What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Crashtest

Juniors
Looks like the resetting the ladder proposal has been scrapped already.

I'm glad that stupid idea was shot down fast.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/07/resetting-ladder-option-set-to-be-ruled-out/

Resetting ladder option set to be ruled out
After floating the option of resetting the Telstra Premiership ladder, ARL Commissioner Wayne Pearce has said it is set to be scrubbed from the long list of ideas being considered by the Innovations Committee.

The committee, which will next meet on Thursday, was considering the step as part of its mandate to look at ways to reschedule the season following last month's decision to suspend the competition due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Pearce, who is heading up the committee, told the Sydney Morning Herald on Monday night that they would consider scrapping the competition points earned over the first two rounds of the season.

However, on Tuesday morning he said on Fox League that he would be against bringing in the controversial move.

"My personal view is when we get the competition up and running again we should carry the results from the opening two rounds," Pearce said.

"Players have worked extremely hard all off-season and clubs have lost players to injuries in those opening two games."

MugaB

Coach
It came from Buzz. Enough said there
Ol cogger should just retire, instead of his rubbish articles, most of them is a rehash of past incidents, bundled together, and spewed out as a list of troubles brewing within the clubs or whoever he feels attacking

franklin2323

Immortal
Ol cogger should just retire, instead of his rubbish articles, most of them is a rehash of past incidents, bundled together, and spewed out as a list of troubles brewing within the clubs or whoever he feels attacking

He gets drunk and reports what the voices say to him instead of what is facts. Perfect example as why drinking heavily is bad

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Roosters still pushing the barrow for the comp to be reset.
Talk about self interest.
Sydney Roosters supremo Nick Politis slammed after calling for NRL ladder reset
Written By Sporting News
3 minutes
upload_2020-4-12_16-7-22.gif
NRL fans have mocked Sydney Roosters supremo Nick Politis after he demanded all 16 clubs start on zero competition points when the 2020 season resumes on May 28.

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys last week floated the possibility of stripping points earned in the first two rounds before the campaign was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

But V’landys and NRL head office quickly back tracked after mass outrage among rugby league pundits and fans.

It is understood the idea of resetting the ladder was initially proposed when a two-conference system was being considered.

The NRL’s Innovation Committee is yet to finalise the revised structure of the competition.

However, it is widely expected to follow a more traditional format, featuring between 15-to-18 regular-season rounds and a four-week finals series.

A fired-up Politis told News Limited journalist Phil Rothfield all clubs must start on equal points unless the entire 24-round draw can be completed.

He likened the revised schedule to changing the Melbourne Cup mid-race to support his argument.

The back-to-back defending champion Roosters were one of six winless teams when the season was suspended after losses to Penrith and Manly.

Six teams currently sit on four points, with the Roosters in 12th position.

It’s fair to say there wasn’t a whole lot of support for the longtime Chooks chairman’s suggestion among NRL fans on social media.

I needed a laugh tonight. Thank you Nick Politis.

— Jon Tuxworth (@Tuxy81) April 11, 2020
:joy::joy::joy: I knew he was part of the push to get clubs to start on zero.

No way he would say it if Roosters were undefeated.

Hahha I had Nick Politis in my list and had no idea what the article was and it’s about him being dodgy as always and Phil is his lap dog and mouth piece

— Professor Paul (@Sonic_Booth) April 11, 2020
Just got off the phone with Nick Politis. Actually, I had to hang up because I was laughing so hard ... :rofl::rofl::rofl: #NRL

— Sydney Bulldogs (@Fake_Greenberg) April 11, 2020
Nick politis wants the season re started all teams on 0 points :rofl::rofl:

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...r-nrl-ladder-reset/1ajxmg5c0mw6f19ah2wlw7490s

franklin2323

Immortal
Roosters still pushing the barrow for the comp to be reset.
Talk about self interest.
Sydney Roosters supremo Nick Politis slammed after calling for NRL ladder reset
Written By Sporting News
3 minutes
View attachment 37535
NRL fans have mocked Sydney Roosters supremo Nick Politis after he demanded all 16 clubs start on zero competition points when the 2020 season resumes on May 28.

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys last week floated the possibility of stripping points earned in the first two rounds before the campaign was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

But V’landys and NRL head office quickly back tracked after mass outrage among rugby league pundits and fans.

It is understood the idea of resetting the ladder was initially proposed when a two-conference system was being considered.

The NRL’s Innovation Committee is yet to finalise the revised structure of the competition.

However, it is widely expected to follow a more traditional format, featuring between 15-to-18 regular-season rounds and a four-week finals series.

A fired-up Politis told News Limited journalist Phil Rothfield all clubs must start on equal points unless the entire 24-round draw can be completed.

He likened the revised schedule to changing the Melbourne Cup mid-race to support his argument.

The back-to-back defending champion Roosters were one of six winless teams when the season was suspended after losses to Penrith and Manly.

Six teams currently sit on four points, with the Roosters in 12th position.

