What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super league suspended

Perth Red

Post Whore
The coronavirus shutdown could be a chance for rugby league to reset and create a new blueprint for the future of the sport, according to one of the game's most experienced figures.

Survival of clubs is the immediate concern, says Hull KR head coach Tony Smith, but the whole game has a chance now to change direction and plot a more sustainable future - with a focus on talent production.

"This is an opportunity for us," said Smith, the former GB boss, who helped resurrect the fortunes of Huddersfield, Leeds and Warrington in a coaching career that began nearly 20 years ago.
"The immediate focus is getting through this now. But once we get some answers to that, then we really need to take stock of what the game should look like, could look like, how strong it needs to be and in what areas.

"I'm not sure there's been a lot of focus on that for a number of years. This is a chance to do that."

Many clubs were walking a financial tightrope even before the current crisis. And many coaches had expressed alarm at the falling numbers in player talent pools in the junior ranks.

Now Smith believes both concerns could be addressed.

"Good on anyone who can earn whatever they can, it's not the players' fault, I'm not blaming players, but it's just got so cutthroat at the top in order to try to field the best team." he added.

"We spend so much money on player wages, we let our grassroots and junior systems be depleted.

"In this country we really need to take stock of how we are going to produce top-class players and more of them. And I think in order to do that, we need a bigger player pool at the bottom. So you need to finance more into the junior sections.

"If your playing pools aren't as big as some other player pools in the world, how do you make your player pools good? That's through fantastic coaching. So coach education needs to be focused."

'We need to take stock'
Smith also believes that the structure of the competition needs to be addressed.

"Most of the country has a system of promotion and relegation. And when you have that, it takes the focus to the top and survival, rather than growth below." he said.

"We've got to really work out what systems we want and what works best for the game.

"As soon as we get through some of this and we start to regroup and understand whatever levels we're playing at, and what adjustments we've had to make with the competition and wages and all those things, we really need to take stock of what the future needs to look like and how we are going to get there."
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/52051964

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/52104908

Some Super League clubs think there should be no relegation in 2020 because of disruption caused by coronavirus, says Toronto chairman Bob Hunter.

The Canadian side were promoted last season, but are bottom of the table after losing their first six games.

Super League has been suspended since 16 March and the situation will be discussed in a video call on Tuesday.

"It has nothing to do with our zero and six record, and I know we're not alone in expressing that," Hunter said.

"We, amongst other clubs, have voiced our opinion that we don't think that this is a good year to do it [relegation] but that's a Rugby Football League decision.

"The year has been so disruptive, I just don't think it's fair to any team."

Wolfpack signed two-time rugby union World Cup winner Sonny Bill Williams in November, making him the highest paid player in the history of either code.

But the coronavirus pandemic has led to the club laying off office staff in Toronto, while Hunter says they may have to forego home advantage for some of their remaining games this season.

"There's lots of draft fixtures floating around - they're looking at extending the season by a couple of months and trying to bring in midweek matches which are going to be tough on the players," he added.

"It could end up that we have to play more games in the UK than we had planned but, if that is the only hardship, then we stand by what the league wants to do."

Perth Tiger

Bench
I wonder if the super league is looking at any sort of restructure going forward.

just spitballing on this but giving Toronto were last and TO were top of the championship, it would be unfair on Toronto to go down without even having a chance to Play any home games. Perhaps they could think of expanding to 14 teams and quarantining for spots for permanent overseas teams.

so Toronto, Catalans and TO become exempt from relegation which gives them the security to invest in local infrastructure. English teams get rewarded in the short to medium term with an extra spot for a team in the top flight on the proviso that when a fourth international team (Ottawa or whoever else) earn promotion to the super league they take the fourth quarantined spot that exempts them from going down.

There is also an argument that London should get the fourth spot but I would keep them for international teams.

if that format was successful it could easily be expanded to 16 teams once there are enough international teams meeting the criteria.

Hopefully after this most if not all teams will look at their revenue structures and realise that expanding the geographical basis and potential viewers are crucial to future success and come up with some plan to achieve that.

deluded pom?

