What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You go girls

Father Ted

First Grade
https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugby-league/nrlw-in-limbo-dragons-want-to-play-on/ar-BB11TyfP?ocid=msedgntp

AA6uubQ.img

NRLW in limbo, Dragons want to play on

BB11UmbQ.img
© Getty SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - SEPTEMBER 29: Dragons players celebrate their win during the NRLW match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and the Sydney Roosters at Leichhardt Oval on September 29, 2019 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Evans/Getty Images)
St George Illawarra have confirmed their commitment to the 2020 NRLW season following reports the Sydney Roosters and Warriors would withdraw to cut costs during the NRL shutdown.

The Nine Media reports came as a shock to NRLW players who remain confused about the future of their competition this season - particularly for Roosters and Warriors players who read about their teams' potential withdrawal in the media.

The NRL has denied it has been notified by the Roosters or the Warriors of their plans to withdraw, which would wipe out half of the competition.

Only four teams make up the NRLW, and clubs are primarily responsible for footing the bill for their teams, which is estimated at up to $500,000 a season.

The NRL is now under pressure to cough up the cash to fund the competition if it goes ahead this season.

In a brief statement provided to AAP on Monday, the Dragons said they are waiting to hear the NRL's stance on the women's competition this season, but are determined to play if it is given the green light.

"St George Illawarra are committed to its women's team endeavours in 2020," the statement read.

"The Dragons are awaiting to hear the NRL's stance on the 2020 NRL Women's Premiership and whether it will proceed.

"The unprecedented pandemic everyone is currently facing isn't discriminating. Sporting competitions, regardless of gender, have or are being cancelled and suspended due to Covid-19 globally.

"It is a reflection of the worldwide societal climate, and not on the women's game, if a 2020 edition of the competition doesn't eventuate."

The Broncos, who have won the first two NRLW premierships, have been contacted to confirm if they will field a team this year if the competition goes ahead.

The NRLW was due to be discussed at the ARLC meeting on Monday morning, although a decision on the 2020 competition was not reached.

The belief within rugby league headquarters is it is too early to make a decision on whether to cancel the competition given it is tied heavily to the commercial outcomes of the men's game.

However, given there is clarity over the lower grade competitions and increasing certainties for NRL players, the pressure is building on the NRL and clubs to afford their female stars the same respect amid mounting confusion.

An NRL spokesperson told AAP: "The NRLW remains an important consideration in ongoing discussions around the implications of the COVID-19 pandemic.

"The NRL will advise if there are any updates or changes to this when appropriate."

The RLPA has minimal ties to the NRLW but can offer support to the marquee players.

"I think (the 2020 NRLW season) is going to come down to any type of season structure or season schedule that they look to put to broadcasters and what money is available," said RLPA chief executive Clint Newton.

"Obviously it's been a big part of the game's advancement and something they'll need to work through based on the funding arrangements that they look to secure with broadcasters."

gitano

Juniors
Alas the quality is not there - expansion would only accentuate this.

The NRLW need to find their niche, I don't feel traditional 13 v 13 is it.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Alas the quality is not there - expansion would only accentuate this.

The NRLW need to find their niche, I don't feel traditional 13 v 13 is it.
It is close. Women's Origin, while just two teams, proves this.

AFLW is a couple of years ahead of NRLW and they are beginning to see the second generation of female players coming on board and making an impact.

gitano

Juniors
It is close. Women's Origin, while just two teams, proves this.

AFLW is a couple of years ahead of NRLW and they are beginning to see the second generation of female players coming on board and making an impact.
I watch women's tennis because...well, other reasons, but because I couldn't beat them.

I watch women's golf for the same reasons.

WNRL is probably about under 14s quality if not lower.

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

NRLW coach Lacey previews season 2020

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Breaking
Dragons confirm 2020 NRL Women's Premiership squad
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 24 Sep 2020, 07:54 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced its 2020 NRL Telstra Women's Premiership squad following the completion of all necessary paperwork pertinent to player contracts and Covid-19 protocol approvals.

The Dragons' 2020 22-woman squad is headlined by the signings of Australia Jillaroos duo Steph Hancock and Isabelle Kelly, Papua New Guinea Orchids skipper Elsie Albert and the return of inaugural captain Sam Bremner.

Front-rower Hancock and centre Kelly – two of the biggest names in the women's game – join the Red V from the two-time premiership-winning Brisbane Broncos and Sydney Roosters respectively.

