What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

insert.pause

First Grade
If you believe more than 10% of Nine's statement, for which they couldn't even put a name to, then you're more gullible than I ever imagined.
Yep, it’s straight out of the newscorp playbook. They should never have been allowed to merge with Fairfax.

T-Boon

Coach
It's true but would it have been so hard to consult with them?

Just more incompetence from an organisation with no idea.

They have been talking about this plan for 2 weeks. I feel like the NRL have consulted with ME over it. So Nine knew about it, if they didn't pick up the phone maybe they are poorly run as well.
For the record: I sent an application into the NRL to be on the Project Apollo committee. They rejected it but they did say they love my ideas and are thinking about the viper position.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Kerry Packer said:
You only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime, and I've had mine.

Kerry Packer on the business deal that saw Bond buy the Channel 9 network for $1.05 billion in 1987 and sell it back to Packer for $250 million three years later.

LINK

Valheru

Coach
If you believe more than 10% of Nine's statement, for which they couldn't even put a name to, then you're more gullible than I ever imagined.

This coming from someone who believed every word the NRL says and defends them on every issue.

undertaker

Coach
If the NRL gets rid of Ch9, they also must get rid of this 7:30pm kick-off time for the NRL Grand Final. I know the days of the good old 3pm kickoff where people are accustomed to their BBQ and beers will never return, but a 7:30pm start is way too late. Ideally I'd like to see the 5:30pm twilight (2008-12) kickoff return as a compromise, but kick-off should be no later than 6:30-7pm.

Ch9 have always pushed the boundaries as far as they could ever since they got the tv rights when Packer was still alive, like the 43 minute highlights package of their Sunday arvo match circa 1992-96, and in recent years State of Origin kicking off at close to 8:25pm so they can fit more ads in. So sick and tired of how many compromises the NRL has made just to accommodate Ch9's preferences. Never have seen a so-called professional sporting organisation being bullied by a tv network. The NRL have got to wrestle the power back just like they did with the draw in the current tv rights deal (although there's still more room for improvement in this area, and there needs to be a more even distribution of FTA matches, as certain "pet favourites" of Ch9 monopolize the majority of FTA slots)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ch9 really sticking the boot in now. Come on ch10 nows your opportunity. Let’s see how Nine go without a major sport.

Valheru

Coach
Suck a covid infested schlong channel 9 - won’t be long before generations use services like kayo et al and your only product will be MAFS. merkins.

I see this as a bit of a myth.

The bread and butter of any sporting competition is still TV rights, American sports are proof of that. They all have advanced streaming services that they own and sell world wide yet they protect their TV rights vehemently to the point they black out the streaming services in local markets.

If the NRL don't want 9 anymore, their most financially sound alternative is channel 7 or 10.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sooking... taking every advantage they can over a poorly run business. And quite frankly, pointing out the obvious and the truth.

Smart.

Greenberg literally spent 10k on cam smiths wife not long ago. The merkin is a joke, the game can’t afford to survive a few months after billions of dollars have been injected since the commission took over. Dave Smith was spending money and expanding HQ for the same results. They waste money like there is no tomorrow. It’s no suprise Greenmerkin came into the organisation and continued and increased the ridiculous spending.

out of interest which bit of the nrl’s strategy don’t you agree with?
1. Massive increase to grass roots funding
2. Massive Investment in club viability by increasing grant
3. Investment in keeping players in game by raising cap
4. Investment in revenue generating events
5. Future proofing and increasing revenue through major investment n digital platform
6. Investment in women’s game leading to biggest jump in participation in this group
7. Investment in aligning nrl and touch
8. Investment in internationals in this hemisphere

easy to fling sht so what would you have not spent on?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This coming from someone who believed every word the NRL says and defends them on every issue.
Oh you actually need proof?

They claimed in their statement, which they refused to actually put a name to ("spokesperson"), that the clubs were among the thing being left behind for a "bloated administation".

You only need to view the 2019 Annual Report to see how f**king obvious it is that the clubs have done the best out of anyone in the last ten years. If they can't get that right, or treat the game they claim to be "the home of" right, then their statement belongs in the bin.

The fact you blindly go against everything they say and do is just as laughable.

Timmah

Staff member
out of interest which bit of the nrl’s strategy don’t you agree with?
1. Massive increase to grass roots funding
2. Massive Investment in club viability by increasing grant
3. Investment in keeping players in game by raising cap
4. Investment in revenue generating events
5. Future proofing and increasing revenue through major investment n digital platform
6. Investment in women’s game leading to biggest jump in participation in this group
7. Investment in aligning nrl and touch
8. Investment in internationals in this hemisphere

easy to fling sht so what would you have not spent on?
Careful, you'll be labelled a sycophant.

