What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to prepare properly

Father Ted

First Grade
Mark Bell...still remember that day John Cross run him down when he was in the clear....we got him at the wrong time of his career.
KC had years left in him and a tough competitor.
Goldy I'll give you but lacked the finishing touch bit like our Benny Hunt
No frills Wardy with the tape round his head...tradesman like but nothing flash.
David Waite good coach..just could not get us over the line in 99....ouch that one hurt!
to be fair remember how 1996 started for us.And how far we got was a miracle

BLM01

First Grade
to be fair remember how 1996 started for us.And how far we got was a miracle
yes and to be robbed by Manson?..in the GF in the 1st half giving Ridge that play on.
He reffed my GF when playing public service comp in the Domain in 91..we won!.

Richard Norton

Juniors
Williame IMO will be better than what we have had , and will turn out a good signing ... Again my option would move Hunt to 9 McInnes to lock Clune to 7 .....
The one issue i see with that, is that you have almost $2 million on a hooker and a lock, that arent really a hooker and a lock.
Thats one thing we need to fix. Players playing out of position.
If we need a lock, put a lock in that position, not makeshift a hooker to play lock.
If Clune is a better half the Hunt, then release Hunt. His paycheck is at a value for a Half. We dont need another million dollar hooker.
Personally, id keep Hunt over Norman.
Get rid of Norman, have a Clune and Hunt halves pairing.
Keep Cam at 9.
We have some good youngsters almost ready for 1st grade.
And we have a stack of players coming off contract.
Time to assess each and every position and all options we have for each position.
Take it from there where we need strengthening and buy externally.

hazzbeen

Bench
Yea I see your point but if Hunt is more creative than McInnes at 9 and Clunes is better than Hunt at 7 then for me it isn't an issue what we paid for each player if it works better then do it ....

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
The one issue i see with that, is that you have almost $2 million on a hooker and a lock, that arent really a hooker and a lock.
If we need a lock, put a lock in that position, not makeshift a hooker to play lock.
If Clune is a better half the Hunt, then release Hunt. His paycheck is at a value for a Half. We dont need another million dollar hooker.
Keep Cam at 9.
Time to assess each and every position and all options we have for each position.
Here here I say. Good time now to really review what is rubbish and to be thrown out and what to buy to replace. Just like looking at your items in the wardrobe and seeing these old shirts and ties and trousers and saying not required anymore so out you go and then going online to buy new stuff.

Ahh yes, such a good time to do a really good analysis of all matters from top to bottom and rid the waste.
Goodbye Mary!!

Richard Norton

Juniors
Yea I see your point but if Hunt is more creative than McInnes at 9 and Clunes is better than Hunt at 7 then it for me it isn't an issue what we paid for each player if it works better then do it ....
I get what your saying, but, i think we have more important positions lacking a great deal more then 9 and 13.
We need to fix our centres, our Fullback, and front row depth.
For all that Hunt offers more in creativity at 9, he also lacks alot of what Cam brings.
Cams defence is top notch, the guy never stops.
Hunt cruises alot throughout games we dont need that at 9.
Theres pros and cons with all scenarios.

possm

Coach
Keep Cam at 9.
Having so many players coming off contract means we should be in a stronger position than many other club in 2021; even if we retain some good players.

I imagine that the NRL will decide to honour funding for existing contracts but decrease cap funding by 50% and then requiring clubs to make up the rest themselves. For example, reducing the cap from 9m to 7m and then providing only 5m. Clubs would then have to make up the difference.

