What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

The Great Dane

First Grade
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/21/coronavirus-nrl-news-latest-updates/

All ideas on the table
ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys has confirmed a three-game grand final series is one of the many options being considered for the revised NRL calendar.

V’landys said in a News Corp report the option was a discussion point for the league as it tries to find ways to make up for the delay in the season from last week's decision to suspend the Telstra Premiership due to the global coronavirus pandemic.

"It’s an option that will be considered," he told The Courier Mail.

Under such a proposal, the grand final series could be played at three venues in Sydney, Brisbane and potentially Townsville's new Queensland Country Bank Stadium if a decider was needed.

I don't like it, but sometimes when you need money you gotta do what you gotta do. So I wouldn't be happy about it but I guess I could live with it as a one off .

I'd be mighty pissed if my team won the first game but lost the series though...

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
With RU on life support in this region of the world there will never Be a better opportunity for rugby league to flic the switch and put one of its historic rivals in the ground.
My idea to cut off the oxygen
Invite
Melbourne rebels, qlNd reds, western force and Wellington clubs to switch codes and join the nrl. 20 team 2 conf league. $20million max club expenditure. Nrl grant of $11mill making it cost effective to expand. Nrl games 2 clubs in Melbourne and Brisbane, 2 in nz, a twiggy forest backed perth club. Ru dies a ignominious death.

lockyno1

Post Whore
With RU on life support in this region of the world there will never Be a better opportunity for rugby league to flic the switch and put one of its historic rivals in the ground.
My idea to cut off the oxygen
Invite
Melbourne rebels, qlNd reds, western force and Wellington clubs to switch codes and join the nrl. 20 team 2 conf league. $20million max club expenditure. Nrl grant of $11mill making it cost effective to expand. Nrl games 2 clubs in Melbourne and Brisbane, 2 in nz, a twiggy forest backed perth club. Ru dies a ignominious death.

So we have teams going broke, the NRL not having much in terms of cash reserves....and your option is to expand? You realise how silly and unpractical that is. We need to focus on getting these clubs that are in the NRL back on their feet. Forget expanding for 5+ years, it's not needed and it would financially cripple the code.

Pommy

Coach
So we have teams going broke, the NRL not having much in terms of cash reserves....and your option is to expand? You realise how silly and unpractical that is. We need to focus on getting these clubs that are in the NRL back on their feet. Forget expanding for 5+ years, it's not needed and it would financially cripple the code.

There’s to many clubs in Sydney why not sue this opportunity to put RL on a solid foundation?

lockyno1

Post Whore
There’s to many clubs in Sydney why not sue this opportunity to put RL on a solid foundation?

In your view there is. Don't see any team that shouldn't be in the NRL, all are strategic regions at worst. Mergers don't work, it's not the same- ask my mother! She can't stand the Wests Tigers. We need to put expansion on the back burner. Lets get our sides up and running and profitable.

The one thing is that clubs should take this as a warning sign- there was too much needless spending.

Perth Red

Post Whore

yep, at times of great adversity can be found great opportunity. The problem with the game is not lack of money, its how the money is being spent and lack of controls on the clubs to ensure viability. The game wont get a better opportunity than this.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In your view there is. Don't see any team that shouldn't be in the NRL, all are strategic regions at worst. Mergers don't work, it's not the same- ask my mother! She can't stand the Wests Tigers. We need to put expansion on the back burner. Lets get our sides up and running and profitable.

The one thing is that clubs should take this as a warning sign- there was too much needless spending.

You can achieve that overnight by NRL flexing its control and imposing a total expenditure cap on clubs based on lowest revenue club -5%margin.

dogslife

Coach
I don't like it, but sometimes when you need money you gotta do what you gotta do. So I wouldn't be happy about it but I guess I could live with it as a one off .

I'd be mighty pissed if my team won the first game but lost the series though...
Wouldn't be the first time someone's team lost the battle, but won the war

lockyno1

Post Whore
yep, at times of great adversity can be found great opportunity. The problem with the game is not lack of money, its how the money is being spent and lack of controls on the clubs to ensure viability. The game wont get a better opportunity than this.

Right now the issue IS a lack of money. It doesn't have the cash in the bank that other codes do hence having to try these silly missions to get the game back on TV.

Forget expansion for at least 5 years, it's going to take 3 seasons for the game to financially recover, it just will. Lets get the core strong again, whilst putting in measures so clubs don't overspend. We don't need to expand and the game won't do it (thankfully as we don't have the depth). As it is there is 2-3 teams worth of players that are borderline first graders.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Right now the issue IS a lack of money. It doesn't have the cash in the bank that other codes do hence having to try these silly missions to get the game back on TV.

Forget expansion for at least 5 years, it's going to take 3 seasons for the game to financially recover, it just will. Lets get the core strong again, whilst putting in measures so clubs don't overspend. We don't need to expand and the game won't do it (thankfully as we don't have the depth). As it is there is 2-3 teams worth of players that are borderline first graders.

Again not true, NRL has about as much cash equity, and in some sports cases more, as most of Australia's sports. This a once in a lifetime extreme scenario that no one could have been prepared for. We dont need to, but maybe we should. The problem is not lack of revenue, weve got squillions, its clubs continuing to not manage their businesses sustainably. NRL has this opportunity to change that if it has the balls. By doing so it can also reduce the amount clubs need from the NRL, giving the NRL the resources to kill Union in Australia if they could get some key clubs to switch.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Which other codes are cashed up? The AFL and Cricket maybe... certainly not Union or soccer.

Latest posts