What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - In these weird times

TheDMC

Bench
Are you going back to Manilla when this is all over DMC?

Yes mate, as soon as safe there, and travel is possible, will head back. Work...

But quietly hoping that COVID becomes a game changer in boosting forward remote working for organisations, especially "old skool" ones like mine. Life would be much more awesome if I could work remotely from a NZ beach close to fantastic fishing spots (thinking Whangarei Heads here!) for a couple of months a year.

Hope you are doing good Rich. Some sneaky under the radar, at night, boat trips out to the harbour?

Cheers
Duncan

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Speaking of which, this morning my missus and I moved into a standalone beach house 1km down the road in Ohope from where we were staying at our friend's downstairs unit on arrival back in NZ last week.

Nek minute (well, within 1hr of arriving at the new pad) the fuzz turned up asking questions. One of the neighbours had got on the blower to them instantly haha.

No dramas, but definitely in the next month need to think up some revenge on the nosy neighbour.

Day 8 of self quarantine...

Considering the level of pisstaking that goes on at the beach I don't blame the neighbours, no harm done anyway, you had a valid explanation. Ohope ain't a bad spot to be locked down, I gotta say. Spent many a pleasant summer day there as a kid, its one of my local beaches.

TheDMC

Bench
Considering the level of pisstaking that goes on at the beach I don't blame the neighbours, no harm done anyway, you had a valid explanation. Ohope ain't a bad spot to be locked down, I gotta say. Spent many a pleasant summer day there as a kid, its one of my local beaches.

Yeah I wasn't too fazed but would have preferred the neighbors had a chat to us over the fence first. We hardly look like meth producers or holiday makers (or maybe I do sans shaving a week...)

Ohope is perfect, quiet, but peps are still going for a walk, jog on the beach, putting the long line out, few paddle boarders and a couple of surfers. But all local peps no influx of "outsiders" so social distancing is happening effectively as such a small population and massively long beach. I hear not so good at places like the Mount, where people are being silly.

Where do you live Space?

What really concerns me is our record of intercepting cases at our border.
It appears a carrier can host the virus for 7 days before showing signs of illness or fever.
The one fatality we have reported to hospital where she was treated for flu prior to dying.
If she wasn't correctly diagnosed at a hospital what chance of being identified at an entry point?

Philip, your point about borders being shut till vaccines are here is concerning in light of the likelihood that won't happen for 18-24 months.

I think this lockdown is going to take far longer than a month.

Hope Lion is safe and well.

I suspect there might be an option of some form of immunity certificate proving you are immune, it would have to be linked to your passport as could be easily forged so you can prove you won't spread it. But vaccine most likely time boarders open to those vaccinated. Possibly like a yellow fever certificate (needed to enter certain countries in Africa).

Winter is the real test for the southern hemisphere.

Get your flu vaccine (had mine yesterday) it takes around 2 weeks to kick in. (Immune system responses and memory storage)
Not sure if NZ has the boosted version for over 65yrs? Only from your Dr in Aussie, pharmacist have the standard quadrivalent vaccine.

Some interesting new powers for Aussie pharmacist.
Can provide ongoing medication (with proof) without a prescription if you can't see a doctor.
Can change drug strength if out of stock without having to call the prescriber.

Complete lockdown is pointless with asymptomatic patients walking around in essential jobs. Unless the curve is out of control. Any measures take 2 weeks to show results.

JJ

Immortal
Those sound like very sensible decisions from Aust Govt re pharmacists... meanwhile our Minister of Health is driving to a Mountain Bike track and going for a ride FFS what an entitled arsehole

Matua

Bench
Those sound like very sensible decisions from Aust Govt re pharmacists... meanwhile our Minister of Health is driving to a Mountain Bike track and going for a ride FFS what an entitled arsehole
Balanced out by the fact that no one in Oz had a clue of what we should actually be doing because no specific directives have been given.

Everyone in NZ knows what Clark did was wrong, in Oz no one would no from the PM, to the health minister down to the backpackers getting stoned in Darling Harbour.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah I wasn't too fazed but would have preferred the neighbors had a chat to us over the fence first. We hardly look like meth producers or holiday makers (or maybe I do sans shaving a week...)

Ohope is perfect, quiet, but peps are still going for a walk, jog on the beach, putting the long line out, few paddle boarders and a couple of surfers. But all local peps no influx of "outsiders" so social distancing is happening effectively as such a small population and massively long beach. I hear not so good at places like the Mount, where people are being silly.

Where do you live Space?