Some players extended will have to take a pay cut, others will be moved on and their replacements offered a reduced salary The bottom line is that club expenses, NRL contributions and play salaries will all be reduced. Club contributions will increase and more entasis on clubs increasing their earnings from outside the NRL sphere will be required.

hazzbeen

Bench
I get what your saying, but, i think we have more important positions lacking a great deal more then 9 and 13.
We need to fix our centres, our Fullback, and front row depth.
For all that Hunt offers more in creativity at 9, he also lacks alot of what Cam brings.
Cams defence is top notch, the guy never stops.
Hunt cruises alot throughout games we dont need that at 9.
Theres pros and cons with all scenarios.
I agree with what your saying , but if we don't strengthen in those areas as you say and the team is as it is yea then I would be making the move , McInnes will still be able to tackle his heart out .....

Como Connection

First Grade
yes and to be robbed by Manson?..in the GF in the 1st half giving Ridge that play on.
He reffed my GF when playing public service comp in the Domain in 91..we won!.
Irrigation was our PS team years ago, blue with a yellow V.
Who did you play for?
CC

BLM01

First Grade
Irrigation was our PS team years ago, blue with a yellow V.
Who did you play for?
CC
Westpac.. (2nd div) and Qantas weekends (1st div)...and you guessed it...Westpac wore the Big Red V and Dragons gear ;)..Qantas were similar but had the red bands around the jersey
I remember your colours but not your team name as Irrigation?
But it became a white and blue collar competiiton with the NSW Police, Fire Brigade, State & Reserve bank + us only major banks, Futures Xchange, Garden Island, Qantas, Water Board, Public Works just to name a few off the top of my head..plenty others just cant remember names

Last edited:

Jersey No 14

Juniors
1st - I would throw our dignity at the feet of The NRL and pleed to have Flanagan reinstated.
or we are just F#cked!!!!
If we paly again this season I'd use Frizel and a mind numing battering ram. And if if her doesn't, end him to park footy and let them beat him up.
He's no good otherwise to us.
Piss Norman off - a great pretender. - Thought Mitchel Moses was Parra's problem - I stand corrected.
Give Hunt a good scare - send the boys around to have a little chat as to why he's earning our money under false pretense.
Williame Keep
Saab - Gone.
Lomax - he's already lean't a lesson or 2 this year.
Jonstone is a good idea - Proceed
Fifita - No! - we need to build a team - We've wasted far too much money on individuals.
Sims bros - Both are away from career ending injuries

We really need to build - We are facing down the barrel of a entire Club / Community / ClusterF#ck.

Como Connection

First Grade
Westpac.. (2nd div) and Qantas weekends (1st div)...and you guessed it...Westpac wore the Big Red V and Dragons gear ;)..Qantas were similar but had the red bands around the jersey
I remember your colours but not your team name as Irrigation?
But it became a white and blue collar competiiton with the NSW Police, Fire Brigade, State & Reserve bank + us only major banks, Futures Xchange, Garden Island, Qantas, Water Board, Public Works just to name a few off the top of my head..plenty others just cant remember names
Water Resources the name was changed to.
CC

Parko1310

Juniors
With Aitken, Lafai, Frizell, JDB, Graham and possibly someone like Ravalawa leaving at the end of this season, we have plenty of cash to spend. I don’t see us doing much damage in the 2021 season, however after that we can let go of overpaid players like Corey Norman on top of this, meaning that 2022, if recruitment is done correctly, could be a good year. This would be my team for 2022 (assuming Shane Flanagan takes over as coach):
  1. Cody Ramsey
  2. Jason Saab
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Josh Addo-Carr
  6. Kyle Flanagan
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Tom Flegler
  9. Cameron McInnes
  10. Paul Vaughn
  11. Jackson Ford
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Cameron Murray
  14. Tristan Sailor
  15. Eddie Blacker
  16. Blake Lawrie
  17. Josh Curran

possm

Coach
With Aitken, Lafai, Frizell, JDB, Graham and possibly someone like Ravalawa leaving at the end of this season, we have plenty of cash to spend. I don’t see us doing much damage in the 2021 season, however after that we can let go of overpaid players like Corey Norman on top of this, meaning that 2022, if recruitment is done correctly, could be a good year. This would be my team for 2022 (assuming Shane Flanagan takes over as coach):
  1. Cody Ramsey
  2. Jason Saab
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Josh Addo-Carr
  6. Kyle Flanagan
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Tom Flegler
  9. Cameron McInnes
  10. Paul Vaughn
  11. Jackson Ford
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Cameron Murray
  14. Tristan Sailor
  15. Eddie Blacker
  16. Blake Lawrie
  17. Josh Curran
We woould not have the cap to afford the above mentioned team:

