What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Okay guys, a bit of fun and something to look forward to.

Let's assume 2020 resolves itself and 2021 goes on as normal.

We still have a decent wack of money, as we tried to pay 800k for Tino and Lodge last year.

Assuming Blair finishes up, Green moves on, and Beale and Papalli doesn't get resigned, we'd be looking at 2.5 - 2.7mil we have to spend from next year onwards? Who're you buying and why?

https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/off-contract-2020/

Edit: forgot we signed BMM for nek year, so take some of that money out. What would we be paying him to come over? $500k?

Last edited:

SmashEmBro

Juniors
For me, I think we need a half back, we're still one prop short, a ball playing back rower, and if possible, upgrade one of out centres.

Targets: Ese Ese or Christian Welch, John Asiata.

I struggle to see any good buys in centre or half for next year, so maybe we make the best of what we have, front load a few contracts so that in 2022 and 2023 we have a bit more money available when the better buys come up.

Welch
Egan
BMM
Asiata
Harris
Katoa

Roache
Ah Mau
Paasi
Katoa

Extras:
Curran
Tevaga
Burr

Edit: accidently left out Bunty. Jeeze, maybe we don't need another prop after all

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It has to all start at the top, a proven head coach.

indeed. Thankfully not part of the salary cap though.
Player wise, a halfback and a star forward. Prop or second rower, as long as they’re reliable for well over 100m a game. We have workhorses but we need a leader/enforcer.

BLN2

Juniors
I'm hoping JTB and Katoa continue where they left off for this season. That'd sort a couple issues, and would save a lot of cap for next season, being an attacking second rower and a solid bench prop. BMM, LAM, JTB, Bunty and Paasi isn't too bad for a prop rotation.

I think if we could replace Green, using his and Blairs money, to get in a top controlling No 7, that would solve a lot of our problems. Are there any available? Na.

Hov

Juniors
I can't get the above link to work so I am not sure who is available.

But I would throw the cheque book at Kotoni Staggs and Jahrome Hughes.

Those two players would absolutely change the way we play and bring out the best in what we have.

Probably the furthest thing away from what is actually possible but hey dreams are free

jaseg

Juniors
Blair has a nice fat option in his favour. I wouldn't assume he'll be anywhere other than at the Warriors in 2021 :(

Leber

Bench
We need forwards.

Jayden su'a and christian welch will be available. I'd target them.

But we suck, No decent players will want to come to us.

Penrose_11

Juniors
After watching a few of these NRL reruns over this last week or so, one thing that’s stood out is the good teams had dominant 7’s. They got their hands on the ball at least 4-5 times at set and they were explosively quick. Stacey was exceptional when at his best. Long story short. Blake Greens gotta go. Prior to us at Manly and Melbourne he played as a 6 behind 2 ball players in DCE and Cronk. Kodi is the Kiwi #7 incumbent and I’d go with him in the short term then look to build the team around a dominant 1/2. Not a 20 yr old Channel but someone whose spent a few years in the Aussie system. Look whose playing 2nd/3rd string at the other 15 clubs and there’s going to be 1-2 who stand out and want an NRL gig.

And ball playing back rowers!!!!

Penrose_11

Juniors
Drew Hutchinson 24yrs 1/2 back. Currently at Roosters. Ex Jnr Kangaroos 1/2 but ACL in 2016/17. Went to UK and back this year as a Keary backup. Off contract.

Adam Clune 24yrs 1/2 back. Dragons playing behind Ben Hunt. Off contract

Jake Clifford 22yrs 1/2 back. Cowboys playing behind Michael Morgan. Contracted to 2021

Tom Dearden 20yrs 1/2 back. Broncos behind Brodie Croft. Think Warriors went hard at him last season but turned offer down. Contracted to 2021

BLN2

Juniors
Cade Cust is the only fringe half off contract I'd be looking at. He looked very good last year filling in, and stuck firmly behind DCE.

I really hope Katoa builds on what we saw the first couple rounds. Was our most threatening player (embarrassing for the other guys), big mobile edge forward. Him and Harris could be a very good second row. BMM adding to our propping stocks, with Bunty, Paasi, LAM + JTB, Frei and Burr to back up seems like an OK propping line up.