Timmah

Staff member
I see this as a bit of a myth.

The bread and butter of any sporting competition is still TV rights, American sports are proof of that. They all have advanced streaming services that they own and sell world wide yet they protect their TV rights vehemently to the point they black out the streaming services in local markets.

If the NRL don't want 9 anymore, their most financially sound alternative is channel 7 or 10.
"financially sound"?

https://www.channelnews.com.au/former-boss-of-channel-ten-takes-home-205m-as-hours-cut-at-network/

As the CBS Viacom owned Channel Ten TV network was telling broadcast and operational staff in Australia that they had to move to a nine day fortnight because of the financial impact of COVID-19 (coronavirus) it was revealed that former network boss Joe Ianniello had been given a whopping A$205 million golden exit parachute as the Coronavirus epidemic was taking hold in the USA.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...take-20-per-cent-pay-cut-20200401-p54g17.html

Seven West Media is slashing staff salaries and has warned that job cuts are inevitable as the COVID-19 pandemic hits the advertising market.

Chief executive James Warburton told staff on Wednesday afternoon that full-time employees earning between $80,000 and $200,000 per annum would need to work four-day weeks and take a 20 per cent pay cut until the end of the financial year.

Valheru

Coach
"financially sound"?

https://www.channelnews.com.au/former-boss-of-channel-ten-takes-home-205m-as-hours-cut-at-network/

As the CBS Viacom owned Channel Ten TV network was telling broadcast and operational staff in Australia that they had to move to a nine day fortnight because of the financial impact of COVID-19 (coronavirus) it was revealed that former network boss Joe Ianniello had been given a whopping A$205 million golden exit parachute as the Coronavirus epidemic was taking hold in the USA.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...take-20-per-cent-pay-cut-20200401-p54g17.html

Seven West Media is slashing staff salaries and has warned that job cuts are inevitable as the COVID-19 pandemic hits the advertising market.

Chief executive James Warburton told staff on Wednesday afternoon that full-time employees earning between $80,000 and $200,000 per annum would need to work four-day weeks and take a 20 per cent pay cut until the end of the financial year.

Financially sound as in how much money they will receive.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm no financial expert, but I'm wondering if the clubs are doing their dosh on hiring grounds from councils, and security for these grounds.
I read that the Sharks, (we own our own ground) need a crowd of 13000 odd to break even.
How much are the clubs paying to councils to hire their grounds for each game? And how much the security companies are fleecing the clubs. These things must hurt the clubs big time too.

hbf park costs around $80-100k a game to hire inc security depending on expected crowd

big hit!

Bench
Have 9 thought this through ?

There is still a contract albeit one in which both parties are currently in breach. Questionable as to what the legal ramifications and the rights and wrongs of that is.

Its obvious 9 thinks that they can either a) get rights for vastly reduced sum or b) move away from the contract with the intention to cite the NRL is in breach.

But there may well be a third option. Publicly coming out with statements saying they want to renegotiate is not a smart thing to do. Just the mere suggestion of a willingness to not comply with a contract is enough to actually put that party in breach of the contract.

That could well mean an open the door for other broadcast parties and 9 lose their incumbent advantage.

Surely 9 are in breach of their contract by writing off the NRL the way they have. Ch10 should sweep in if they have the financial clout to do so. What other programs do 10 actually have? My TV is never on their channels.

Ch9 have treated rugby league like garbage and have only hung in there for the payday of SOO and Friday night footy.

Their football 'analysis' shows and the 'talent' they have to drive them are absolute garbage. It's the reason the sport is still considered bogan and thuggish. I remember Thurston was explaining good ball in attack and 4-man in defence, you know, basic rugby league terms used by teams and players at all levels. Johns pipes in, this is live on air, that they - as in the audience - will not understand what he's talking about. Seriously! The network has had the game for nearly 30 years, assume we're all tactically illiterate, and have done nothing to educate the general viewer in 3 decades of 'investment' in the game!

They can f**k right off!

TheVelourFog

First Grade
They have been talking about this plan for 2 weeks. I feel like the NRL have consulted with ME over it. So Nine knew about it, if they didn't pick up the phone maybe they are poorly run as well.
For the record: I sent an application into the NRL to be on the Project Apollo committee. They rejected it but they did say they love my ideas and are thinking about the viper position.

did you send them the video of you eating shit

Latest posts