1. Lomax
2. Ramsey
3. Suli - replaces Aitken
4. Williame - replaces Lafai
5. Saab
6. Flanagan - replaces Norman
7. Clune - replaces Hunt
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. D Fifita - replaces Frizell
12. T Sims
13. Murray - replaces De Belin

14. Lawrie
15. Blacker - junior upgrade
16. Flegler - junior upgrade
17. Ford

Losing Hunt, Norman, Frizell, De Belin, Lafai, Aitken, Graham, Sailor, Ravalawa and Pereira should save close to 5m on today's standards. More than enough to bring in new recruits Suli, Flanagan, Fifita and Murray and promote youngsters Clune and Flegler into first grade.

Players for CC Cup mainly to be manned by promising juniors e.g. Dufty, Shiller, Host, Feagai brothers, H Lomax ect.

Last edited:

Father Ted

First Grade

1. Lomax
2. Ramsey
5. Saab
7. Clune - replaces Hunt
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
12. T Sims

14. Lawrie
17. Ford

Losing Hunt, Norman, Frizell, De Belin, Lafai, Aitken, Graham, Sailor, Ravalawa and Pereira should save close to 5m on today's standards. More than enough to bring in new recruits Suli, Flanagan, Fifita and Murray and promote youngsters Clune and Flegler into first grade.

Players for CC Cup mainly to be manned by promising juniors e.g. Dufty, Shiller, Host, Feagai brothers, H Lomax ect.
I can't see us getting Suli, Flanagan , Murray or Fifita. I went to my first Saints game 58 years ago and I'm not sure I would want to play for this wandering mob of lost marsupials . Fix all the people above the players , then look at the players after that.

possm

Coach
I can't see us getting Suli, Flanagan , Murray or Fifita. I went to my first Saints game 58 years ago and I'm not sure I would want to play for this wandering mob of lost marsupials . Fix all the people above the players , then look at the players after that.
Yes, I think that most of us old buggers feel the same. I place my faith in Mary being given his marching orders at the end of 2020 and a Flanagan / Sheppard first grade coaching team being installed. Of course this would depend on our new CEO convincing the NRL to lift the ban on Flanagan a year early.

I believe tha, once this occurs, I am sure players will have a different attitude.

Father Ted

First Grade
Yes, I think that most of us old buggers feel the same. I place my faith in Mary being given his marching orders at the end of 2020 and a Flanagan / Sheppard first grade coaching team being installed. Of course this would depend on our new CEO convincing the NRL to lift the ban on Flanagan a year early.

I believe tha, once this occurs, I am sure players will have a different attitude.
The people that fire Mary are the same people that hired Mary and extended Mary. Mary is a chess piece thats gets sacrificed when the heat gets too hot.. In reality they should fire themselves .. Like that's going to happen..The Dragon's jobs for the boys is as iconic as the Red Vee itself..

redv13

Bench

1. Lomax
2. Ramsey
5. Saab
7. Clune - replaces Hunt
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
12. T Sims

14. Lawrie
17. Ford

Possum it’s easy to punch out team list after team list which is wishful thinking. Guys like Hunt and Norman for example are on contract and big coin. To replace them we need someone to firstly agree to take them and secondly agree on the $$$. It’s not as simple as replace x with y. Bloody hell Millward you stuffed up again.....

Walpole

Juniors
Love these teams where people have just quietly slipped David Fifita or Cameron Murray into them.

Dream on guys, dream on.

1. James Tedesco...