Front-rower Albert is the first Papua New Guinean native to sign with an NRL Women's Premiership team in a historic moment for women's rugby league, while fullback Bremner returns to NRLW action following the birth of her son.

The Dragons have named Bremner and the returning Kezie Apps as co-captains for the 2020 campaign, as the club looks to avenge last season's grand final defeat.

"It was an absolute privilege to include Isabelle in our Nines team in February so to see her join the club for the true season is brilliant," Dragons Women's Premiership coach Daniel Lacey said.

"She's still young, but brings plenty of experience. It provides us balance on both sides [of the field] and helps foster further big game experience into our squad.

"Everybody already knows what Steph will bring to the Dragons. I'm looking forward to seeing her influence on the younger squad members as they transition to that semi-professional environment.

"Steph has an aura about her, both as a player and also in demonstrating a winning culture. Let's not forget that she's still playing good football and still has plenty to offer.

"Sammy has unfinished business. She only played our first ever game before she was ruled out with injury. She's worked really hard to get back to this point and I can't wait to see her go around.

Lacey added: "There's no other way to describe Elsie other than an out-and-out trailblazer for women's sport in Papua New Guinea. She has had a lot of obstacles and hurdles thrown her way over the years but now she can safely say she's the first Papua New Guinean native to earn an NRLW contract."

remote.axd

Isabelle Kelly signs with NRLW Dragons

Including Bremner and Kelly, 12 players from the Dragons' victorious Perth Nines tournament have signed up to represent the Red V once again ahead of the third ever Women's Premiership season.

"Covid-19 has put some restrictions on what we had hoped to do but to have 10 girls return from last year's grand final team on top of Sammy and Izzy who were part of our Nines victory is a great accolade for the club," Lacey said.

"The fact the girls all wanted to come back is a great show of loyalty by them. We had a taste of holding up a trophy in Perth earlier this year and we learnt what it takes to win, which can only be a positive for our upcoming campaign."

There's no other way to describe Elsie other than an out-and-out trailblazer for women's sport in Papua New Guinea. She has had a lot of obstacles and hurdles thrown her way over the years but now she can safely say she's the first Papua New Guinean native to earn an NRLW contract.

Daniel Lacey Dragons NRLW coach
In a nod to the importance of the Dragons' well-established women's pathway, 2019 development player Jaime Chapman will step up into the top squad this season.

Chapman joins teammates Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausili and Maddison Weatherall as those to have graduated from the club's women's development player squad.

"Jaime is one to watch. I've had the luxury of coaching 'Chappo' in the Under-18s New South Wales Origin team and I really believe in her capabilities," Lacey said. "I was more than happy to hand over a contract to her once she became of age earlier this year."

Tri-international Mahalia Murphy, local juniors Teagan Berry and Jade Etherden, Fiji international Talei Holmes, Samoa international Christine Pauli, New South Wales Country representative Ellie Johnston and former Super W and rugby sevens star Georgia Page round out the Dragons' squad.

The Dragons have also launched its 2020 NRLW membership campaign ahead of next week's season commencement.

You can show your support for the club's Women's Premiership endeavours by becoming a 2020 Dragons NRLW member.

Each Women's Premiership member will receive an exclusive NRLW member keyring, car sticker and certificate of membership to mark your support. Plus the first 100 members to sign up with receive a complimentary 2020 Red V member scarf!

Become a Dragons Women's Premiership member today. Sign up here.

d_nrlw2020collateral_fbbanner.jpg

2020 St George Illawarra Dragons' NRL Holden Women's Premiership squad:
  • Elsie Albert
  • Kezie Apps
  • Shaylee Bent
  • Teagan Berry
  • Sam Bremner
  • Jaime Chapman
  • Keeley Davis
  • Jade Etherden
  • Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausili
  • Steph Hancock
  • Talei Holmes
  • Rikeya Horne
  • Ellie Johnston
  • Isabelle Kelly
  • Mahalia Murphy
  • Georgia Page
  • Christine Pauli
  • Tiana Penitani
  • Jessica Sergis
  • Maddie Studdon
  • Shakiah Tungai
  • Maddison Weatherall
https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/09/24/dragons-confirm-2020-nrl-womens-premiership-squad/

jeffdragon

Bench
remote.axd

NRLW coach Lacey previews season 2020

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Breaking
Dragons confirm 2020 NRL Women's Premiership squad
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 24 Sep 2020, 07:54 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced its 2020 NRL Telstra Women's Premiership squad following the completion of all necessary paperwork pertinent to player contracts and Covid-19 protocol approvals.

