What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Canard

Immortal
Firstly they aren't just grassroots organisations, and never have been, and only two of them are getting that opportunity to 'protect their interests' at the expense of all the others.

Do you honestly think that when the time comes to talk about how money for the state leagues and grassroots should be split that the NSWRL and QRL are going to work in the interests of the "Affiliated states" as well, who won't get a say and are way more desperate for funding, or do you reckon they're going to chew up as much funding as they can because that's in their best interests as organisations, then leave the scraps for everybody else?

That is always the problem with boards that aren't independent, the people on the board use their position to work in their group's own interest at the expense of others.
The only ways around that problem is too effectively have a senate where everybody gets a representative (which are ungainly, slow to react, and all round ineffectual), or too have a board that is as independent as possible.

Everyone involved in that game should have a say, you can't create true independence.

To give the organisations that are responsible for 99% of the running and development of the game as much say as Tasmania or WA in its funding and operation is lunatic fringe stuff.

You two have a gripe regarding expansion and your inventing all sorts of convoluted ways to get it.

Canard

Immortal
What’s the feeling around a possible 3 Game series for the Grand Final? Can understand why the NRL would be interested but personally a big no from me.

The great appeal about a GF is that it’s all on the line for two teams. One chance at glory.

Where has this come from?

unforgiven

Bench
Everyone involved in that game should have a say, you can't create true independence.

To give the organisations that are responsible for 99% of the running and development of the game as much say as Tasmania or WA in its funding and operation is lunatic fringe stuff.

You two have a gripe regarding expansion and your inventing all sorts of convoluted ways to get it.
The point is those organisations should be just implementing the strategies introduced by the independent commission, that is how it is meant to work and the reason ours is such a mess is our commission is not independent!

I can't see it on NRL.com
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/21/coronavirus-nrl-news-latest-updates/

All ideas on the table
ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys has confirmed a three-game grand final series is one of the many options being considered for the revised NRL calendar.

V’landys said in a News Corp report the option was a discussion point for the league as it tries to find ways to make up for the delay in the season from last week's decision to suspend the Telstra Premiership due to the global coronavirus pandemic.

"It’s an option that will be considered," he told The Courier Mail.

Under such a proposal, the grand final series could be played at three venues in Sydney, Brisbane and potentially Townsville's new Queensland Country Bank Stadium if a decider was needed.

Canard

Immortal
Considering the vacuum of $$ that happen this year, it's not a bad option to consider as a one off.

This season, if it ever gets going, will always be *

Canard

Immortal
The point is those organisations should be just implementing the strategies introduced by the independent commission, that is how it is meant to work and the reason ours is such a mess is our commission is not independent!

Sounds like a dictatorship.

The partners should have as much say in it as anyone though.

f**ked if I'd be happy about some horse racing wanker make decisions about how Junior League is run, with no say from those that run it.

unforgiven

Bench

f**ked if I'd be happy about some horse racing wanker make decisions about how Junior League is run, with no say from those that run it.
No those organisations are meant to come to the commission with their ideas and then the commission sets the priorities for those organisations to follow. What did you think an independent commission was?

taste2taste

Juniors

Having the self interested, short sighted, money grabbing clubs run the game is a terrible idea. The less say they have the better.

Your comment that the game is run by VLandys shows how little understanding you have why and how an independent commission is run.

Canard

Immortal
Having the self interested, short sighted, money grabbing clubs run the game is a terrible idea. The less say they have the better.

Your comment that the game is run by VLandys shows how little understanding you have why and how an independent commission is run.

I'm talking about that States, I'm totally against cutting out their say in that game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm talking about that States, I'm totally against cutting out their say in that game.

why? None of the afl states have a seat on the commission and it seems to be working a hell of a lot better than our convulated mess. States should lobby for their interests but not have a seat at the decision making table.

Spot On

Coach

Yeah, that makes great sense, considering the excellent state of junior league ... he could only f**k it up hey.

JFC.

Junior league is a deadset, f**king disgrace.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
why? None of the afl states have a seat on the commission and it seems to be working a hell of a lot better than our convulated mess. States should lobby for their interests but not have a seat at the decision making table.

100%. Proven beyond doubt that model does not work for RL.

Piss the states off - ASAP.

The Great Dane

First Grade
On principle I agree to an extent that if anybody is getting a say then everybody should get a say, but A. that isn't happening only certain lobby groups are getting a say, and B. every business that has tried this model of every interest group having a representative has ended up with ludicrously large boards/leadership groups that spend so much time arguing over what should be done, and how to do it, that nothing actually gets done.

You're also right that true objectivity is impossible, but you can get close enough that it's functional and very successful. Just look at the AFL, I think that every informed person would rather the AFL's leadership than the NRL's if given the choice.
Where did I say that the Affiliated States should get as much money as the NSWRL or QRL?

Of course they shouldn't get as much, but they should definitely be getting more than they do so they have enough money that they could actually make some significant investments in growth in the hope that one day they can become as big as the NSWRL and QRL, but this is an aside.

To the original point that I was making, if you are going to have reps for the NSWRL and QRL on the board then surely the Affiliated States need reps as well or their interests will just be railroaded.

This discussion doesn't really have anything to do with expansion, so I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up lol.

Last edited: