What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye friz

Old Timer

Coach
Yesterday you didn't know the difference between a Joint Venture and a merger.
"This website" you are referencing is Wikipedia, an open source platform that anyone can edit.
And I can find sources to counter that, including the Wikipedia source you are using (but for some reason refuse to link to). Look to my previous posts and my sig file.

Here's the thing, you and Red73V don't decide how others choose to support their team This absurd notion that you know the ONLY TRUTH (caps are for Redv73's benefit) lacks reason. It's a shame that your obvious taste for argument with certain forum members has influenced your thought patterns to the point that you must disagree with pretty much everything they say, even if it is to sell out your own club's heritage.

Think what you like - if you see everything as black-and-white and naught in between, then good for you. But others are entitled to disagree, and there's nothing you can do about that.
What a f**ktard response by you.
I never said you couldn't think what you like I merely defended the thought process I applied to the discussion after it was attacked / questioned by muzby, yourself and perhaps a few others.
I believe you people are in fact telling myself, Redv73's and a few others what we should believe and that you and muzby are the rightful holders of the truth. There are many people split in opinion as to how this panned out and to the best of my knowledge very conflicting evidence as to the right answer.
I have never sold out the clubs heritage but the heritage since 1998 is of a different kind to me and it is linked to an entity I neither like or hold any credibility for.
I hold dear all things St George and for you to question that is most unreasonable just because I don't concur with your assertions.
Re not knowing the difference between a JV & merger you like muzby want to be the schoolmaster without even considering that someone simply used the wrong terminology which in this discussion can be easy to do.
So if others are entitled to disagree in your opinion then let that thought permeate your brain as to how someone escalated the initial posts from RedV 73's.

SBD82

Coach
You need to get a room with muzby :heart_eyes:
So you can’t. Ok. I’m still bored.

As to your suggestion... Not sure I’d want to risk having to spend 12 months isolation with him if increased lockdown measures come into place? No offence @muzby but I think we’d murder each other by the end of it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
What a f**ktard response by you.
Didn't read past that.

Unfortunately, the discussion ends once you go the aggro. There's no place for it here or anywhere else for that matter. Happy to continue if you can show your anger management issues have been sorted.

Good luck.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So you can’t. Ok. I’m still bored.

As to your suggestion... Not sure I’d want to risk having to spend 12 months isolation with him if increased lockdown measures come into place? No offence @muzby but I think we’d murder each other by the end of it.
No offence taken..

I get cabin fever just hanging out with myself, so I can’t imagine how bad it must be for others..

SGMax

Juniors
Yeah, nah.

I think the great (and late) Graeme Langlands once summed it up best. When asked for this thoughts on the JV, he reportedly said he didn’t understand the difference because as far as he was concerned, St. George was always a part of the Illawarra and vice versa.

I like this.

Nobody took any notice when :
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs became Sydney Bulldogs and then back again
........also when Berries became Bulldogs
Eastern Suburbs became Sydney Roosters
South Sydney disbanded for years and were then re-created and continued as the originally formed team.

We are still the Dragons and St. George club continued without interruption as a football club.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yeah, nah.

I think the great (and late) Graeme Langlands once summed it up best. When asked for this thoughts on the JV, he reportedly said he didn’t understand the difference because as far as he was concerned, St. George was always a part of the Illawarra and vice versa.
Chang said a few things on the topic. As a Wollongong lad, he did indeed see St George and Illawarra as one of the same.

In December, 2000, he referred to the Illawarra as "a big backyard", and did so in a complimentary way - due to the number of footballers from the south coast who had played for St George. The obvious metaphor being that St George and Illawarra are on the same block of land.

Later, he also said, "...just call us St George."

And people still do.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I like this.

Nobody took any notice when :
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs became Sydney Bulldogs and then back again
........also when Berries became Bulldogs
Eastern Suburbs became Sydney Roosters
South Sydney disbanded for years and were then re-created and continued as the originally formed team.

We are still the Dragons and St. George club continued without interruption as a football club.

The way I look at things is simple. If the Dragons were a merged club, there wouldn’t be any reference to St. George or Illawarra (Steelers). The club in its new form would have a entirely different name.

And, what is not recognised nearly enough is that the two terms (JV and merger) are paradoxical. In short, any entity is either one or the other. It’s a shame that lazy journalism has perpetuated this fallacy.

BTW, much to their chagrin, I consider Eastern Suburbs and Sydney Roosters to be a brace of completely different clubs. It may be factually incorrect, but it still pisses their two fans off.

Phantom V

Juniors
What's the answer for Widdop?

I'll throw my 2 cents in for what it's worth. Firstly as this forum is about TF leaving the club, I am disappointed but I also think it's the least of our worries atm.The loss of a good backrower is not going to cost us a premiership.

