What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New restrictions closing clubs - this could be big trouble

John Hamblin

Juniors
The district does not fund the team .The leagues club sponsors and supporters do.The leagues club started to support the football team .It is in its charter
Anyone buying the NRL licence will move for sure ..The juniors cost 2to 3 million to run every year without a senior club it makes no sense for the leagues club to keep doing that
So the juniors need the seniors .And to a degree the seniors need the juniors

The doom and gloom brigade are out again. There was a lot of negativity before the season started I was confident that we would be much better than last year, Lets be positive we have a lot to look forward to, Premiership in 2022?

murraymob

Coach
The doom and gloom brigade are out again. There was a lot of negativity before the season started I was confident that we would be much better than last year, Lets be positive we have a lot to look forward to, Premiership in 2022?
Perhaps you should read my earlier comments in the game threads .you will see who is positive about the team

Kilkenny

Coach
I am not personally aware of Brian’s credential’s but he is going to have to be very good at his job to enable the club to recover from this situation we are currently faced with.

I think ‘sport’ is such an important part of our DNA in Australia (as it is in other parts of the world) that I think the sooner we can get our major sporting codes up and running again the better of the fabric of our society will be.

I can’t see this virus being totally eradicated any time soon so at some stage even if people are still at risk of contracting the virus we have to attempt to get people back to work and attempt to recover from this mess. We simply can’t be in an indefinite cycle of being locked down.

franklin2323

Immortal
I am not personally aware of Brian’s credential’s but he is going to have to be very good at his job to enable the club to recover from this situation we are currently faced with.

I think ‘sport’ is such an important part of our DNA in Australia (as it is in other parts of the world) that I think the sooner we can get our major sporting codes up and running again the better of the fabric of our society will be.

I can’t see this virus being totally eradicated any time soon so at some stage even if people are still at risk of contracting the virus we have to attempt to get people back to work and attempt to recover from this mess. We simply can’t be in an indefinite cycle of being locked down.

Queensland had 36 new cases overnight. If this continues then maybe can start the comp back up there and go from there

Pomoz

Bench
Interesting comments from Peter Peters on us and the whole Corona virus.
He gave the Eels a good spray at the end.
http://www.skyracing.com.au/radio.php?do=aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLnNreXJhY2luZy5jb20uYXUvUE9ELzU5L1JtNkVjdy5tcDM=&title=Peter Peters
The ramblings of an old man. "The older I am the better I was". Referring to the good old days as though it was perfect back in the 80's. Talking about how he gets a bad feeling when goes into league headquarters. FFS Zorba, you had your day, stop throwing rocks and talking about your "feelings" and "how good it was back in the day". It wasn't, it was a tiny semi amateur business on the cusp of a digital revolution. Enjoyable to watch? Sure, but nothing like the billion dollar business it is now.

Listening to these leagies talking about media and how they should run promotions is embarrassing. Great idea, hand control over to the pay TV networks so they control your future, good idea boys, any others? They have no experience in running a big business, no idea and are all living in the past.

They completely overlook all the improvements in the game and the wealth it now generates. Revenue that just wasn't being created back in the 80's, when Tina ruled, the biff was celebrated and half the players had to have a job because they couldn't live on the wages they made playing.

Of course mistakes have been made and the massive head office overhead that has grown over time is one of them. It is symptomatic of a business that has experienced rapid growth (which of course, it has) and creates jobs to try and cope cope with it. Like all businesses it reaches a point when the growth stops and then they stop and trim the sails and reset their organisation. That was coming regardless of the coronavirus and I have gone through this experience myself (I'm sure many others have too). The cuts won't be nice, they never are, but they happen in every business from time to time and aren't peculiar to the NRL.

As for his comments on the Panthers,Bulldogs and other leagues club dependant franchises, he seems a bit confused. He views private ownership as good, but using leagues clubs to fund teams as bad. What difference does it matter what funding model is used? Tinkler went broke and the Knights were left in huge trouble. That could happen to the owners of Manly, South's or East's for that matter. They also have other people depending on them other than their football teams.

