What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 Grand Finals

Hutty1986

Immortal
1 2019 - Roosters overcome adversity and an inspired raiders team to become the first back to back premiers of the NRL era. Wonderful defense, superb captaincy by Boydy, sensational JWH

2 2013 - wow. What a game!!! Epic encounter. SBW showing why he was the best player on the planet. Jenko and Maloney awesome!!

3 1975 - 38-0. Enough said

4 2018 - the complete team performance as Easts dominate the storm

5 2002 - Freddy Fittler guides the Roosters to their first premiership in 27 years

Honorable mention to 1974
:joy::joy:what "adversity" did the chooks have last year? They've been blessed for years.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Alexander scored after that to bring it to 4 points but they only got about half a minute after the kick off.

Didn't the coverage that day actually miss showing Alexander scoring the try because the camera was showing the replay of Cartwright playing the ball over the line then getting held back and getting the penalty ?

Reflector

Juniors
Top 5 Grand Finals (in no particular order)

1) Raiders v Tigers, 1989

A great display of Rugby League (cliche as that sounds) and a real state of the game as the 80's drew to a close. The NSWRL deserved every bit of optimism it had going into the 90's. Watching this game at least once should be a rite of passage for any footy fan, regardless of who they support

2) Knights v Sea Eagles, 1997

A thrilling rollercoaster ride of a game, even if you're a neutral. Both teams deserved to win, if that's possible. Yet for probably 90% of neutrals it had the ideal ending that leaves a smile on your face

3) Panthers v Roosters, 2003

The "You score 20, we'll score 30" Panthers vs the star-studded, precision drilled Roosters. Ad rain and this is a contest for the ages, again with an ending that 90% of neutrals would be happy with.

4) Sea Eagles v Roosters, 2013

I wasn't enthused about this match-up going into it, but was pleasantly surprised by how good this game turned out to be. The quality of footy on display from both sides was top shelf, and just when you thought one side had it done and dusted, the other team came storming back to snatch the Premiership.

5) Broncos v Cowboys, 2015

Admittedly a fairly dull (although evenly matched contest) that suddenly went from 4/10 all the way up to 11 in the final 5 minutes. I can only imagine the intense rollercoaster of emotions for both sets of fans from about 79:30 to the final whistle...

Top 5 Feel Good Grand Finals-

1) Panthers v Raiders, 1991

The day Penrith's 25 year journey from chocolate soldier easy-beats to Champions (in one of the most iconic kits to ever grace the league). The fact Royce went out with two tries made it a perfect day

2) Knights v Sea Eagles, 1997

A massive shot in the arm for the hard-hit Hunter Valley, and the game as a whole in what could've been one of the most forgettable seasons of Rugby League on record. Fairytale was not a cliche. If the ending doesn't bring a tear to your eye you must be a stone-hearted bastard or a Manly supporter

3) Knights v Eels, 2001

After a few years of deciders featuring the Storm, Roosters or Broncos this game was a breath of fresh air in regards to the mass of support for both sides and how their respective regions got behind them. Parra had an amazing season breaking all kinds of records and the Knights had quality across the park and could put a score on anybody on their day- both sides had deserved to appear in a decider for a few years based upon their rosters and it finally came to fruition at the same time.

4) Tigers v Cowboys, 2005

The definition of a feel-good GF, virtually nobody disliked either team and they both played entertaining, high scoring footy. Tigers peaked at the right end of the year and managed to just keep going and going with their pedal to the metal. Cowboys made some costly mistakes on the night, but you could see they had the makings of a team who'd be regular finals contenders for a while to come. In hindsight it was the end of an era, just before the purple filth ruined much of the following decade for any number of reasons

5) Raiders v Roosters, 2019

After years of being the butt of jokes, Ricky's Raiders finally made it all the way to the big dance. Mal leading that 20k strong viking clap was an awesome sight to behold, and it felt like Canberra were going to do a Penrith 2003 up until the final 10 minutes...

Reflector

Juniors
I do have to mention the 2018 Grand Final, never I have seen such a more dominant first 40 minute display than the Roosters put together that night, it was almost perfect first 40 mins which left Melbourne shell shocked.

The two great things about that night were watching Latrell make Chambers his bitch, and seeing Billius Slaterusus (on the National Parks & Wildlife list of Protected Species) yelling at the ref to "use his f**king eyes" as the contest slipped away and then ending his career to a chorus of boos.

King hit

Coach
I do have to mention the 2018 Grand Final, never I have seen such a more dominant first 40 minute display than the Roosters put together that night, it was almost perfect first 40 mins which left Melbourne shell shocked.
I remember being very nervous during that game in the second half I kept thinking that Melbourne would come back. It wasn't till Keary knocked over that field goal then I knew it was over. When I watched it a second time I was just laughing that I was actually nervous.