The Dragons' 2020 22-woman squad is headlined by the signings of Australia Jillaroos duo Steph Hancock and Isabelle Kelly, Papua New Guinea Orchids skipper Elsie Albert and the return of inaugural captain Sam Bremner.

Front-rower Hancock and centre Kelly – two of the biggest names in the women's game – join the Red V from the two-time premiership-winning Brisbane Broncos and Sydney Roosters respectively.

Front-rower Albert is the first Papua New Guinean native to sign with an NRL Women's Premiership team in a historic moment for women's rugby league, while fullback Bremner returns to NRLW action following the birth of her son.

The Dragons have named Bremner and the returning Kezie Apps as co-captains for the 2020 campaign, as the club looks to avenge last season's grand final defeat.

"It was an absolute privilege to include Isabelle in our Nines team in February so to see her join the club for the true season is brilliant," Dragons Women's Premiership coach Daniel Lacey said.

"She's still young, but brings plenty of experience. It provides us balance on both sides [of the field] and helps foster further big game experience into our squad.

"Everybody already knows what Steph will bring to the Dragons. I'm looking forward to seeing her influence on the younger squad members as they transition to that semi-professional environment.

"Steph has an aura about her, both as a player and also in demonstrating a winning culture. Let's not forget that she's still playing good football and still has plenty to offer.

"Sammy has unfinished business. She only played our first ever game before she was ruled out with injury. She's worked really hard to get back to this point and I can't wait to see her go around.

Lacey added: "There's no other way to describe Elsie other than an out-and-out trailblazer for women's sport in Papua New Guinea. She has had a lot of obstacles and hurdles thrown her way over the years but now she can safely say she's the first Papua New Guinean native to earn an NRLW contract."

remote.axd

Including Bremner and Kelly, 12 players from the Dragons' victorious Perth Nines tournament have signed up to represent the Red V once again ahead of the third ever Women's Premiership season.

"Covid-19 has put some restrictions on what we had hoped to do but to have 10 girls return from last year's grand final team on top of Sammy and Izzy who were part of our Nines victory is a great accolade for the club," Lacey said.

"The fact the girls all wanted to come back is a great show of loyalty by them. We had a taste of holding up a trophy in Perth earlier this year and we learnt what it takes to win, which can only be a positive for our upcoming campaign."

There's no other way to describe Elsie other than an out-and-out trailblazer for women's sport in Papua New Guinea. She has had a lot of obstacles and hurdles thrown her way over the years but now she can safely say she's the first Papua New Guinean native to earn an NRLW contract.

Daniel Lacey Dragons NRLW coach
In a nod to the importance of the Dragons' well-established women's pathway, 2019 development player Jaime Chapman will step up into the top squad this season.

Chapman joins teammates Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausili and Maddison Weatherall as those to have graduated from the club's women's development player squad.

"Jaime is one to watch. I've had the luxury of coaching 'Chappo' in the Under-18s New South Wales Origin team and I really believe in her capabilities," Lacey said. "I was more than happy to hand over a contract to her once she became of age earlier this year."

Tri-international Mahalia Murphy, local juniors Teagan Berry and Jade Etherden, Fiji international Talei Holmes, Samoa international Christine Pauli, New South Wales Country representative Ellie Johnston and former Super W and rugby sevens star Georgia Page round out the Dragons' squad.

The Dragons have also launched its 2020 NRLW membership campaign ahead of next week's season commencement.

You can show your support for the club's Women's Premiership endeavours by becoming a 2020 Dragons NRLW member.

Each Women's Premiership member will receive an exclusive NRLW member keyring, car sticker and certificate of membership to mark your support. Plus the first 100 members to sign up with receive a complimentary 2020 Red V member scarf!

