What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 Grand Finals

1990 between the same sides was a gripping match too. Canberra had the famous backline, but the Panthers were a tough unit and Greg Alexander was at his absolute peak and seriously dangerous in the dying minutes. Canberra always looked likely, but in the end they were saved by the clock (which stopped with 5 minutes left so Penrith didn't know how much time was left after scoring late). I've always thought we should have declined the kick for goal being 4 behind and needing to score again. In the end it was decided on goalkicking.

It was many years before I could watch this game. The following year helped.

Was the first Grand Final I saw live. I actually went to all the finals at the SFS that year on some package my neighbours had (sharks fans) and took me along.

Awesome to be there and yes a tight contest. My memory is that when Joe Vitanza (Now there’s a blast from the past) lost the ball late in the 2nd half the Raiders finally had it sewn up.

The unknown

Juniors
of the modern era:

In terms of toughness and edge of your seat, 2016 was pretty class. See sawing game and both sides were pretty neck and neck right up until the final whistle. IIRC Storm almost clinched it on the bell

Biggest mismatch? Storm v Cowboys 2017. Still no idea how Cowboys limped in to the final, but there was only ever gonna be 1 winner

2013 was a GF that just lived up to the hype which never really happens. 2 of the best sides all year going at it

Last years game was pretty damn good aswell. After the Roosters 1st try I thought here we go another boil over but Canberra got unlucky in the end, similar to 2016 for me.

2005 of course will always be my favourite for obvious reasons, the tries that tigers team could score, it wouldn’t matter if they let in 20 points they’d still find a way to win

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
of the modern era:

In terms of toughness and edge of your seat, 2016 was pretty class. See sawing game and both sides were pretty neck and neck right up until the final whistle. IIRC Storm almost clinched it on the bell

Biggest mismatch? Storm v Cowboys 2017. Still no idea how Cowboys limped in to the final, but there was only ever gonna be 1 winner

2013 was a GF that just lived up to the hype which never really happens. 2 of the best sides all year going at it

Last years game was pretty damn good aswell. After the Roosters 1st try I thought here we go another boil over but Canberra got unlucky in the end, similar to 2016 for me.

2005 of course will always be my favourite for obvious reasons, the tries that tigers team could score, it wouldn’t matter if they let in 20 points they’d still find a way to win

Great summation, and yes how could i forget about the 2005, a classic ,Scott Prince and Benji that year, its funny i remember making cocktails before the game, sparkling wine, vodka and pineapple juice, Mrs Horrie said these are strong and if i have another i may be asleep in no time, funny we knocked a back a couple more and totally enjoyed the game.

Generalzod

Immortal
Here are mine
Number 1 cause I’m biased Cronulla vs Storm Fafita try absolutely awesome I was there I went nuts, all these years envious of other fans teams in the Grand Final, I got experience on that day.
2. Tigers and Canberra awesome game
3.Souths and Canterbury witnessing the Rabbits win after so many years it was pretty special.
4.Penrith and Canberra The Riff winning their first Grand final was also a great game.
5.Broncos and Cowboys last ten minutes was great, again the Ciwboys winning their first Grand final.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
Was the first Grand Final I saw live. I actually went to all the finals at the SFS that year on some package my neighbours had (sharks fans) and took me along.

Awesome to be there and yes a tight contest. My memory is that when Joe Vitanza (Now there’s a blast from the past) lost the ball late in the 2nd half the Raiders finally had it sewn up.
Alexander scored after that to bring it to 4 points but they only got about half a minute after the kick off.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

cant go past 2008 for that, and you can extend it to the entire finals series, Manly lapped everyone on the way to their title that year, I’ve never seen a team time their run so perfectly (though Easts in 2002 were up there, and Penrith the following year)

40-0 in the GF and 38-6 and 32-6 in the QF and PF.

Dodgy

Juniors
I personally wouldn't say 08 was a mismatch. But with the accumulation of motivation, experience, and Melbourne being blunted a bit. It was going to be too much even for Melbourne to turn the tide once Manly got a roll on. Had they played on another day/week, Manly probably still would've won, but with that dominance.

2017 unfortunately seemed like a Melbourne Storm coronation prior to the game starting.

