What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We may have a Problem...

jak

Bench
I have exhausted my supply of superlatives to describe the coaching situation over the last 7 odd years .

My biggest concern about our maestro and his minders in the boardroom is that they have proved themselves to be resilient to every type of criticism and yet still they continue on .

It may take a act of God to remove them , so as the fans of the club may finally have some peace of mind .
I have exhausted my supply of superlatives,i very much doubt it sir.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
He isn’t saving his job. They just don’t want to pay him out. He’s gone no matter what he does. They need to be ruthless, there aren’t many good coaches out there. I’d probably go straight to Souths and try to poach Demetriou. Ask him how long he wants to wait for Wayne. If they want to swap straight away take Wayne.

blacksafake

First Grade
2020 is a write off. Probably a good thing for the club.
Now they only have 1 more year of Mary before they can move Flanno into the head role and don't have to put in a caretaker coach for 2021. Its worked out well.
Us fans are also spared a year of heartache, we were heading towards a start of 1 win from first 10 if the season had of gone on.
And one more year is still way too long. But at least it’s a light at the end of the tunnel, Unless that’s a train.:flushed:

blacksafake

First Grade
He isn’t saving his job. They just don’t want to pay him out. He’s gone no matter what he does. They need to be ruthless, there aren’t many good coaches out there. I’d probably go straight to Souths and try to poach Demetriou. Ask him how long he wants to wait for Wayne. If they want to swap straight away take Wayne.
Why can’t all us “expert forum coaches” on here do a roster system until Flanno is allowed.:rolling_eyes:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Why can’t all us “expert forum coaches” on here do a roster system until Flanno is allowed.:rolling_eyes:
My team would be different and reflective of where we actually are as a club, rebuilding. We missed a premiership window with Widdop, Dugan, Friz, Hunt and co. We have now lost some or their best days have passed them by. We won’t win a premiership until we have new halves and a fullback. By which stage Vaughan and Sims will be past it. Need to start blooding Ivan and co. Even if they don’t kill it, just a games off the bench to get a taste.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Good news.
I think we just dodged a bullet.
Just reading where Raelene Castle looks like getting the spear from Rugby Aust.
Luck for us our new CEO is appointed and our magnificent board /management wont be able to make here the new Dragons CEO !! .... Phew.

Castle to the Saints?
Tell em their dreamin!
( thank fu@k )

Richard Norton

Juniors
JD recently signed on to take over from Bennett.
We could get Bennett...
The question is how much $$$ do we have.
Sure some on here say we are broke, but we seem to be holding out ok so far.
The other question is, as has become apparent, some fans like Flanno, some fans want nothing to do with him.
Even, Bennett, some would love him back, some are against it.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
JD recently signed on to take over from Bennett.
We could get Bennett...
The question is how much $$$ do we have.
Sure some on here say we are broke, but we seem to be holding out ok so far.
The other question is, as has become apparent, some fans like Flanno, some fans want nothing to do with him.
Even, Bennett, some would love him back, some are against it.
Some Wayne would not be first choice but none would rather Mary than him.

Richard Norton

Juniors
Some Wayne would not be first choice but none would rather Mary than him.
No doubt... but there will still be negativity as to "why wayne"???
Its a tough one. And i understand. I dont want a one year fix or 2 year fix. Id love a proven successful coach that we can sign for 2 years, he will prove his worth, and we keep him longer.
Wayne will retire soon.
I still like Toovey, he has passion, can get results, isnt afraid to drop players, isnt afraid to promote youngsters, he has years ahead of him, and he can coach.
But, like you say, at the moment, ANYONE would be better then Mary!

BLM01

First Grade
Its a tough one. And i understand. I dont want a one year fix or 2 year fix. Id love a proven successful coach that we can sign for 2 years, he will prove his worth, and we keep him longer.
Wayne will retire soon.
I still like Toovey, he has passion, can get results, isnt afraid to drop players, isnt afraid to promote youngsters, he has years ahead of him, and he can coach.
Except Steve Price, Mat Head.Ian Millward or Dean Young...Mary in front or on level ground with those 4

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Yes, anyone would be better than Mc85, however, there are many aspects we need to consider when appointing our next 'head coach'.
Experienced - yes
Uncompromising - yes
Players selected on form - yes
Nurture and promote juniors - yes
Adaptive game plans - yes
These are just a few, and there's probably at least half a dozen more.

