What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dodgy

Juniors
He has also taken on and spanked the Victorians with glee in his position with Racing NSW, to the point that all but the Melbourne Cup is now overshadowed by Sydney's spring racing line up.

I can't see him taking a backwards step when taking the fight to the AFL.
The wider Victorians don't give a shit. It's hardly an impressive accomplishment.

If I'm right, convention says that Melbourne's racing carnival is in the spring and Sydney's is in the autumn.

All Vlandys "did" was piggyback off the success of Melbourne racing by manufacturing a spring carnival with an event that has no passion, but generates legitimacy by having to become the richest race. It's been bought, which is lame.These type of horse racing events live off casual interest.

If he was as good as you thought. He'd have been able generate the same success in the spring without the Everest being the richest race. If he was as good as you thought, the autumn racing carnival would be comparable to Melbourne's in the spring. Instead it passes by like a whiff..

Canard

Immortal
He has also taken on and spanked the Victorians with glee in his position with Racing NSW, to the point that all but the Melbourne Cup is now overshadowed by Sydney's spring racing line up.

I can't see him taking a backwards step when taking the fight to the AFL.

Laughable, the Spring Racing Carnival shits on anything related to Sydney Racing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Laughable, the Spring Racing Carnival shits on anything related to Sydney Racing.

beating an animal so it runs faster is hardly a sporting achievement at any time of the year! Vlandys comes across as the sort of sleeze that would be in charge of a business like horse racing, or a cheap strip joint. Probably why slothfield likes him.

Canard

Immortal
beating an animal so it runs faster is hardly a sporting achievement at any time of the year! Vlandys comes across as the sort of sleeze that would be in charge of a business like horse racing, or a cheap strip joint. Probably why slothfield likes him.

I'd be pretty surprised if he is still Commissioner at the other end of this.

gordsy

Juniors
Assuming what he says is true I'm a fan of his stance that players should be the last people to take pay cuts for next year. The 25% cut taken by little todd is a joke. Make it 75% like the players.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming what he says is true I'm a fan of his stance that players should be the last people to take pay cuts for next year. The 25% cut taken by little todd is a joke. Make it 75% like the players.

AFL secure $600m line of credit from two of the big banks.

Rugby League can't borrow $6.

Vlandys did the right thing looking for a handout.

Again, 1.8 billion or so tv rights deal and f**k all cash in the bank.

Disgraceful.

To get that I'll bet the AFL had to put up Marvel Stadium as collateral for the loans. Might be tough times but the banks are not going to give out unsecured loans to people in current circumstances.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Betting turn over was higher on the Everest than it was for the Caulfield Cup on the same day.

And if it was such a nothing event why did the Vicmongs try and copy it with the All Plod Mile???

I’m not sure on what kind of job V’Landy’s will do for RL but he has done an outstanding one for NSW racing. Sure nothing beats the Spring carnival but he has made NSW Racing matter after September when normally it’s totally forgotten until March the next year.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
AFL secure $600m line of credit from two of the big banks.

Rugby League can't borrow $6.

Vlandys did the right thing looking for a handout.

Again, 1.8 billion or so tv rights deal and f**k all cash in the bank.

Disgraceful.

Agreed RL should look for a handout. However we all know RL is an easy target for the media, AFL cops nowhere near the heat we do. Thus be discrete.

The AFL goes to the government for millions for grounds and no one says anything, league does it and there is an outrage.

Another example look at their obvious social drug culture that has been there for years the media turn a blind eye to it, yet a league player has a few beers and there is an outrage

Spot On

Coach
To get that I'll bet the AFL had to put up Marvel Stadium as collateral for the loans. Might be tough times but the banks are not going to give out unsecured loans to people in current circumstances.

... and the AFL has an asset that can be used to secure said loan.

NRL has... $6 in the bank.

Spot On

Coach

Whip rules exist champ.

Spot On

Coach
Betting turn over was higher on the Everest than it was for the Caulfield Cup on the same day.

And if it was such a nothing event why did the Vicmongs try and copy it with the All Plod Mile???

I’m not sure on what kind of job V’Landy’s will do for RL but he has done an outstanding one for NSW racing. Sure nothing beats the Spring carnival but he has made NSW Racing matter after September when normally it’s totally forgotten until March the next year.

There are a few deadshits in here who seemongly have little to no idea of the positive impact Vlandys and Racing NSW have had on racing STATE WIDE not just the flagship days and events such as The Championship and The Everest. Not just for the big stables and jockeys.

Country Championship series and finals, massive increase in country prize money etc has increased income across all trainers and owners.

He has been brilliant for the WHOLE of racing.

And we've all heard the NRL talk about looking after the Whole of Game ad nauseum... something they have failed to do.

Vlandys at least has some idea of how to look at the WHOLE of GAME idea as those before have squandered hundreds of millions and watched over the death of jnr and bush footy... and have $6 in the bank to show for it.

Spot On

Coach
You can't buy tradition. We should remember this, it's a massive asset.

Traditions can start from anywhere.

Mlb racing had become stale and they have been forced to change.

Racing NSW effected that change through Vlandys leadership and direction at Racing NSW.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whip rules exist champ.

are you saying they don’t beat the horse to make it run faster? If so why have a whip? Oh I get it your saying they are only allowed to beat it a little, not as much as they’d like, but just a bit to make it run faster. Sounds so much better lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Vlandys at least has some idea of how to look at the WHOLE of GAME idea as those before have squandered hundreds of millions and watched over the death of jnr and bush footy... and have $6 in the bank to show for it.

this is another one of those nrl beat ups that just doesn’t hold water. Funding to states leagues and grassroots has gone from $37mill in 2013 to $88.3 million on 2019. That’s a massive increase in 7 years for grassroots funding. Maybe you should be questioning nswrl and CRL if you aren’t seeing the benefits of that on the ground. In WA that increased funding has made a big difference with new clubs starting up every year and our player numbers increasing year on year.

Latest posts