Coach
I wonder if the super league is looking at any sort of restructure going forward.

just spitballing on this but giving Toronto were last and TO were top of the championship, it would be unfair on Toronto to go down without even having a chance to Play any home games. Perhaps they could think of expanding to 14 teams and quarantining for spots for permanent overseas teams.

so Toronto, Catalans and TO become exempt from relegation which gives them the security to invest in local infrastructure. English teams get rewarded in the short to medium term with an extra spot for a team in the top flight on the proviso that when a fourth international team (Ottawa or whoever else) earn promotion to the super league they take the fourth quarantined spot that exempts them from going down.

There is also an argument that London should get the fourth spot but I would keep them for international teams.

if that format was successful it could easily be expanded to 16 teams once there are enough international teams meeting the criteria.

Hopefully after this most if not all teams will look at their revenue structures and realise that expanding the geographical basis and potential viewers are crucial to future success and come up with some plan to achieve that.
Too much common sense in that post PT.

Pommy

Coach
If we were giving essentially permanent spots to foreign teams do you think there should be some strict criteria on what the league expects them to do, this could be reviewed at say 5 yearly intervals. This would be set by the league and not rival teams trying to set unachievable targets. Examples could be investing in local players, youth set ups etc.
I have no issue giving them permanent spots as long as they do actually provide something in return for this.

Perth Tiger

Bench
If we were giving essentially permanent spots to foreign teams do you think there should be some strict criteria on what the league expects them to do, this could be reviewed at say 5 yearly intervals. This would be set by the league and not rival teams trying to set unachievable targets. Examples could be investing in local players, youth set ups etc.
I have no issue giving them permanent spots as long as they do actually provide something in return for this.
I see no reason why not but they would have to be individualised to each market, for example investing in juniors or signing local players would be much easier in France than Canada which are the current markets. I don’t know if RL would be sophisticated enough to have realistic and worthwhile criteria for each market that doesn’t end up handicapping the team which would then defeat the purpose

deluded pom?

Coach
Without a doubt mate.

Pommy

Coach
I see no reason why not but they would have to be individualised to each market, for example investing in juniors or signing local players would be much easier in France than Canada which are the current markets. I don’t know if RL would be sophisticated enough to have realistic and worthwhile criteria for each market that doesn’t end up handicapping the team which would then defeat the purpose

Yeah of course the rules should be adjusted for the team maybe not even the market. Say we started this next year and Ottawa didn’t come in to SL for another 5 years they could have the same terms Toronto had in their first 5 years who’s obviously would have changed at this point.

Sky Sports will broadcast five hours of classic derby matches on Good Friday.

No games will take place over the Easter weekend with the rugby league season suspended indefinitely due to the coronavirus pandemic.

However, Super League’s broadcast partners Sky Sports will show 10 re-runs of matches including Wigan v St Helens, Hull FC v Hull KR and Castleford v Wakefield.

And they will also broadcast the full game from the 2003 Good Friday derby between Wigan and St Helens at 1pm.

Four Hull derbies, one West Yorkshire derby between Castleford and Wakefield and six Wigan-St Helens matches in 20-minute highlight packages will be shown over the course of the day.

Sky Sports Arena’s 2020 Good Friday schedule:

Midday: Hull KR v Hull FC (2016)

12:15pm: St Helens v Wigan (2016)

12:30pm: Wigan v St Helens (2017)

12:45pm: Castleford v Wakefield (2017)

Super League rewind

1pm-3pm: Wigan v St Helens (2003)

Good Friday re-runs

3pm: Hull KR v Hull FC (2018)

3:20pm: St Helens v Wigan (2018)

3:40pm: Hull FC v Hull KR (2015)

4:35pm: Wigan v St Helens (2015)

5:30pm: Hull KR v Hull FC (2019)

5:45pm: Wigan v St Helens (2019)

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/sky-sports-to-show-five-hours-of-rugby-league-on-good-friday/

Latest posts