What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 Hour NRL channel

nrlnrl

First Grade
Agreed, why not play old games, they have the whole NRL library to pick from. They could even mix it up and show old English games like that CC game you mentioned.

But instead we'll get Matty Johns over and over.

I think it'll take a while for them to find the right mix. It was a totally unexpected development for the comp to be postponed & it's looking to be at least 3 months of no new games. I just looked at the guide for next week & from Monday there's more games & specials with Fox League Live only in the afternoon/night (from 5pm).

PARRA_FAN

Coach
This League Live is ok, but that bit with Nat Wood telling an old story was a bit cringeworthy. I mean I couldn't quite hear him some of the times because the audio was rubbish and he seemed to drag on a bit with the story, I lost interest a bit.

The morning show I get but c'mon Fox League be more creative, show an old game and have current commentators call the game, as long as Braith and Hodges aren't commentating.

roofromoz

First Grade
I would like to see much more old games as well, but the I feel that they will go with 'tried and tested' method of only showing the pool of games they normally show in the off-season, instead of some deep cuts (i.e. rare matches that haven't been screened for years).

Conduct polls for each club and just throw it open, rather than restrict it to a limited number of matches. If Fox Sports have it (surely they have every match going back to 1997 and limited matches going back to the 1970s) then they could show it (pending rights to do so).

For example, I would love to see Penrith's demolition of Canterbury at Penrith Park in 1989. I know it was televised as I have seen a 1 minute clip on Youtube and Graeme Hughes was commentating it so it would have been a Channel 10 State Bank Big Game. At the time, it was seen as the most complete match that Penrith had played in their 22 year old history to date.

Brutus

Referee
I would like to see much more old games as well, but the I feel that they will go with 'tried and tested' method of only showing the pool of games they normally show in the off-season, instead of some deep cuts (i.e. rare matches that haven't been screened for years).

Conduct polls for each club and just throw it open, rather than restrict it to a limited number of matches. If Fox Sports have it (surely they have every match going back to 1997 and limited matches going back to the 1970s) then they could show it (pending rights to do so).

For example, I would love to see Penrith's demolition of Canterbury at Penrith Park in 1989. I know it was televised as I have seen a 1 minute clip on Youtube and Graeme Hughes was commentating it so it would have been a Channel 10 State Bank Big Game. At the time, it was seen as the most complete match that Penrith had played in their 22 year old history to date.

Was that the game where Alexander scored off a Geyer pass over the back of his head. It was a brilliant try involving several players.

Edit: Just watched the youtube clip. That was it. Sensational try. Hughes's commentary was sublime as well.

no name

Coach
Surely everyone has cancelled their subscription to Foxtel/Kayo and given the reason of ‘no NRL’ for doing so?
I can’t understand why anyone would still have any sport package whatsoever on.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Interested to see how the Fox League Classics Live idea goes - new calls of old games. Friday, Saturday & Sunday this weekend. I didn't catch all times though - think they might be similar to when games would normally be played.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surely everyone has cancelled their subscription to Foxtel/Kayo and given the reason of ‘no NRL’ for doing so?
I can’t understand why anyone would still have any sport package whatsoever on.

The MRS likes uKTV so wont let me :(
Anyone know how you can get the BBC in Australia?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interested to see how the Fox League Classics Live idea goes - new calls of old games. Friday, Saturday & Sunday this weekend. I didn't catch all times though - think they might be similar to when games would normally be played.

Vossy will have a field day, will be worth watching any he is commentating!

Headless Chook

Juniors
I'm sorry, but what is the point of having old matches called again with new commentary? Am I missing something? Other than keeping Fox media types on the gravy train, I can't think of a single reason. Totally pointless.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I'm sorry, but what is the point of having old matches called again with new commentary? Am I missing something? Other than keeping Fox media types on the gravy train, I can't think of a single reason. Totally pointless.
Agree, would be ok with the current commentators directing the game more throughly than they can do live but what is the point of Pretending they are calling it in real time.

Brutus

Referee
Vossy or Balmain fan Warren Smith should have called the 89 GF.

Ginnane is freaking annoying. He should go back to calling Swans games.

Fox talks about the NRL being bloated with staff and wasted $$$.

FMD...take a look at your own house first.

They've railroaded some of their non ex player commentators and got that many ex-players in roles now.

Still have Voss, Smith, Speed, Raymond, Russell, Ginnane.

ATM the footy players are...
Matty, Fletch, Hindy, Tallis, Hodges, Ennis, Brandy, Ikin, Toovey, Blocker, Cronk, Mal Meninga, Parker, Walters, Braith, Buderus, Sammy, Jame Graeme, Benji...

Along with Hooper, Kent, Crawley, Rothfield, Emma Lawrence...

And Vonny, Hannah, Jess, Megan, Lara, Shirvo. And the Professor and Barney.

Only recently just got rid of Gaz, Finch, McKinnon, Kimmorley.

King hit

Coach
Vossy or Balmain fan Warren Smith should have called the 89 GF.

Ginnane is freaking annoying. He should go back to calling Swans games.
They should get Blocker to call that game. It's gold whenever he is on a panel and they bring that game up to him

Monday Roast

Juniors
Absolutely baffling that Fox can't see the solution staring them in the face. Overheads too high, people just want to watch old games without the blather of (mostly) idiots - voila! The next person to take out a Fox or Kayo subscription to see three heads sitting around a table reciting what's in the papers, recounting hackneyed old memories or awkwardly chatting to a current or ex player on Skype will be the first person.

Same can be said for watching three guys commentating a game that's already been played!! This ridiculous concept may have had an iota of merit with a bit more historic "what-if" analysis, but no, there's pretend as if it's happening now interspersed with pathetic "jokes" about players in said old game who are now colleagues.

Speaking of old games, I'll say it like I have countless times before on here - SHOW US SOME 1997 SUPER LEAGUE GAMES. I know they exist in the Fox archives, this isn't like World Series cricket, where the stats do not count towards players' official records. And full replays, not 60 or 30 minute cut down jobs.

PS welcome back undertaker, your insight on here has been missed.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I kind of take back what I said about having old games called by current commentators. I watched a few over the weekend and thought, meh. Nothing exciting as you know the result, plus some of the old footage is cut so its pointless have a "live" commentary. The one good thing would having Vossy or Smith call a game that originally had dull commentary like Tim Gilbert or Rex Mossop in 1987.

Also wouldn't it be weird if Vossy calls a game in the past, he actually called back then?

I have barely watched anything on Fox, this League Live is just the same old same old, same guests on Face time and blokes coming up with ridiculous 17's.

At least with Fox Cricket, obviously with no IPL or tests around the world, theyre showing classic games. Couldn't Fox League show at least 1 or 2 per night from the 80s or 90s?

I guess now I'll go on Youtube watch some old games or there are some very good Facebook pages that show classics from both here and the UK.

undertaker

Coach
Roy Masters made a lengthy documentary about it, but it has never seen the light of day.

It was produced by Cobbstar productions

I contacted them 6 months ago and still haven't received a reply.

So, Cobbstar productions showed a trailer of a documentary that was never released? Why hasn't the documentary been released?