As much as i love Bennett, unfortunately, he's not the answer. He's only a short term fix imo.
Flanno, well atm he's unavailable until 2022. The only solution here is appoint Shepherd as a puppet coach with Flanno really controlling things. In a way, we'dcget an experienced coach 'coaching' cheaply for 1yr, then give him a 2yr deal after that (effectively 3yrs as head coach).
I still like Shaun Wane as a coach, his appointment to England coach would give him enough exposure to see if he can cut it or not.
Tooves has been out for too long.
Other 'coaches' who currently dont have a head coaching position, are probably there because they struggle with the responsibilities, just like Mc85

Gareth67

First Grade
If only the 4k* referees had noticed two incorrect play-the-balls from George Burgess prior to Adam Reynolds kicking those costly field goals!

*maybe a slight exaggeration.

I concur Saint_JimmyG , I was under the impression that it was for oranges at half time and a few free beers with the winning coach .

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes, anyone would be better than Mc85, however, there are many aspects we need to consider when appointing our next 'head coach'.
Experienced - yes
Uncompromising - yes
Players selected on form - yes
Nurture and promote juniors - yes
Adaptive game plans - yes
These are just a few, and there's probably at least half a dozen more.

As much as i love Bennett, unfortunately, he's not the answer. He's only a short term fix imo.
Flanno, well atm he's unavailable until 2022. The only solution here is appoint Shepherd as a puppet coach with Flanno really controlling things. In a way, we'dcget an experienced coach 'coaching' cheaply for 1yr, then give him a 2yr deal after that (effectively 3yrs as head coach).
I still like Shaun Wane as a coach, his appointment to England coach would give him enough exposure to see if he can cut it or not.
Tooves has been out for too long.
Other 'coaches' who currently dont have a head coaching position, are probably there because they struggle with the responsibilities, just like Mc85

I always thought that Bennett was the best coach in the NRL and for many years he was just that . However Bellamy now has that prestigious honour , closely followed by Robbinson and Flanagan - each more than capable of taking a team to premiership glory.

As much as I like Wayne Bennett's uncompromising attitude and ability to get the very best from his players he is now on the wane - his better days are certainly behind him , unfortunately.

In any case the Dragon hierarchy will not give Bennett the same freedom to operate as he would like , If there is one thing that the J.V. board has proven over the the last 7 years it is that they are totally inflexible when it comes to allowing any decisions to be taken out of their hands .

As you have said Dragonslayer - stick with Flanagan as I believe that he will only get better as the years go by .

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Wayne will retire soon.
Personally I’d have liked that Shaun Wane chap that was floated around in here. Someone from completely outside the whole NRL. He has a breadth of experience in SL and Union. I’d love him to look at our players like Lomax etc and see where he thinks they should play. Not drop him after a Benji Masterclass in torrential rain. Would be so nice to have a fresh set of eyes on our squad. Reputations and favourites would go out the window.

Gareth67

First Grade
I have exhausted my supply of superlatives,i very much doubt it sir.

" Sir " ?

Ah jak , so you were also a graduate of the prestigious ' Bernard King School for the Sophisticated and Refined Young Gentleman ' ?

I believe that Old Kogarah Boy also attended the same academy , but regrettably without the same distinctions as I myself had achieved .

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
Personally I’d have liked that Shaun Wane chap that was floated around in here. Someone from completely outside the whole NRL. He has a breadth of experience in SL and Union. I’d love him to look at our players like Lomax etc and see where he thinks they should play. Not drop him after a Benji Masterclass in torrential rain. Would be so nice to have a fresh set of eyes on our squad. Reputations and favourites would go out the window.
I agree here mate , Bennett would be better than bugalugs , but I'm over Bennett also ...... As you say someone from outside the club would be like fresh air ........ IMO I think that G.Young needs to get out of the joint , he seems like, he has a lot of influence at what happens at coaching level ..... That's. Just my take on it......

Latest posts