What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 5 Prelim Finals

Reflector

Juniors
Thank you for the comedy in these dark times.

There were lucky to have been 10k knights fans on either occassion.

Watching that video of the 2000 prelim on the previous page and claiming there are only 10k Knights fans there is definitely comedy.

Valheru

Coach
Watching that video of the 2000 prelim on the previous page and claiming there are only 10k Knights fans there is definitely comedy.

Yes that's how you tell a crowd, the video.

You're right, there was way more than 10k, i was hoping for a bite.

Those were the days the team who had the week off had a full week to buy tickets before the opponent was known which is famously the reason for saints way outnumbering wests in 05.

2013 though? 10k knights fans is generous.

Last edited:

Reflector

Juniors
Yes that's how you tell a crowd, the video.

You're right, there was way more than 10k, i was hoping for a bite.

Those were the days the team who had the week off had a full week to buy tickets before the opponent was known which is famously the reason for saints way outnumbering wests in 05.

2013 though? 10k knights fans is generous.

I was at neither game and talking specifically about 2000. You'd have to argue with the Knights fans and other neutrals there in 2013 about the split of rival fans

GongPanther

Referee
In 1990, the Panthers beat a Broncos team chock full of talent 26-16 in the Major Prelim.

Then we beat a multi-talented team, Canberra 30-12 in the Major-semi. Needless to say, I thought we peaked too early in that finals series and we got done by the Raiders in the GF.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Yeah, nah, no arguments for either occasion. There was more Roosters fans in 2000 and shitloads more in 2013.

The dullards just lap up Rabs verbal diarrhea of, "UhhHHH! The Knights fans have brought 200 buses down! UgHhghgHHh it's the biggest armada since the Battle of Trafalgar! oOoghHgghhh!!"

horrie hastings

First Grade
I remember on TV, Knights fans drowned out the "home" Roosters fans and (from the looks of it) out-numbered them by a scale of 4-1.

I wonder- was this the night the Roosters bandwagon was born?

Its funny, i remember being at the game then heard about the Knights fans out numbered the Roosters fans, i remember it being pretty close to a 50/50 split, maybe Newcastle ahead by a smidge but it wasn't 4-1.

horrie hastings

First Grade
1980 Easts vs West at the SCG

West probably went in as slight favourites but virtually shit themselves when they ran out on the field, Easts blew them off the field and West just sank in a hole, 8 tries to the Roosters in a devastating 41-5 performance, just a shame it didn't carry over to the Grand Final the following week.

TheFrog

Coach
In 1990, the Panthers beat a Broncos team chock full of talent 26-16 in the Major Prelim.
I'll wager Kevin Walters still has visions of Brad Izzard coming at him like a Mack truck in this game. 24-2 at half time, and would have been 30 if Fittler didn't butcher a try just after half time. Peter Peters described it as "slaughter".

It was the Broncos first ever finals match (they lost a playoff the previous year) and it was also the Panthers first ever win in a finals match.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yeah, nah, no arguments for either occasion. There was more Roosters fans in 2000 and shitloads more in 2013.

The dullards just lap up Rabs verbal diarrhea of, "UhhHHH! The Knights fans have brought 200 buses down! UgHhghgHHh it's the biggest armada since the Battle of Trafalgar! oOoghHgghhh!!"

In the end how many coaches did Sid Foggs ending up sending down? think it amounted to 33 [ but could be wrong] , if it was 33 that amounts to just over 2000 spectators, cant be sure of how many coaches again but for some reason 33 sticks in my head,even it was double that it would add up to under 5,000.
I still remember Filthy Ralph from the Chookpen who was around the Berowra at the time went down to the main road with huge Roosters flags greeting the coaches going back to Newcastle that night.

mozza91

Coach
Thank you for the comedy in these dark times.

There were lucky to have been 10k knights fans on either occassion.
I was there. The Knights fans pretty much filled an entire side of the ground and the other side was a lot emptier. Over a Hundred buses went down.
It would’ve been about 60% Knights 40% Roosters.
The noise pregame was insane. Can’t speak for the 2000 one though.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
I was there. The Knights fans pretty much filled an entire side of the ground and the other side was a lot emptier. Over a Hundred buses went down.

I was also there and what you are saying is just not true.

Knights fans filled half of one side, that being the southern half of the eastern side. That area finished about the 40m line, from there north all roosters. The other side, vast majority roosters.

There was 38k there so not sure how you suppose the other side was a lot emptier.

I do appreciate sitting in the middle of that knights area probably made it feel like you had more but it wasn't even close TBH.

I was at the Dragons vs Knights semi at the SFS in 92. Was a full stadium, and the Knights had pretty much both the east n west side to themselves. I was in a crammed pocket of Dragons fans in the South West corner.

It appeared the Knights had at least 80% of the crowd. The atmosphere was intense, the noise level was Immense. Until the final Siren, and it was our pocket that was where the noise was coming from, the rest of the crowd was silent.

We’d won 3-2. As tense a game as I’ve ever watched live.

Sidd Fogg would have made a fortune that day. And fair play to the knights fans, was then I realised what a fantastic fan base they had, and still do to this day.

mozza91

Coach
I was also there and what you are saying is just not true.

Knights fans filled half of one side, that being the southern half of the eastern side. That area finished about the 40m line, from there north all roosters. The other side, vast majority roosters.

There was 38k there so not sure how you suppose the other side was a lot emptier.

I do appreciate sitting in the middle of that knights area probably made it feel like you had more but it wasn't even close TBH.
That could be true.

I went for a walk across and it was definitely more than half the side of the ground filled with Knights fans though.

anjado

Juniors
Penrith vs Canberra (1990) - Penrith won 30-12 after extra time a massively tight affair during the 80 minutes Penrith blew Canberra away in extra-time.

Canterbury vs Canberra (1994) - I haven't seen this game mentioned but it's arguably the best one Canterbury won 19-18 in a classic game.

Balmain vs Souths (1989) - Big game atmosphere and a cracking game.

Manly vs Easts (1987) - Another awesome game Manly just got home in the end.

St George vs Illawarra (1992) - 4-0 It's a shame this is the closest Illawarra ever got but another highly tense game.

NRL era

Canterbury vs Parramatta (1998)
Tigers vs Dragons (2005)
Parramatta vs Canterbury (2009)

1 2018 Easts defeat Souffs. Roosters were missing Latrell and Big Papi. All week souffs fans were strutting around, believing that they were destined for a grand final. Then in one of the greatest, gutsiest defensive efforts, the Roosters kept souffs tryless to eliminate the arch rivals. Gets bonus points for Cooper's bravery

2 2000 Easts defeat Newcastle. Unbelievable comeback, one of Freddy's best games, our first grand final in 20 years and the sight of Joey chucking his mouth guard. Classic!

3 2002 Easts defeat Brisbane. A prelim for the ages. Roosters prove too good for Bennett and his star studded broncos. Classic armwrestle of a match.

4 2019 Easts defeat Melbourne. The true Grand final. A bit like 2002. Two Heavyweights fighting it out. Wow

5 2004 Easts defeat North
Queensland. Cowboys riding the wave of public support, everybody hating on the Roosters. A classic good v evil, David v Goliath storyline. And right at the end it looked like the cowboys would produce the ultimate upset ... But the Roosters hang on to win. Lol

You got the two forgotten ones I was going to mention. I have us against the Broncos in 2002 & the Cowboys in 2004 & watched both DVD’s last week. The Cowboys match is especially intense, it still gets me edgy watching it these days.