Vic Mackey

Referee
cant go past 2008 for that, and you can extend it to the entire finals series, Manly lapped everyone on the way to their title that year, I’ve never seen a team time their run so perfectly (though Easts in 2002 were up there, and Penrith the following year)

2008 was a weird season. Storm and Eagles were miles ahead of everyone else. They finished with F/A of +302 & +290 with the next best being +113

Manlys run to the GF was against 7th and 8th, so was hardly surprising they lapped those teams, then got a Storm side without Smith who had somehow beaten the 3rd placed Sharks 28-0 the week before, despite playing fairly terrible themselves.

The unknown

Juniors

I was gonna say the 08 one but that year Melbourne and Manly were the dominant teams all year by some margin. Sure melbourne had no Smitty but nobody really predicted a 40-0 outcome in the big one

Cowboys in 17 run to the GF was a lot of luck involved. If they somehow beat the storm in the GF it would’ve been just about the biggest underdog story in sport history

Reflector

Juniors
I personally wouldn't say 08 was a mismatch. But with the accumulation of motivation, experience, and Melbourne being blunted a bit. It was going to be too much even for Melbourne to turn the tide once Manly got a roll on. Had they played on another day/week, Manly probably still would've won, but with that dominance.

2017 unfortunately seemed like a Melbourne Storm coronation prior to the game starting.

I only really watched the 2017 game up until about the 70th minute then wandered out to the beer garden, and I can't say I'll be bothered watching a replay. Felt like the Storm got kissed on the dick the entire finals series with the sides who would've been their biggest challengers getting knocked out by the Cowboys, who did just enough to make the GF and then put their cue in the rack. It was a fitting end to what was probably the most forgettable season of the NRL era.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Melbourne were well off in that finals series, they peaked too early and limped into the GF. Got beaten at home by the Warriors in the 1st vs 8th then only squeaked past Brisbane with a lucky call. a bit like the Warriors in 2002, we were on a massive roll mid season and got the minor premiership after the dogs got disqualified, but Easts got an unstoppable late season roll, they put 40 on us in a late season match then were always gonna have the wood on us in the final.

Valheru

Coach

You would be hard pressed to argue against manly 08 being the best overall finals performance in the NRL era but wests 05 give them a run for their money. Their results were 50-6, 34-6, 20-12 and 30-16.

So manly averaged 36-4 and wests 34-10 but there is a strong argument wests had the harder opposition.

Notably, they are also one of two teams (the other roosters 02) to win 4 finals games in a season.

IMO when talking overall finals performances you also have to split it in two, pre 2012 and 2012 onwards because the current system makes it harder for the top teams to be so dominant.

King hit

Coach
I only really watched the 2017 game up until about the 70th minute then wandered out to the beer garden, and I can't say I'll be bothered watching a replay. Felt like the Storm got kissed on the dick the entire finals series with the sides who would've been their biggest challengers getting knocked out by the Cowboys, who did just enough to make the GF and then put their cue in the rack. It was a fitting end to what was probably the most forgettable season of the NRL era.
I remember talking to a Storm supporter that day and telling him that if Storm don’t win by at least 20 points I will be shocked. It was by far the most predictable unmemorable grand final I’ve seen.

Dodgy

Juniors
North Queensland Cowboys - Responsible for one of the most unforgettable, and forgettable, GFs in RL history,

Reflector

Juniors
Melbourne were well off in that finals series, they peaked too early and limped into the GF. Got beaten at home by the Warriors in the 1st vs 8th then only squeaked past Brisbane with a lucky call. a bit like the Warriors in 2002, we were on a massive roll mid season and got the minor premiership after the dogs got disqualified, but Easts got an unstoppable late season roll, they put 40 on us in a late season match then were always gonna have the wood on us in the final.

Would've been interesting to see how that finals series went if Joey didn't do his back in the Dragons semi...

TheDalek079

Bench
1 2019 - Roosters overcome adversity and an inspired raiders team to become the first back to back premiers of the NRL era. Wonderful defense, superb captaincy by Boydy, sensational JWH

2 2013 - wow. What a game!!! Epic encounter. SBW showing why he was the best player on the planet. Jenko and Maloney awesome!!

3 1975 - 38-0. Enough said

4 2018 - the complete team performance as Easts dominate the storm

5 2002 - Freddy Fittler guides the Roosters to their first premiership in 27 years

Honorable mention to 1974

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Great summation, and yes how could i forget about the 2005, a classic ,Scott Prince and Benji that year, its funny i remember making cocktails before the game, sparkling wine, vodka and pineapple juice, Mrs Horrie said these are strong and if i have another i may be asleep in no time, funny we knocked a back a couple more and totally enjoyed the game.

You mean mrs hastings right

Or were you with the mistress?

Latest posts