What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you eating right now?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Yes i have never been able to work out the waffles and pancakes for breakfast, as you say they aren't a big thing in Australia and the idea of them covered in syrupy sweet sauce just doesn't compute with me. Back in the 80s i had a Sunbeam sandwich maker which you could swap the plates and make waffles, made them a few times and they were nice, only needed some ice cream and as you mentioned some fresh berries, a nice desert but not for breakfast. When i was growing up french toast was only bread dipped in egg and milk and fried up for breakfast with maybe just a bit of pepper added, imagine my horror one day going to a cafe for breakfast and they had french toast covered in strawberries and syrup, ugggh.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about a sweet breakfast when I'm traveling in the States and we're swinging by a diner. A stack of pancakes covered in berries and flavoured syrup is one of my favourite guilty pleasures.

I'm with you on French Toast, though. I grew up with it as a savoury breakfast food that my brothers and I would dip in tomato sauce. I do like it as a sweet food (especially with some crispy bacon), but my American wife is horrified that we would eat it savoury.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Don't get me wrong, I'm all about a sweet breakfast when I'm traveling in the States and we're swinging by a diner. A stack of pancakes covered in berries and flavoured syrup is one of my favourite guilty pleasures.

I'm with you on French Toast, though. I grew up with it as a savoury breakfast food that my brothers and I would dip in tomato sauce. I do like it as a sweet food (especially with some crispy bacon), but my American wife is horrified that we would eat it savoury.

Apart from sugar laden cereals back in the late 60s my fondest memories of breakfast were of French toast done savoury style and also black pudding. My ideal breakfast would be like some of the European countries with the breads meats and cheeses, I found I could travel around better on them than any thing sweet, having said that If I go any where in Australia and have a buffet breakfast if they have Coco Pops, I will always start out with them.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Apart from sugar laden cereals back in the late 60s my fondest memories of breakfast were of French toast done savoury style and also black pudding. My ideal breakfast would be like some of the European countries with the breads meats and cheeses, I found I could travel around better on them than any thing sweet, having said that If I go any where in Australia and have a buffet breakfast if they have Coco Pops, I will always start out with them.

I quite like a good old Full English with black pudding on the side, but man are they heavy. After a week in the UK, it felt positively slimming to do espresso and pastry as my only breakfast in Italy.

I think I miss Chinese breakfasts the most. I love a good jianbing (savoury pancake with various stuff inside). So good.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I quite like a good old Full English with black pudding on the side, but man are they heavy. After a week in the UK, it felt positively slimming to do espresso and pastry as my only breakfast in Italy.

I think I miss Chinese breakfasts the most. I love a good jianbing (savoury pancake with various stuff inside). So good.

It's like most buffet breakfast here in Australia, I am over them by the 2nd day because I don't get the chance to eat so much in one sitting . With the European breakfasts I like the meat cheese and bread because you can just graze on it, sometimes with hard boiled egg or two, do agree with you about a full on English breakfast ( or Irish or Scottish for that matter) it can be so heavy but I do love black pudding.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Just had roast chicken with roast potatoes, sweet potato, parsnip, carrot and peas with gravy , yummy.

Before that had cheese with fig and mandarine chutney, artichoke , caper berries and baby onions and crackers

horrie hastings

First Grade

If I could i would eat a yum cha style breakfast just about every second day. One of the most impressive breakfast buffets I have ever seen in the world was when I stayed in Sitges in Spain back in 2011, it had plenty of the usual breakfast staples but had other things like curries, amuse bouche, whole salmon and other whole fish and unlimited bloody Mary's and cava ( sparkling ) and it went till noon so it was very handy after a big night out. Booked again this year so it will be interesting if it is as good 9 years on.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Just ordered mac & cheese from a fancy local restaurant.

Why do restaurants try to reinvent the wheel with comfort food? There are so many breadcrumbs in this thing that it feels like congealed cheesy tofu.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Just ordered mac & cheese from a fancy local restaurant.

Why do restaurants try to reinvent the wheel with comfort food? There are so many breadcrumbs in this thing that it feels like congealed cheesy tofu.
f**k paying for restaurant Mac and cheese full stop. I’ve got a recipe for an epic three cheese baked version that doesn’t f**k with the basic idea of it and is super easy and cheap to make. It’s a pretty awesome comfort food.

Misanthrope

Staff member
f**k paying for restaurant Mac and cheese full stop. I’ve got a recipe for an epic three cheese baked version that doesn’t f**k with the basic idea of it and is super easy and cheap to make. It’s a pretty awesome comfort food.

You can't make bold claims like this and then not share the recipe.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You can't make bold claims like this and then not share the recipe.

Here ya go- all from memory so sorry if I got it wrong, haha

Half pack macaroni
2 cups milk
Cup grated cheese (tasty/vintage whatever)
1/3 a pack (4 slices) of orange plastic smoky flavoured processed cheese singles
Half an onion chopped
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
Half tsp mustard powder
spoonful crushed garlic
Half tsp black pepper
Breadcrumbs
Grated Parmesan
Chopped bacon

cook pasta as per normal
Melt butter
Fro onion in butter til clear, add mustard and pepper, then stir in flour
Add milk slowly and stir until you get a slightly thickened white sauce (not too thick though)
Add grated cheese and cheese singles, stir until melted and combined. Sauce should still be liquid, roughly the consistency of cream.
Put cooked pasta in a baking dish, tip sauce over it, o should just cover the pasta. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan, a bit more grated cheddar and chopped bacon. Bake in oven til top is nice and crusty and brown.

the trick is not to get the sauce too thick to start with as it’ll thicken a bit while baking. The processed cheese gives it a really good gooey consistency and flavour that’s just total redneck diner trash food in a good way if you get what I mean.
When it cools in the fridge it will firm up up so that you can cut it into squares and it’s tasty af cold too.

makes enough for 2-4 serves depending on your appetite, just double it all for a bigger batch

Latest posts