TheFrog

Coach
Didn't the coverage that day actually miss showing Alexander scoring the try because the camera was showing the replay of Cartwright playing the ball over the line then getting held back and getting the penalty ?
I think the ABC got it but channel 7 missed it. I remember Big Artie on the ABC asking Warren Boland whether they'd take the two or go for the try, after the try had already been scored. If you blinked you missed it. Hollywood Hartley called it correctly on the radio though.

When did GFs in RL commence? 1981?

It depends on how far you go back. In some of the early years of the NSWRL, the Premiership was determined solely by how the regular season finished with no finals series at all played (1912-1925) unless two teams finished level on points, then they had a one off finals game. 1926 saw the introduction of a finals series (a top 4).

However a grand final (which came about much later) only occurred if the minor premiers lost in the first week of the semis and they could challenge the winners of the final to play in a "grand" final. This remained the case until 1954 when Grand Finals became mandatory.

axl rose

Bench
Busting the myth of the 89 GF which was just replayed on Kayo. The Tigers were awful in attack in the first half, and most of the game. When Bill Harrigan wasn't nitpicking and blowing a penalty against them they either dropped it, kicked it on the 2nd tackle or threw it over the sideline. 2003 was a great quality game in the wet and far superior, among many others.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I remember being very nervous during that game in the second half I kept thinking that Melbourne would come back. It wasn't till Keary knocked over that field goal then I knew it was over. When I watched it a second time I was just laughing that I was actually nervous.
Why were you nervous? You supported Brisbane

Dodgy

Juniors
I think I've said this before, but I'll say it here maybe again just in case.

I'm from Melbourne and have barely stepped in NSW. I picked Penrith from watching the 1990 GF. Penrith were the working class underdogs and, as a 9yo, I thought they had the best mascot/moniker in all Australian footy codes. My interest in RL was arms length, contained to GFs, SoO.

But the 2003 GF was so ******* good, I wanted to play RL and was looking up clubs in Melbourne that week. Unfortunately, with how the teams were spread out in Melbourne at the time from where I lived, none were close enough to be even mildly practical to play. But I really did want to play.

5 months later, the NE Patriots and Carolina Panther played in one of the all time great super bowls. The coverage with Ed Wyatt spent most breaks letting viewers know where to play American football in Australia. So playing that filled the void.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Busting the myth of the 89 GF which was just replayed on Kayo. The Tigers were awful in attack in the first half, and most of the game. When Bill Harrigan wasn't nitpicking and blowing a penalty against them they either dropped it, kicked it on the 2nd tackle or threw it over the sideline. 2003 was a great quality game in the wet and far superior, among many others.

Haven't watched the 1989 Grand Final for years but I think what puts it in a more classic position is the ending with Benny Elias field goal hitting the cross bar which would have given the Tigers the win, then Chicka Ferguson crossing on the shadow of the full time siren in normal time to level the scores up.

2003 was a classic , wasn't upset that night when Penrith won because they deserved it, under the conditions the quality of the game was brilliant, got very wet that night.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
I

Haven't watched the 1989 Grand Final for years but I think what puts it in a more classic position is the ending with Benny Elias field goal hitting the cross bar which would have given the Tigers the win, then Chicka Ferguson crossing on the shadow of the full time siren in normal time to level the scores up.

t.
Was a very quick game with limited interchange, no video refs etc they didnt even stop when blokes were injured. Harrigan stopped to look at himself in a mirror and on the big screen a few times but that was about it.

Back when wingers didnt have to be 100+ kg. What a player, carved up Balmain all day.

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
Limited range since I can only remember as far back as 1995. Had a hard time outside 03 as most of them involved teams that Rugby League fans despise:

1.) 2003 - Obviously. One of the all time great finals. What a performance from Luke Priddis.

2.) 1999 - First half madness from the Dragons: Blacklock try was thrilling. Mundine no try big game changer. And then a penalty try in the second half. So much drama. Same day I f**ked up my leg and got 9 stitches after a wedding.

3.) 2001 - First grand final under lights (Excluding SL). Parramatta were absolute favourites. Not an amazing game, but loved the Tahu put down. Great moment.

4.) 2016 - Both teams were full of wankers but one of the great finishes. Fifita robbed of a CCM.

5.) 2015 - Same as above...but again a great finish.

Sonny83

Juniors
2015 in last 10 mins
2016 feels good fairy tail 1st Premier win for the Sharks
2019 I thought Roosters were going to lose against the constant onslaught by Canberra in 2nd half.