Become a Dragons Women's Premiership member today. Sign up here.

d_nrlw2020collateral_fbbanner.jpg

2020 St George Illawarra Dragons' NRL Holden Women's Premiership squad:
  • Elsie Albert
  • Kezie Apps
  • Shaylee Bent
  • Teagan Berry
  • Sam Bremner
  • Jaime Chapman
  • Keeley Davis
  • Jade Etherden
  • Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausili
  • Steph Hancock
  • Talei Holmes
  • Rikeya Horne
  • Ellie Johnston
  • Isabelle Kelly
  • Mahalia Murphy
  • Georgia Page
  • Christine Pauli
  • Tiana Penitani
  • Jessica Sergis
  • Maddie Studdon
  • Shakiah Tungai
  • Maddison Weatherall
https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/09/24/dragons-confirm-2020-nrl-womens-premiership-squad/
Steph Hancock is a,good signing.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRLW 2020: Dragons signing Isabelle Kelly set for showdown with Charlotte Caslick
Nick Walshaw, The Daily Telegraph
September 24, 2020 8:07am
Isabelle Kelly may still be rugby league’s greatest female athlete.

Or maybe not.

Who knows?

Perhaps Olympian Charlotte Caslick is set to take the crown.

Regardless, we’re about to find out. A Golden Boot winner who, good judges reckon, would have no problem hanging in NRL training sessions, 23-year-old Kelly is set to shake up the 2020 NRLW season after signing on with St George Illawarra.

similars

After two years with the Roosters, The Daily Telegraph can reveal the superstar centre is headed to the Dragons with Jillaroos prop Steph Hancock – who boasts consecutive premierships with Brisbane – and returning club favourite Sam Bremner, now back after giving birth to her first child.

52a82ed8321626bd5e28f3f7b1e0f096

Isabelle Kelly has signed with the Dragons for the upcoming NRLW season. Picture: James Worsfold/Getty Images
PNG skipper Elsie Albert has also signed on with the Red V for 2020, becoming the country’s first representative in the increasingly popular Australian competition.

Yet the biggest story, undoubtedly, is the impending showdown between Kelly and Caslick, that braided Rugby Sevens star who has now assumed top billing inside Roosters HQ.

The same spot, coincidentally, Kelly previously held. Yet after now switching to the Dragons fulltime, having also played for them at the NRL Nines, the Central Coast product gets to square off against the Olympic gold medallist who will likely wear the Tricolours No.6 jersey.

Asked what she knows about the Sevens Rugby star, Kelly said: “Very talented human. Great athletically. Strong ball skills, too. I haven’t watched too many Sevens games — only a few here and there — but I obviously know Charlotte is an amazing athlete and I can’t wait to see how she transitions.”

Outstanding for two years with the Roosters, Kelly has previously been regarded the best female rugby league player on the planet – having won the 2018 Golden Boot.

At St George Illawarra, she also unites with the incumbent holder of the same award, fellow centre Jessica Sergis. But as for having crossed paths with Caslick, regarded as the best women’s Rugby Sevens player anywhere?

“No, I don’t know her and we’ve never met,” she said.

c1a2248553bb866230ab3226eadfe629

Isabelle Kelly during a NSW Blues training session. Picture: Phil Hillyard
“But a few of the girls I play with on the Central Coast, they’re signed with the Roosters and have said how positive Charlotte has been since joining them.

“How eager she is to learn.”

While the NRLW competition kicks off in just over a week, Kelly must first prepare for the Harvey Norman women’s grand final at Bankwest Stadium on Sunday – where her Coast side faces North Sydney.

“Which in terms of the NRLW, is great for my fitness and being game ready,” she said. “My body feels good and I’m being careful not to overload.”

Elsewhere, the centre also talked up the opportunity to be playing alongside fellow Dragons recruits Hancock and Bremner.

“Steph is a great leader who brings so much experience,” she said.

“I’ve played with her at a World Cup, in Test matches and just her presence and knowledge will be really valuable.

“And Sammy — little fitness freak.

“She’s worked so hard to make sure she could get back onto the field.

“It’s really shown all of us girls that you can go away, have children and still come back to the game that you love.

“Which, personally, isn’t something I’ve thought much about yet.

“But given nobody has really had kids then come back to play in this top class competition before, I think Sam is now laying out the path that you have to take.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...k/news-story/05dd60d4fedb859cc28e44d2f4ca15ce

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons NRLW: Kelly to form dynamic pairing with Sergis
Dragons Den
r1854_0_4796_3315_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

QUITE THE DUO: Isabelle Kelly and Jess Sergis will form a dynamic centre pairing for the Dragons this NRLW season. Picture: NRL Imagery

ST GEORGE Illawarra will unleash plenty of attacking firepower when the NRLW kicks off next weekend, with the club securing the services of star Jillaroos centre Isabelle Kelly for the upcoming season.

