What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Spot On

Coach
I'm not saying it's better, not even remotely claiming that strawman.

I'm saying the broadcasters have actively worked to prevent crowd friendly scheduling, and now they suddenly claim it's a big issue?

Give it a rest.

This isn't going away Canary.

stryker

First Grade
The fact is, that you are too simple to grasp that this is a cynical ploy to gain control and save $$ by a broadcaster with no stake in our game.
There opinion counts for nothing, they either honour their contract or face the consequences. (The same ultimatum they gave the game)
You are wrong, your opinion is incorrect and you are extremely naive. You dont know what you are talking about.
THEY ARE A MAJOR STAKEHOLDER!!!
Your opinion mirrors how the NRL thinks and its why they have no money.

greenBV4

Bench
So gathering with more than 2 people in public is against the law because of covid19, yet a large group of men on a field is fine.. ok
Public is the important word there, many workplaces are still operating, I drove past 5 tradies huddled around a single man-hole yesterday

Its social distancing which means not meeting up in groups socially, "essential" (which seems to be a very loose term) work is still allowed, If the NRL is to go ahead it would be the same as any other workplace still open, players dont go into the stadium to meet up socially and play some backyard footy, it's their workplace

Usain Bolt

Bench
Truth is Ch9 rely on ad money, every company in Australia is struggling so there isn’t the extra income to advertise and buy all this ad space during games
anymore

stryker

First Grade
Public is the important word there, many workplaces are still operating, I drove past 5 tradies huddled around a single man-hole yesterday

Its social distancing which means not meeting up in groups socially, "essential" (which seems to be a very loose term) work is still allowed, If the NRL is to go ahead it would be the same as any other workplace still open, players dont go into the stadium to meet up socially and play some backyard footy, it's their workplace
They wouldnt be able to use the changerooms under the current laws.

Smack

Coach

fair point

Nerd

Bench
Bullshit.

Claiming the TV rights have less value without crowds is hilariously hypocritical.

Broadcasters have scheduled the game for years, with nothing but contempt for crowds, and now suddenly it's a big issue?

Get f**ked.
That's the best comment yet. All bluff and bluster from 9 and they know that if they lose the NRL they are in serious trouble.

Really, can you name one League fan you’ve ever met who would switch off Origin if the stands were empty?

You’re right about league fans of course but crowds do add to the spectacle, which is pretty important when trying to get casuals on board and increase viewership. Didn’t the TV ratings drop during round 2 when they were expected to increase with fans forced to stay home?

just to make it clear, I don’t think this is a reasonable excuse for nine to weasel out of a deal.

Last edited:

Nerd

Bench
Agreed. Those who say the broadcasters are not stakeholders and have no say in this are f**kEN MORONS.
Obviously that includes you.
Besides whatever arguments you want to have about "stakeholders" Nine have for years scheduled games to suit themselves with little regard to how this would affect crowds (Thursday night games or Broncos on every Friday night when Saturday or Sunday games would mean much larger crowds) so for them to complain that no crowds has a bearing on their coverage is a bit rich.

If my team played every game before zero crowds I would still watch every game as I do now. We all understand that advertising has dropped off because of the lockdowns and that there would be some negotiations about how much they pay for this years games BUT for Nine to suggest that this will lead to write downs for following years is just them trying to reduce their deal for more profit on their part.

If Nine want to break their contract and renegotiate on terms for following years than surely that gives the NRL the right to throw these years back onto the open market or more likely play games on a different broadcaster while suing Nine for breach of contract?

With "stakeholders" like Nine who needs enemies.