Vic Mackey

Referee

100% agree. Ive watched the game 3 or 4 times and as recently as a year or two ago. The only reason it still mentioned so highly is because it was the first GF to go to extra time, and it did have a large amount of huge match defining moments, all of which went Canberras way. However the quality of the game was actually terrible.

The Raiders were by far the better team for the entire 80 and then 100 minutes. Balmain leading 12-2 at halftime was more a fluke then anything, two very lucky tries. Then everything that could go wrong did. The Mick Neil ankle tap, the cross bar, Pearce dropping the ball 10m out with a 3 on 1 outside him and of course Harrigan pulling out the 1 in 112 year penalty against Maguire when the score was 14-2, with the Raiders scoring next set.

1990/91 were far superior games in terms of quality, with 90 in particualr probably the most under rated GF of them all.

2016 was boring AF for mine. Literally the only line break was in the 80th minute. Before that it was 79 minutes of one up wrestlemania boreathon.

1) For mine 2003 is the best Ive seen. Absolutely terrential conditions but both sides still played footy and at the highest level you could have asked for. Luke Priddis putting in what was probably the best individual performance in a GF in recent memory. I think the Roosters win the GF on most occassions with a performance like that, but the Panthers just bettered them

2) 1997. Ive watched this a few times and again its absolute top quality from both teams. Chief and Spud going at it in the first half, Manly early dominace but the Knights hung in there. For the first half of the secoind half the Eagles were camped on Newcastles line. I really think their defensive effort gets forgotten with the finish to this game, they had no right to hold on but did

3) 2015. I loved this game and never understood why some dismiss it. The last 30 minutes where the Broncos shut up shop whilst only up by 4 was intriguing viewing. It was one teams attack V one teams defence. The last try, missed converstion and then start of golden point is probably the most drama filled 2/3 mins Ive ever seen in rugby league

4) 1990. As mentioned above, great game.

5) 2013. I did enjoy this game and some of the tries were exciting however watching it back it felt more like a really good club game then a great Grand Final. It was pretty loose in parts and reminded me a lot of the 2005 GF, which even though Im a Tigers fan can admit certainly didnt reach any gret heights. Still it was entertaining and fairly open which was a nice change considering the previous 8 or so GFs had been pretty under whelming.

Reflector

Juniors
100% agree. Ive watched the game 3 or 4 times and as recently as a year or two ago. The only reason it still mentioned so highly is because it was the first GF to go to extra time, and it did have a large amount of huge match defining moments, all of which went Canberras way. However the quality of the game was actually terrible.

The Raiders were by far the better team for the entire 80 and then 100 minutes. Balmain leading 12-2 at halftime was more a fluke then anything, two very lucky tries. Then everything that could go wrong did. The Mick Neil ankle tap, the cross bar, Pearce dropping the ball 10m out with a 3 on 1 outside him and of course Harrigan pulling out the 1 in 112 year penalty against Maguire when the score was 14-2, with the Raiders scoring next set.

1990/91 were far superior games in terms of quality, with 90 in particualr probably the most under rated GF of them all.

2016 was boring AF for mine. Literally the only line break was in the 80th minute. Before that it was 79 minutes of one up wrestlemania boreathon.

1) For mine 2003 is the best Ive seen. Absolutely terrential conditions but both sides still played footy and at the highest level you could have asked for. Luke Priddis putting in what was probably the best individual performance in a GF in recent memory. I think the Roosters win the GF on most occassions with a performance like that, but the Panthers just bettered them

2) 1997. Ive watched this a few times and again its absolute top quality from both teams. Chief and Spud going at it in the first half, Manly early dominace but the Knights hung in there. For the first half of the secoind half the Eagles were camped on Newcastles line. I really think their defensive effort gets forgotten with the finish to this game, they had no right to hold on but did

3) 2015. I loved this game and never understood why some dismiss it. The last 30 minutes where the Broncos shut up shop whilst only up by 4 was intriguing viewing. It was one teams attack V one teams defence. The last try, missed converstion and then start of golden point is probably the most drama filled 2/3 mins Ive ever seen in rugby league

4) 1990. As mentioned above, great game.

5) 2013. I did enjoy this game and some of the tries were exciting however watching it back it felt more like a really good club game then a great Grand Final. It was pretty loose in parts and reminded me a lot of the 2005 GF, which even though Im a Tigers fan can admit certainly didnt reach any gret heights. Still it was entertaining and fairly open which was a nice change considering the previous 8 or so GFs had been pretty under whelming.

Watching the Broncos in the last 30 minutes of that game was like watching Balmain in the last 15 minutes of the '89 GF- I really don't get teams trying to shut up shop when they're less than 2 converted tries clear?

Latest posts