It will see her join fellow Test and Origin star Jess Sergis to form the club's most formidable centre pairing since Mark Gasnier and Matt Cooper graced the Dragons edges - a celebrated duo that combined for 22 Tests, 25 Origins, 417 games for the Dragons and the breakthrough 2010 premiership.

Sergis and Kelly are building similarly stellar resume having both been crowned Dally M Player of Year while featuring regularly at Test and Origin level.

Dragons skipper Sam Bremner - who'll be making her own return to the NRLW this season - says it's a far more attractive prospect than turning out against either.

"I always try and think how I would feel if I was playing against the team I was in and I definitely wouldn't enjoy having nowhere to run from those two," Bremner said.

"Having Jess and Izzy, they obviously know how score a try but they take on so much more than that. They're both obviously great at what they do but their workload is phenomenal.

"They're not just girls that are able to score tries, it's more so about the pressure they take off our forwards and get that yardage for us."

With Bremner, Kelly and Sergis will likely form an all-Jillaroos back-line with the likes of Maddie Studdon, Keeley Davis, Tiana Penitani and Shak Tungai who have all returned.

Co-captain Kezie Apps will continue to be the linchpin of what's a very different looking forward pack to last season, notably by the addition of veteran Steph Hancock.

The Queensland great boasts an unmatched winning record at all levels of the game, with Bremner saying the hard-nosed prop will be influential by her mere presence.

"She's just someone who absolutely loves rugby league, she oozes passion and she will do absolutely everything in her power to win," Bremner said.

"She's someone you can always trust to leave absolutely nothing on the field. We're very lucky to have someone like that on board. She fits our culture really well being wiling to sacrifice a lot, coming down from Queensland to play for us leaving her family and job behind

"We've got quite a young team and Steph can lead by example, but she just knows how to win. The young girls will learn so much about how to hold yourself and what to do when games get really tough.

"She's played so many games and she know what it takes to win the big games."

Overall the roster features 12 players from the squad's Nines triumph in February.

Bremner said that success will naturally bring confidence ahead of the new campaign, but it's the groundwork laid off the park that could prove most valuable.

"We were hoping to retain all of the players we had for the Nines, not so much because we won, more so how we gelled off the field," Bremner said.

"We were lucky enough to do that and, especially with a short preparation, it's been really good for us to pick up where we left off there.

"It's important to have a tight relationships happening and it's been really beneficial having established that earlier in the year. It gives us great confidence, more through how we've come together.

"It feels like we've been playing together all year."

While it's unquestionably a premiership-ready roster, there's one other addition is a major feather in the club's cap, with Papua New Guinea Orchids captain Elsie Albert becoming the first player from the world's most league-mad nation to be signed to an NRLW contract.

"She'll probably end up Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea after the NRLW," Bremner said.

"It's awesome, that's what it's all about, it's about giving girls opportunities to play rugby league and it defines more than rugby league careers, it can define your life. I'm looking forward to playing alongside her and I'm sure she'll have huge fanbase back home."

FULL DRAGONS NRLW SQUAD: Elsie Albert, Kezie Apps, Shaylee Bent, Teagan Berry, Sam Bremner, Jaime Chapman, Keeley Davis, Jade Etherden, Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausili, Steph Hancock, Talei Holmes, Rikeya Horne, Ellie Johnston, Isabelle Kelly, Mahalia Murphy, Georgia Page, Christine Pauli, Tiana Penitani, Jessica Sergis, Maddie Studdon, Shakiah Tungai, Maddison Weatherall.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...lw-kelly-to-form-dynamic-pairing-with-sergis/

gitano

Juniors
Poor ol Studdon couldn't kick a cow in the guts. Kelly is decent. Sergis is a touch overrated like someone else we know.

getsmarty

Immortal
nrl_nines_day2_150220_380.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Sergis joins forces with stars to launch Women in Sport initiative
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Fri 25 Sep 2020, 11:02 AM

St George Illawarra star centre Jessica Sergis hopes the days where girls have to stop playing sport because of their gender and age have come to an end.

Sergis has joined forces with Matildas defender Alanna Kennedy, Australian cricketer Tayla Vlaeminck and Richmond AFLW player Akec Makur Chuot to help launch Cadbury's National Women in Sport initiative.