It’s fair to say there wasn’t a whole lot of support for the longtime Chooks chairman’s suggestion among NRL fans on social media.

I needed a laugh tonight. Thank you Nick Politis.

— Jon Tuxworth (@Tuxy81) April 11, 2020
:joy::joy::joy: I knew he was part of the push to get clubs to start on zero.

No way he would say it if Roosters were undefeated.

Hahha I had Nick Politis in my list and had no idea what the article was and it’s about him being dodgy as always and Phil is his lap dog and mouth piece

— Professor Paul (@Sonic_Booth) April 11, 2020
Just got off the phone with Nick Politis. Actually, I had to hang up because I was laughing so hard ... :rofl::rofl::rofl: #NRL

— Sydney Bulldogs (@Fake_Greenberg) April 11, 2020
Nick politis wants the season re started all teams on 0 points :rofl::rofl:

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...r-nrl-ladder-reset/1ajxmg5c0mw6f19ah2wlw7490s

It was always postponed. So no idea where that idea comes from

Kilkenny

Coach
I personally don’t think there is any argument for having all clubs start on zero points and I say this from an entirely unbiased perspective. If we had of lost our first two games it wouldn’t have changed my point of view. The Roosters should suck it up although nothing would surprise me if low and behold when the competition restarts everyone starts on zero points. The results of the two games played should stand pure and simple.

Panther Mick

Juniors

Pomoz

Bench
I know it's done on jersey numbers but they shouldn't have Girdler & Fitter up against each other.
So true, Barry Walker or John Cartwright (on the bench through injury)? Col Bentley, Paul W. or Fittler and Girdler. Easy decision.

I was surprised to see Brandy is absolutely dominating the voting compared to Gower who is no slouch. Right outcome mind:grin:

Pain and strain training with Zane gives Kikau gains in the main
Author
Alicia Newton

Operation keep Viliame Kikau fit.

It's the secret challenge Panthers recruit Zane Tetevano has set himself as the pair train together in isolation to prepare for the NRL season's proposed resumption on May 28.

If the 119kg giant can return to the club's training base next month looking as healthy as when he left, Tetevano will have proved to have been a reliable training partner and Penrith will be the big beneficiaries.

"I pick him up and we go down for a training session and do everything that we're supposed to," Tetevano told NRL.com.

"Last week we had a week of testing and the results that have been coming into the coaches they've been pretty happy with us so, after that, we just wanted to stay on top of it.

"He's been humming and has been going really well. I need to keep him fit and that keeps me pushing as well.
"Speaking to some boys at other clubs they've been doing 2-3 sessions a week. We have been rolling in with 4-5, sometimes six a week."

Tetevano's decision to move from the Central Coast, where he lived during his stint at the Roosters, to Sydney's west in the pre-season has also paid dividends during the pandemic.

However, a fortnight into isolation, he gave in and returned to the Central Coast for a brief visit before stricter measures were put in place.
"It became a bit hard after 2-3 weeks, I know it was bending the rules a little bit to see some family," Tetevano said.

"We went back for a couple of hours to visit my partner's grandparents to make sure they were OK and help out in any way we could.

"Having that bit of time for the kids too helped us come back with some peace of mind."

Tetevano has also been busy visiting his local dentist in a bid to cure an ongoing pain after booking in to have his wisdom teeth taken out before non-essential surgeries were suspended indefinitely.

"I started to get pain but within the first week of isolation I thought I might as well get it done while I've got some time off," Tetevano said.

"At the top of my crown, the tooth was facing towards my teeth rather than poking up.

"There's a dry socket so if the blood clots don't cover it over it's an open wound, it's been like that for god knows how long and it became frustrating to eat.

"I don't think it will be fully healed for a while so it's uncomfortable knowing a bit of food can get stuck there so I'll keep visiting to get it cleaned.

"Hopefully it won't be an issue later on and is all sorted."
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/22...ning-with-zane-gives-kikau-gains-in-the-main/

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
So now that it looks like May 28 will be the restart of the season, I was wondering about player availability.
Edwards, S. Blore, Capewell and Leniu were all down as returning for round 3. So they all should be available for selection.
A bigger question is whether May and Hetherington would be able to play. May was to be allowed to play in round 5 and Hetherington was suspended until round 4. Will the NRL extend their suspensions because no games were played or will they be consisted to have served their time?

Never the less we should have a near full squad come the second start to the season.

franklin2323

Immortal
So now that it looks like May 28 will be the restart of the season, I was wondering about player availability.
Edwards, S. Blore, Capewell and Leniu were all down as returning for round 3. So they all should be available for selection.
A bigger question is whether May and Hetherington would be able to play. May was to be allowed to play in round 5 and Hetherington was suspended until round 4. Will the NRL extend their suspensions because no games were played or will they be consisted to have served their time?

Never the less we should have a near full squad come the second start to the season.

Suspensions should stand if points are kept then so should suspension.