The big piece of the puzzle is our shithouse spine. With Green seemingly our number 1 half this season, our 6 and 9 need to step it up and provide alot of X factor and kicking game. Green is basically our Back version of Blair. Hopefully the young guys step it up, otherwise we'll need a half to come in next season.

It seems more and more likely Nikorima was a dud signing, although I would like to see him have a crack in the 9 jersey, or play with CHT in the halves this season.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Nikorima is a hard one. I'm not sure he's a dud, but we bought him specifically to be a half then decided not to use him there. Poor decision to buy him imo, it was like we were on the rebound and wanted the next best thing to SJ.

With Green going next year, are we going to go CHT and Nikorima in the halves? I'm hoping one of them develops into a dominant half as they both seem to be the off the cuff, back up option...

With BMM next year, we should have a forward pack who can match it with others, so imo we have no excuse.

A young 9 trying to prove himself, an experienced international half and a good young talent in CHT and the best full back in the game for the spine. Add to that 2 of the Daly M wingers in the last 2 years, and Hiku, who is able to create.

Honestly, that's a decent team on paper. Probably not going to win the comp but imo should be pushing 8th-6th on the ladder

LeagueNut

First Grade
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wa...-lure-rudolf-from-sharks-20200508-p54r2b.html

Cronulla are in danger of losing one of their most promising forwards after the Warriors made a lucrative offer to prop Toby Rudolf.

Rudolf, 24, made his NRL debut for the Sharks in the opening round of the season against South Sydney. He did enough to retain his spot on the interchange bench the following week against Melbourne.

Rudolf repaid the faith of Cronulla coach John Morris by holding his own against two of the most formidable forward packs in the NRL. His performances also piqued the interest of rival clubs.

The Warriors have been in negotiations with the off-contract forward about a three-year deal that presents a significant upgrade to his earnings. While the Sharks are keen to retain him, sources have told the Herald he is leaning towards taking the Warriors' offer.

Rudolf is in a position to settle his future after the NRL announced player contracts would be registered from this week, lifting a temporary pause due to the coronavirus outbreak. All new contracts will need to include a clause that allows for a reduction in contract value should the NRL and the Rugby League Players Association agree to a salary cap decrease next year.

Rudolf’s rise to the NRL is a reward for his persistence. The South Sydney junior failed to make an impression at Redfern and shifted to Redcliffe in a bid to revive his career. He juggled three jobs while playing football, becoming one of the Queensland Cup’s most consistent forwards.

The day after the Sharks signed him for the 2019 season, he tore his ACL in Redcliffe’s loss to Canterbury in the state championship grand final. Rudolf bounced back to make his first-grade debut in round one this year against his housemate, Rabbitohs forward Liam Knight.

BLN2

Juniors
Big mobile prop, looked the goods on debut and round 2. I'm sure we'd be offering good coin (Shark forum mentioned $1 million over 3 years, probably about right), bit of a risk (probably more around injury than anything else) but could bring great reward. Considering we would have to pay any 2-3 year NRL prop that money to come over, I'm comfortable with that.

That would give us the cattle to sort the forward pack out, when you add Katoa and JTB. No more excuses from the coaching staff. Big question marks over the spine though, through their own doing.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Big mobile prop, looked the goods on debut and round 2. I'm sure we'd be offering good coin (Shark forum mentioned $1 million over 3 years, probably about right), bit of a risk (probably more around injury than anything else) but could bring great reward. Considering we would have to pay any 2-3 year NRL prop that money to come over, I'm comfortable with that.

That would give us the cattle to sort the forward pack out, when you add Katoa and JTB. No more excuses from the coaching staff. Big question marks over the spine though, through their own doing.

$333k a year is nothing nowadays really, is it, with the increase in the salary cap?

The spine could be decent. Egan is a good player, RTS is RTS, CHT can flat out play then if Kodi takes a bit more leadership and direction on his shoulders, we're not that badly placed. Green is nearing the end, I'll definitely grant that.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
anyone remember the Tino signing. We thought we had him over the line until we didnt.

getting those vibes with Toby

Latest posts