What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Island

18to87

First Grade
With all the ideas about the NRL playing their league out on an island or a desert resort, the NFL really should be working on this contingency, especially as the governor of California said he is confident there will be no NFL games with fans this year.

I am sure there is a small town somewhere, with a nice high school stadium they could use. With this much lead time, they could potentially purpose-build their own operations in Arizona and play the season for television with no fans. Think of all the advertising money they would bring in. Potentially, they could have two operation sites (NFC & AFC) and then an expanded playoffs series where some teams go home and the rest come together. The thought is mouth-watering.

shiznit

Coach
With all the ideas about the NRL playing their league out on an island or a desert resort, the NFL really should be working on this contingency, especially as the governor of California said he is confident there will be no NFL games with fans this year.

I am sure there is a small town somewhere, with a nice high school stadium they could use. With this much lead time, they could potentially purpose-build their own operations in Arizona and play the season for television with no fans. Think of all the advertising money they would bring in. Potentially, they could have two operation sites (NFC & AFC) and then an expanded playoffs series where some teams go home and the rest come together. The thought is mouth-watering.

the difference for the NRL is the season just kicked off so they are losing money from the jump.

The NFL season doesn’t kickoff properly for another 5 months so things could be a lot different in that time.

I don’t think they will be playing with fans this season... but in 5 months time I think they may be able to play in empty stadiums.

In 5 months time we likely won’t have a vaccine but we could have had a breakthrough in testing down to almost instantly which could make it easier to keep environment’s Covid19 free.

but who knows...

nick87

Coach
I dont know much about how this will play out... what i do know is the NFL will figure out a way to play this out, and player welfare be dammed
these owners will ensure this season goes ahead come hell or high water.

3 glaring differences with the NRL and NFL Scenarios here.

1 - Far more teams in NFL (32)
2 - Far more players and coaching staff in NFL (53 players and god knows how many support staff, idea anyone?)
3 - Far more intercity travel in the NFL.

So they'd have 1696 Players to house, not including coaches and support staff (Or Cheerleaders as per Mr Angry's query).

I personally cant see the island thing happening myself.

What NFL has in their favour is the teams have their own planes (or at least I think all of them do?). So
I can see them playing in empty stadiums. They'd need to be quarantined together at all times and all the mindful isolation & testing etc.

I could also see them - and this sounds really out there - playing with protective masks on. Under the helmets. Proper fitted for sports etc, not a flimsy one wheeled out from some factory. Nike may even patent them. Just Do it.

dogslife

Coach
Jerry Jones could knock out a 5000 bed hotel by the end of the week if it came to it