Scott Penn is CEO of a health business. What if he needs that money to prop up his health business? What if some of Politis's investments go wrong? What happens to the Roosters then? His comment that private owners are used to losing money so another year of losses is nothing is laughable. Every business in Australia, not just league teams will be going through a massive recession as the economy adjusts to the lockdown. It is not just another year of losses, it is a year of losses in just about every business in Australia.

The Leagues club are called that because they were originally set up to fund and support the league teams. It is a great model and a tradition that created a place for the community to celebrate their local team. How much money have these clubs put back into the local community as well as their teams? He seems almost delighted at the prospect that these wonderful clubs might fold and the privately owned teams will survive. What a sad, grumpy old man.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach

Todd Hoffman

Juniors
Interesting comments from Peter Peters on us and the whole Corona virus.
He gave the Eels a good spray at the end.
http://www.skyracing.com.au/radio.php?do=aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLnNreXJhY2luZy5jb20uYXUvUE9ELzU5L1JtNkVjdy5tcDM=&title=Peter Peters

He hates the Eels.
Zorba always has an axe to grind or is talking shit or throwing it. Only Manly fans can put up with it, though that is a stretch at times.
He would have NFI about other club finances.
One would go broke following his racing tips too.

Kilkenny

Coach
As I sit here typing away I cannot help but feel let down by our politicians not by the way they are handling the current crises but for the fact for many years now we have been selling of our major assets and become indebted to China. The communist regime of China don’t give a hoot about Australia or any other trading partner they are all about themselves. I have no issue with the people of China who are largely a victim themselves of a regime which is dangerous, oppressive and for the most part in the country there is the super wealthy and then there is the other 95% of the population. Forgetting for a fleeting moment we have no footy to enjoy we are going to be trillions in debt for many, many years to come as a direct consequence of the actions of the Communist Chinese Regime. I’m sorry for making this political statement this forum is not the right place for such a rant but the whole situation really pisses me off given it was largely avoidable. When the dust settles and we are saddled with a debt we are never going to pay off in our life time them just maybe we need some politicians prepared to call a spade a spade and call out the Communist Regime of China. We should punish them where it hurts them most and stop importing there cheaper crap and to quote a certain Donald Trump quote, Let’s Make Australia Great Again. A good start would be to stop selling off our major assists to the Chinese and just perhaps re-establish our manufacturing industry.

Sorry for the rant guys. I’m not on facebook or instragram and have no where else to express my politically in correct views.

MugaB

Coach
As I sit here typing away I cannot help but feel let down by our politicians not by the way they are handling the current crises but for the fact for many years now we have been selling of our major assets and become indebted to China. The communist regime of China don’t give a hoot about Australia or any other trading partner they are all about themselves. I have no issue with the people of China who are largely a victim themselves of a regime which is dangerous, oppressive and for the most part in the country there is the super wealthy and then there is the other 95% of the population. Forgetting for a fleeting moment we have no footy to enjoy we are going to be trillions in debt for many, many years to come as a direct consequence of the actions of the Communist Chinese Regime. I’m sorry for making this political statement this forum is not the right place for such a rant but the whole situation really pisses me off given it was largely avoidable. When the dust settles and we are saddled with a debt we are never going to pay off in our life time them just maybe we need some politicians prepared to call a spade a spade and call out the Communist Regime of China. We should punish them where it hurts them most and stop importing there cheaper crap and to quote a certain Donald Trump quote, Let’s Make Australia Great Again. A good start would be to stop selling off our major assists to the Chinese and just perhaps re-establish our manufacturing industry.

Sorry for the rant guys. I’m not on facebook or instragram and have no where else to express my politically in correct views.
I love a good rant, keep going here as long as you like, as long as there is no parra talk, any rant is a good rant, in my opinion

TheFrog

Coach
Forgetting for a fleeting moment we have no footy to enjoy we are going to be trillions in debt for many, many years to come as a direct consequence of the actions of the Communist Chinese Regime.
Humans could not engineer the mutations that have caused this virus to become so dangerous to us. This is an act of God.

Latest posts