What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Richo for NRL CEO!!!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think you have to ask yourself if you liked his vision for the game, first. I didn’t and still don’t. Template jerseys, kicking clubs out or merging/relocating them with scant disregard for the fans involved. Lack of understanding of tribalism. Killed any chance of a genuine derby in Brisbane. His version of the game was corporate and sterile.

- template jerseys weren’t mandatory. Clubs just couldnt use the ARL designs (copyrights)
- actually the original blueprint did consider fans. Dropping Sydney teams was necessary, but they wanted to give fans a stake in the new clubs. The war is what made it brutal
- i think they realised that club tribalism is overrated and easily recreated.
- yep, not wanting Bris2 was the biggest mistake here

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think I’ve discussed this with you before but your memory may be a little faulty on this issue as you were back in Bradford or whatever your hometown was at that time..

It had nothing to do with “smarts”...They had no other choice but to commit to Packer as Channel 10 the contracted TV rights holders at the time went bust and Channel 7 weren’t interested...

The ARL had to sell the FTA rights to Packer, but they didnt have to throw in the PayTV for free...

There is definitely a pattern forming:
- ARL give away PayTv rights for nothing.
- ARL sign all clubs to 1 year licenses meaning they can all walk away for a better offer
- the ARL add 4 expansion teams without cutting an existing team making the 1998-2000 culling and bloodletting inevitably regardless of SL

Its almost as if the ARL people were massively incompetent.....

But no need to go back 25 years to find fault..

I blame your man Smith for bloating the admin costs and introducing the caviar and champagne lifestyle to running the game..

Hahah, ok. 9 suburban Sydney clubs sucking away a collective $120mil (not even mentioning the useless lumps at NSWRL) are all find.

But DSmith putting $20mil into HQ salaries, studies and planning is what is killing us.

(Really, i think the average NRL fan would be a Trump supporter. “I dont trust dem smart people with all their fancy numbers and studies. I only trust real people who go with their gut and use common sense”)

BuffaloRules

Coach
The ARL had to sell the FTA rights to Packer, but they didnt have to throw in the PayTV for free...

)

Packer was the only offer they had and he demanded the Pay TV rights as welll.,

What should they have done instead? Not had any TV coverage?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Hahah, ok. 9 suburban Sydney clubs sucking away a collective $120mil (not even mentioning the useless lumps at NSWRL) are all find.

But DSmith putting $20mil into HQ salaries, studies and planning is what is killing us.

You realise that most of the money given to the “clubs” actually gets paid to the players right?

I will never get the love for Smith..

What was his legacy again?

What did that money spent on “planning and studies” lead to?

Last edited:

Latest posts