came out that he had got emails about it a year before. seriously dodgy character.

Still could be worse, he could be running greyhounds!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10...bited-thoroughbred-sales-2018-emails/11633132

Last edited:

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
In my opinion V’landys has a pass mark. It’s incredible that the media say he’s doing an amazing job. It’s funny because John grant And Beattie were smashed by the media and others on here for apparently being so public. But geez since V’landys has taken over, for a chairman he has been everything he said he wouldn’t be. In one press conference he actually finished a question directed at Greenberg. He doesn’t seem that media savvy either but the journalists keep letting him off.

V’landys has been on the commission for 2 years now (March/2018). There will be a time where he can’t blame the past leaders and journalists will come for him.

Chook Norris

First Grade
It's not unusual at all for people to be the chair of more than one organisation or on the board of multiple organisations. Ive seen a few peculiar ones. As I understand it based on corporate law, as long as you declare it and step out of discussions where there are conflicts of interest.

But yes, this still does come off as unusual.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Some should ask V'landys what is this 'rugba league' game he keeps speaking of.

'Rugba League, Rugba League'

Danish

Referee
V'landys has done a lot for NSW racing (The championships, the everest, the broadcast deal etc)
He is very effective at marketing the image of NSW racing too.

A marketer, manager and innovator is something the NRL desperately needs. V'landys is a logical choice who is very well connected and has experience managing a sport with gambling components, staffing and funding tiers as well as broadcast rights and seasonal optimization requirements.

He has also taken on and spanked the Victorians with glee in his position with Racing NSW, to the point that all but the Melbourne Cup is now overshadowed by Sydney's spring racing line up.

I can't see him taking a backwards step when taking the fight to the AFL.

Spot On

Coach
Some should ask V'landys what is this 'rugba league' game he keeps speaking of.

'Rugba League, Rugba League'

That's the game that signed up for a close to 2 billion dollar tv rights deal but doesn't have 5 cents in the bank due to the incompetence of its administrators.

He is being nice holding back and not calling it what it really is.

Now he gets to salvage what might be left.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's the game that signed up for a close to 2 billion dollar tv rights deal but doesn't have 5 cents in the bank due to the incompetence of its administrators.

He’s been a commissioner for two years, now he’s going to save the game?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

Nine didn't hand over $2 billion up front though. It was to be payed on a quarterly basis over 5 years (IE: approx $100 million per quarter)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Vlandys has taken over the ceo job in everything but title. Greenberg will be gone soon and good luck finding a decent ceo when you have a chairman undermine him/her and wanting to run the operations.

I wonder how long Greenberg is going to let V'landys do his job before he walks?

V'landys: “It may happen that yes we do have to reduce the cap, but that will be last resort for me."

I guess grassroots can expect to take another hit for the clubs and players?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...g/news-story/367855033fee7b7c5eb430aba5adf890

So Greenberg offered players $12mil and V'landys upped it $24.5mill. Our game is in safe hands lol

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...dd-greenberg-on-pay/3howsfkj71ex1i694g6ivcxe0

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
A mistake he made in his recent press conference was going public on the game going to the government for a hand out, which just brought negativity to the game which we didn't need. By all means go to the government but don't go blubbering it to everyone....discretion Pete, discretion!!

One thing the game has lacked is creating a positive perception, which the AFL is always good at.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
A mistake he made in his recent press conference was going public on the game going to the government for a hand out, which just bought negativity to the game which we didn't need. By all means go to the government but don't go blubbering it to everyone....discretion Pete, discretion!!

One thing the game has lacked is creating a positive perception, which the AFL is always good at.

AFL secure $600m line of credit from two of the big banks.

Rugby League can't borrow $6.

Vlandys did the right thing looking for a handout.

Again, 1.8 billion or so tv rights deal and f**k all cash in the bank.

Disgraceful.

Latest posts