In my humble opinion we need to fix our halves. Ben Hunt has good intentions but he is not capable of steering a team around the park. As for Cory Norman, I was willing to give him a chance but his heart isn't in it. He has as much ability as Garth Widdop but GW was a winner and gave his all in every game he played with us.

Which leads me to my next point ( is that an elephant in the room?) Our coach!
I'm astounded that he's still head coach of our great club. Too many blatantly wrong decisions and our playing style is the worst to watch of any team in the comp.
Hang tough brothers, I'm off to get a coldie!

TruSaint

Referee
I'll throw my 2 cents in for what it's worth. Firstly as this forum is about TF leaving the club, I am disappointed but I also think it's the least of our worries atm.The loss of a good backrower is not going to cost us a premiership.

In my humble opinion we need to fix our halves. Ben Hunt has good intentions but he is not capable of steering a team around the park. As for Cory Norman, I was willing to give him a chance but his heart isn't in it. He has as much ability as Garth Widdop but GW was a winner and gave his all in every game he played with us.

Which leads me to my next point ( is that an elephant in the room?) Our coach!
I'm astounded that he's still head coach of our great club. Too many blatantly wrong decisions and our playing style is the worst to watch of any team in the comp.
Hang tough brothers, I'm off to get a coldie!

welcome to the forum.

possm

Coach
Simple question
Did anybody that ever won a premiership at St George prior to 1998 have the word Illawarra on their jersey or the word Illawarra in their playing contract or was it ever on the JJ Giltinan Shield when it was the premiership trophy?
St George as a singular entity won 15 premierships and as a merged entity it has won 1.
The merged entity and the former entity are not IMO one and the same entity.
Does anyone ealise that Cronulla-Sutherland, Canterbury-Bankstown and Manly-Warringa were merged football clubs. None of these Clubs lost history and none had to start there success count all over again when they dorpped their merged club and adopted a singular name.

Illawarra is now not a share-holder or owner of SGI. They are not a licence holder of an NRL club.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Does anyone ealise that Cronulla-Sutherland, Canterbury-Bankstown and Manly-Warringa were merged football clubs. None of these Clubs lost history and none had to start there success count all over again when they dorpped their merged club and adopted a singular name.

Illawarra is now not a share-holder or owner of SGI. They are not a licence holder of an NRL club.

Mate, none of the Clubs you mentioned have changed their entity or licence holding within the game. Have they changed their name, abbreviated it, yes. We entered into a JV with another club.

We didn't just become the Sydney Dragons, or the Southern Saints, we joined with another licensee to form a jv called the St George Illawarra Dragons.

As much as i understand the point you are trying to make, it's not comparable.

Dragon for life

Juniors
I understand your point SGMax . It would be very hard to put in when you don’t respect the person delivery the half time speech. That’s why at representative level Tyson excelled , every player was on the same page . Don’t forget Mary’s useless bench rotation 9 times out of ten there would be one reserve who would only get about 10 minutes of play when all the forwards needed a much deserved rest . Hence the second half fade outs & decline in the later part of the season. Mary’s power game & NO PLAN B.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

I find that difficult to believe.

Can you show me where Sutherland, Warringah and Bankstown were ever stand alone teams?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
F**k me!! You think we’ll have recovered from Mary by then. Dreamtime mate, better go for a walk about!
We’ll do it..

Jettison Mary by end of 2021, get in a new coach and with the cattle we have plus the talented Illawarra juniors coming through we’ll get to the grand final..

Fingers crossed we’ve dropped the St George choking hoodoo by then too :fingers_crossed:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

As others have said, those clubs have names which represents suburbs which are geographically next door to each other.

None merged.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
We’ll do it..

Jettison Mary by end of 2021, get in a new coach and with the cattle we have plus the talented Illawarra juniors coming through we’ll get to the grand final..

Fingers crossed we’ve dropped the St George choking hoodoo by then too :fingers_crossed:

Better to have “choked” than never be good enough to reach “the big dance”. Besides their sole Tooheys Challenge Cup victory, the only proclivity the Illawarra Steelers had was a penchant for wooden spoons.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Better to have “choked” than never be good enough to reach “the big dance”. Besides their sole Tooheys Challenge Cup victory, the only proclivity the Illawarra Steelers had was a penchant for wooden spoons.
Many times so far we’ve said the Steelers shouldn’t be considered in this discussion as their shares have been sold to WIN..

The Steelers legacy, as bright as it burned, has fizzled out in the JV.

It is a shame though, as when a stand alone club they had a 100% winning record in games where a title was on offer..

Unfortunately St George’s choking culture brought that down to 50% for titles on offer during the JV..

Latest posts