The ambassadors are set to meet with young girls from local Australian communities and sporting clubs to share their personal stories around their rise to the top in their respective sports.

The initiative is intended to inspire and enable young girls to continue to participate in sports, encouraging them to break through the barriers young women may face in male-originated sports through open conversations with their heroes.

Statistically, one in two young girls drop out from organised sport from the age of 15.

"Growing up, it was always the boys who played rugby league – not girls," Sergis said.

"When I was 12 years old I stopped playing rugby league, simply because of the restrictions placed on girls playing against boys.

"In the last few years, the game has grown so much, and we've worked so hard to ensure that our women's game gets the same recognition as the men.

"I'm so honoured to be a part of this incredible campaign, helping to inspire younger girls to play sport."

remote.axd

The Incomparables

The Incomparables

Sergis returned to competitive rugby league at 19 through the Cronulla Sharks system, before making her debut for NSW the following season.

The 23-year-old has since skyrocketed through the ranks to become one of the most recognised faces in the game.

In 2019, Sergis claimed the 2019 Dally M medal for best women's player in the NRLW, while the Dragons centre was also crowned the international golden boot winner.

Sergis has re-signed with the Dragons for the upcoming NRLW competition starting on October 3.

Throughout the partnership, Cadbury and the sporting codes will unite to put women's sport at the forefront, encouraging Australians to engage and connect with women’s sport.

Whether it's watching, playing or supporting behind the scenes, the initiative will celebrate and cheer on Australian women in sport.

"We're thrilled to launch our Women in Sport initiative this year," Mondelez Australia senior marketing manager Kathy De Lullo said.

"As a brand, we want to show our commitment to the Australian community, and we feel incredibly passionate about encouraging and supporting the continued growth and equality of women’s sport in our country.

"With women’s sport kicking off in September, it couldn't come at a better time, especially given the broader challenges of 2020 for all sporting communities."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/25...th-stars-to-launch-women-in-sport-initiative/

getsmarty

Immortal
nrl_nines_day2_150220_380.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Sergis joins forces with stars to launch Women in Sport initiative
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Fri 25 Sep 2020, 11:02 AM

St George Illawarra star centre Jessica Sergis hopes the days where girls have to stop playing sport because of their gender and age have come to an end.

Sergis has joined forces with Matildas defender Alanna Kennedy, Australian cricketer Tayla Vlaeminck and Richmond AFLW player Akec Makur Chuot to help launch Cadbury's National Women in Sport initiative.

The ambassadors are set to meet with young girls from local Australian communities and sporting clubs to share their personal stories around their rise to the top in their respective sports.

The initiative is intended to inspire and enable young girls to continue to participate in sports, encouraging them to break through the barriers young women may face in male-originated sports through open conversations with their heroes.

Statistically, one in two young girls drop out from organised sport from the age of 15.

"Growing up, it was always the boys who played rugby league – not girls," Sergis said.

"When I was 12 years old I stopped playing rugby league, simply because of the restrictions placed on girls playing against boys.

"In the last few years, the game has grown so much, and we've worked so hard to ensure that our women's game gets the same recognition as the men.

"I'm so honoured to be a part of this incredible campaign, helping to inspire younger girls to play sport."

Sergis returned to competitive rugby league at 19 through the Cronulla Sharks system, before making her debut for NSW the following season.

The 23-year-old has since skyrocketed through the ranks to become one of the most recognised faces in the game.

In 2019, Sergis claimed the 2019 Dally M medal for best women's player in the NRLW, while the Dragons centre was also crowned the international golden boot winner.

Sergis has re-signed with the Dragons for the upcoming NRLW competition starting on October 3.

Throughout the partnership, Cadbury and the sporting codes will unite to put women's sport at the forefront, encouraging Australians to engage and connect with women’s sport.

Whether it's watching, playing or supporting behind the scenes, the initiative will celebrate and cheer on Australian women in sport.

"We're thrilled to launch our Women in Sport initiative this year," Mondelez Australia senior marketing manager Kathy De Lullo said.

"As a brand, we want to show our commitment to the Australian community, and we feel incredibly passionate about encouraging and supporting the continued growth and equality of women’s sport in our country.

"With women’s sport kicking off in September, it couldn't come at a better time, especially given the broader challenges of 2020 for all sporting communities."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...th-stars-to-launch-women-in-sport-initiative/

Latest posts