I grew up in Kawerau but live in Sydney these days. Ohope was the closest safe swimming beach for us as alll the beaches from Pukehina to Whakatane are steep faced with waves that tend to dump hard and suck back out. Definitely right about Ohope’s size, the only spot that ever really gets crowded is West End, even around the area at the bottom of the hill where the road comes in from Whakatane there’s usually plenty of space even mid-summer. Head down toward the spit and there’s all the social distance you need. Always loved the walk from west end over the hill to Otawaiwere too, or along the rocks if you don’t mind getting wet. Used to be a good bed of fat mussels on the point as well with a few kina too if you were prepared to dive a bit.

JJ

Immortal
Balanced out by the fact that no one in Oz had a clue of what we should actually be doing because no specific directives have been given.

Everyone in NZ knows what Clark did was wrong, in Oz no one would no from the PM, to the health minister down to the backpackers getting stoned in Darling Harbour.
lol yeah... don’t know much about Aussie atm but the pharmacist decision seems very good

But the Minister of Health, you couldn’t make that shit up...

TheDMC

Bench
I grew up in Kawerau but live in Sydney these days. Ohope was the closest safe swimming beach for us as alll the beaches from Pukehina to Whakatane are steep faced with waves that tend to dump hard and suck back out. Definitely right about Ohope’s size, the only spot that ever really gets crowded is West End, even around the area at the bottom of the hill where the road comes in from Whakatane there’s usually plenty of space even mid-summer. Head down toward the spit and there’s all the social distance you need. Always loved the walk from west end over the hill to Otawaiwere too, or along the rocks if you don’t mind getting wet. Used to be a good bed of fat mussels on the point as well with a few kina too if you were prepared to dive a bit.

there are some mussel rocks at the cliff end of the beach, fattening up but not quite ripe. Tuatuas are now big and juicy, will be gathering some tomorrow for feeds. Need to work out a stealth rock fish off the point back from Otawaiwere...first must convince missus it is necessary for our food supply, second must avoid the fuzz and dob-you-in locals.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
there are some mussel rocks at the cliff end of the beach, fattening up but not quite ripe. Tuatuas are now big and juicy, will be gathering some tomorrow for feeds. Need to work out a stealth rock fish off the point back from Otawaiwere...first must convince missus it is necessary for our food supply, second must avoid the fuzz and dob-you-in locals.

the mussel rock I used to hit was off the tip of the point between west end and Otawaiwere, you could stand about chest deep on it at low tide so easy to duck dive and fill fill your bag. They were fat too, bigger than shop mussels. Was a big bed as well, I took a few full bags off it and barely made a dent.

if you want to do a sneaky fish at ota I’d be driving to the otawaiwere side and walking down from there, too many eyes on the west end approach.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Yeah, exactly. Clark is a complete muppet, I don't know how you can have the lack of intelligence required to drive to a public place you clearly shouldn't be with your face on the van...but let's not compare this isolated case to the ambiguous leadership free zone that Australia is.

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, exactly. Clark is a complete muppet, I don't know how you can have the lack of intelligence required to drive to a public place you clearly shouldn't be with your face on the van...but let's not compare this isolated case to the ambiguous leadership free zone that Australia is.
Yep... just flat out bs here, out if their depth and full of shit

Talk to anyone in the front line about testing and protective services equipment, just a disgrace the bs that is being portrayed as fact

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yep... just flat out bs here, out if their depth and full of shit

Talk to anyone in the front line about testing and protective services equipment, just a disgrace the bs that is being portrayed as fact

who are we talking about now, I get confused with members on both sides of the ditch

Matua

Bench
both! (but I was a but grumpy about everything yesterday, so that was specifically NZ)

hindsight will be great here

this is very good

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...ant-but-it-cannot-be-the-governments-only-aim
I have an issue with this comment though:

But some retail is still open, schools are still open, as is childcare – which has now been made free! (although people are advised to keep their children at home if possible). You can still go to the shops, hardware store, buy clothes and generally go about your business.
The Federal govt are telling people not to do all this and some states are outright banning most of this and the ones that aren't are still passing legislation to crack down on this stuff.

It seems like the Oz govt are too scared to go into lockdown due to political (and economic but that swings back to political) reasons despite believing it's what should be happening which is why they're "strongly advising" people to follow these rules (while their media arm Sky News are taking pot shots at state govts who are basically following the Federal govt but taking it the step they're too cowardly to take).

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
I have an issue with this comment though:

The Federal govt are telling people not to do all this and some states are outright banning most of this and the ones that aren't are still passing legislation to crack down on this stuff.

It seems like the Oz govt are too scared to go into lockdown due to political (and economic but that swings back to political) reasons despite believing it's what should be happening which is why they're "strongly advising" people to follow these rules (while their media arm Sky News are taking pot shots at state govts who are basically following the Federal govt but taking it the step they're too cowardly to take).
Yep - I thought the article was interesting...

No right or wrong here, sadly