What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons might go into out of town conference

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
What’s your question with this statement? It’s true.
I think his question is possibly that given the lack of traffic on the road at the moment, it’s more like a 45min trip instead.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
What’s your question with this statement? It’s true.
OK, let me write an update.

St George Illawarra is based in the Sydney suburb of Kogarah.

It's true.

What would be the Illawarra mafia's take on that? Both of you may answer.

_snafu_

Immortal
They should bring in NSW and Qld Cup teams to fill out the conferences. That will mean the Dragons will have 2 NSW Cup quality teams playing.

Father Ted

First Grade

It's true.

What would be the Illawarra mafia's take on that? Both of you may answer.[/QUOTE

It's true.

I always took Danny's golden rule as a given. Especially when he told me to my face. Please don't tell me I was misled?

SBD82

Coach

It's true.

I know I shit stir, but I’m not this time.

When talking about the physical football team, (which the sentence clearly was) it is based in Wollongong. That’s where they train.

I’m not sure that’s a controversial point of view.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

It's true.

I just FaceTimed the Don to get his take on it.

He gave a wry smile and a dismissive chuckle..

independent

Juniors
[Source].

Conference 1 (so-called 'Sydney based'): Canterbury, Cronulla, Manly, Parramatta, Penrith, Souths, Easts, Wests Tigers

Saints are supposed to be a non Sydney based team, despite having a home ground and Leagues Club in Kogarah?

Conference 2: Brisbane, Canberra, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Nth Qld, Melbourne, Warriors and St George.- apparently all to play in Qld?

The travel loading alone creates an uneven playing field.

Can't see it working. The broadcasters driving this need to go back to the drawing board.
Just confirms what Ive said many times before, We have lost our Identity , we are not a Sydney based team, where the hell is Kogarah, what a joke.......

redv13

Bench
Just confirms what Ive said many times before, We have lost our Identity , we are not a Sydney based team, where the hell is Kogarah, what a joke.......
As poo as it is let’s be honest here. The comp would be skewed 9-7 if we were counted as a Sydney team. We are the only option of making it 8-8 and let’s face the facts, we as a club are based down in the gong, Sydney based players travel everyday for training to the gong. The days of being based at Kogarah or even 50 50 are long gone and another reason why we struggle to sign big names. Don’t agree with it but it is what it is

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
My thoughts:

8 team Sydney division for 2020 when we restart.

Bottom two teams get the arse so we can focus on expansion post COVID.

Thank f**k we’re not a Sydney team in that case.

Como Connection

First Grade
My thoughts:

Agree, they cannot now kick the Dragons out now as the precedent has been set.
CC

qld redvee

Juniors
Agree, they cannot now kick the Dragons out now as the precedent has been set.
CC
Your 100% correct CC.... If ever a sydney team has to relocate / merge it cant be the dragons .. If we are deemed good enough to be an out of town team for this conference talk then we can never be talked about being a Sydney team that has to be squeezed out to a new location .....

Father Ted

First Grade
My thoughts:

1 Having the two coponent's won't hurt us , provided the NRL respect's their own criteria but like any corporate body they are governed by self interest.

2 Bad idea about getting rid of the two lowest Sydney teams for a couple of reasons what if they are say South's and Parramatta that's good bye to a massive amount of fans and their money and corporate interest. Or say Manly goes and we in effect surrender all the north of Sydney to Rugby Union and or the AFL, and with both those scenarios we lose appeal to sponsors and fans.

3 Most Dragon's fans come from Sydney , How do I know this because whenever I go to a game in Wollongong it's the same old faces I've seen at Kogarah for generations . Even this forum is dominated by St.George fans .

4 We must never fail to acknowledge what all our regions bring to the party . It's a fact that most winning St.George teams had Illawarra players in it and those players brought glory to the places they came from, but they were under the St.George banner.

5 While the money may be coming from the Illawarra end for now , that does not mean it will last. The money has always comes from Sydney because thats where the population lives and sponsors use sporting teams as advertising and to garner good will among consumers.

6 This dream some people have of diluting Sydney for other regions i.e Ipswich and Rockhampton which like the Illawarra traditionally have not been able to grow or support a team long term is fraught with dangers to the game. That does not mean The Illawarra and other country areas are anything less than essential , they are. But Bronco fans for example are always going on about cutting Sydney teams until you suggest another Brisbane team which dilutes the fan base and the corporate dollar and then the enthusiasm dries up.

7 Cutting teams is another of Andrew John's fantasies because if it's done on a financial basis Newcastle and Canberra are probably gone. Melbourne post News ltd are on shaky ground etc etc . In fact every club bar Brisbane would probably go broke .It probably resembles the scenario just before the Superleague war in many ways.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
They should bring in NSW and Qld Cup teams to fill out the conferences. That will mean the Dragons will have 2 NSW Cup quality teams playing.
Then we could ditch Illawarra and use them like every other club as a recruitment ground without sinking millions of dollars into the project. SGI do not have an exclusive on players from the Illawarra district.

Father Ted

First Grade
And while I'm at it ,was it 12 Teams Mr Johns wanted ? Try selling that to the media for the same price as now and frankly it will be less coin in any post corid-19 world. But the grand plan is to make it even less appealing to everything and everyone. Pardon my opinion here but what an idiot..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Then we could ditch Illawarra and use them like every other club as a recruitment ground without sinking millions of dollars into the project. SGI do not have an exclusive on players from the Illawarra district.
I think you’d enjoy the NSW cup..

jeffdragon

Bench
And while I'm at it ,was it 12 Teams Mr Johns wanted ? Try selling that to the media for the same price as now and frankly it will be less coin in any post corid-19 world. But the grand plan is to make it even less appealing to everything and everyone. Pardon my opinion here but what an idiot..
YES suits his team Newcastle and now working with parra and before the chooks.

Father Ted

First Grade
I know I shit stir, but I’m not this time.

When talking about the physical football team, (which the sentence clearly was) it is based in Wollongong. That’s where they train.

I’m not sure that’s a controversial point of view.
They mostly train at Wollongong and sometimes unless I'm misled at Helensburgh and Kogarah. As Cronulla have taken up residence at Kogarah as well , this probably would not be a good time time to drift too far away.
Also my question mark was directed to a few givens that I'm not so sure off.
Danny's golden rule as told to me by the man himself was made when St.George both supplied most of the money and held the NRL license for the joint venture . If Kogarah still holds said license then I would think a sound legal arguement that the team is based in Kogarah holds.
But it was also a time when it was by mutual agreement or an implied arrangement that St.George supplied the CEO to the shelf company. That is no longer the case , so I was wondering what if anything else had changed?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Danny's golden rule as told to me by the man himself was made when St.George both supplied most of the money and held the NRL license for the joint venture . If Kogarah still holds said license then I would think a sound legal arguement that the team is based in Kogarah holds.
The licence is owned by the joint venture.

If St George were the only holders of the licence, it wouldn’t be a joint venture.

Latest posts