What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Branson Vale

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes me also , that being one of my favourite Saints , the chap was the complete 5/8 th tradesman - ever so workmanlike.

May he rest easy with the other Saint players from the golden age that have gone before him . :innocent:

Gareth67

First Grade
Unlike the present , those were the days when everybody wanted to play for the Dragons- we were able to recruit a Wallaby in Phil Hawthorne and a Kangaroo in TB to compete for the one spot. Ah -memories..

I recall a game against Manly where PHIL Hawthorne kicked 3 or 4 penalty goals by DROP-KICK instead of the normal place kick to win the Saints the match by 6 or 8 to nil.

Manly didn't take to kindly to that , nor did Rex Mossop - gawd luv 'em .:relaxed:

But back to Tony Branson , undoubtedly one of the best of that era .

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I recall a game against Manly where PHIL Hawthorne kicked 3 or 4 penalty goals by DROP-KICK instead of the normal place kick to win the Saints the match by 6 or 8 to nil.

Manly didn't take to kindly to that , nor did Rex Mossop - gawd luv 'em .:relaxed:

But back to Tony Branson , undoubtedly one of the best of that era .

Old Rex was an ex rah rah himself so he should have been used to that- TB sounds like one of the many uncomplicated and likeable country boys (eg MIck Cronin) who came to the big smoke and endeared themselves to fans.