What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

The difference for "Dragons" is that it aligns closer to the animal logos (even if it is mythical). There is human element that needs to be justified, just "here is a blank canvas that we will build our brand on".

The human characters, on the other hand, have established cultural value that the clubs is therefore associated with. Mostly within the NRL, this has been done well

- "Warriors" perfectly match the Maori culture of NZ
- "Raiders" are the outsiders invading and raiding cities. Perfect for Canberra, one of the first non-Sydney clubs.
- "Storm", same as "Raiders", storming the capital
- "Steelers", working-class guys from the Steel city
- "Knights", basically a metaphorical blend of "Steelers" and "Warriors"
- "Cowboys", represents rural culture and taming the "Broncos"

But what the f*ck are greek "Titans" meant to represent about GC culture?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

That is a stretch Mr. Fantastic would be proud of with the Raiders :joy:

I think (not certain), Newcastle were named the Knights because of the area’s name (castle, knight).

I like the '97
' SL USA jersey looks sweet

gorden-tallis-in-action-v-usa-three-years-later-he-captained-australia-against-russia-e1507021882561.jpeg

It’s just the same horizontal stripes Souths have been using since 1908?

Nuke

Staff member

I think (not certain), Newcastle were named the Knights because of the area’s name (castle, knight).

In a 1992 book about how the Newcastle Knights came to be ('Our Town, Our Team: The Story Of The Newcastle Knights'), it says that the Knights name was chosen because they are the men of steel, and that suited both the town and the toughness the team wanted to embody.

I think the 'castle' part of Newcastle surely would have also played a part in the decision too though.

In a 1992 book about how the Newcastle Knights came to be ('Our Town, Our Team: The Story Of The Newcastle Knights'), it says that the Knights name was chosen because they are the men of steel, and that suited both the town and the toughness the team wanted to embody.

I think the 'castle' part of Newcastle surely would have also played a part in the decision too though.

Well there you go. Thanks.

Nuke

Staff member
It also says Brisbane wanted red and blue as their colours (as supposedly their thought process was that those colours added together made maroon), but they were causing all sorts of problems and whingeing to NSWRL headquarters about a number of things, so when Newcastle submitted their request for name and colours, Arko approved it, and told Brisbane that Newcastle beat 'em to it.

Red and blue, incidentally, was chosen for Newcastle because it's the colours of the first school in Newcastle. MUCH better than the official colours of Newcastle which is cinnamon and green!!

It also says Brisbane wanted red and blue as their colours (as supposedly their thought process was that those colours added together made maroon), but they were causing all sorts of problems and whingeing to NSWRL headquarters about a number of things, so when Newcastle submitted their request for name and colours, Arko approved it, and told Brisbane that Newcastle beat 'em to it.

Red and blue, incidentally, was chosen for Newcastle because it's the colours of the first school in Newcastle. MUCH better than the official colours of Newcastle which is cinnamon and green!!

Yes, I have heard about the cinnamon & green. Yeeessh, LOL.

Supposedly blue & gold are the city colours of Brisbane, & were consequently also proposed.

DeeJ

Bench
Yes, I have heard about the cinnamon & green. Yeeessh, LOL.

Supposedly blue & gold are the city colours of Brisbane, & were consequently also proposed.

Yup. This is the logo of Brisbane city council.

53f59a9c42fa25dd

And the flag:

580px-Flag_of_Brisbane.svg.png

I'm glad they went with maroon. There's enough blue and yellow teams and I'm sure it would morph into navy over time.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Haha, a team in a small regional city joining a comp from the Big Smoke. They want to steal the trophy and take it home.

You might even say that they were “Raiding” the Sydney comp....

Having a few angles to the name is good.

But primarily, it is about the “man of steel” working class thing.

IIRC Newcastle wanted to use Steelers when they were first offered entry, but Illawarra got in first

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yup. This is the logo of Brisbane city council.

53f59a9c42fa25dd

And the flag:

580px-Flag_of_Brisbane.svg.png

I'm glad they went with maroon. There's enough blue and yellow teams and I'm sure it would morph into navy over time.

Canberra colours are also Yellow-Blue...

Imaging how shit this comp would look if every did a “Titans” and just used city colours without thinking how dumb that was

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yawn.

1. Titans are not competing with other Titan brands in the world. What an joke. Do you wake up and think “I’m going to start supporting a team called the Bears today” and then google image every “Bears logo” and then opt to support Moscow Bears basketball team
In the Russian comp because you like their logo the best? Actually, you probably do. Nevermind.
Ironically that is pretty much how I picked the NS Bears as my favorite team when I was a kid, in fact that is how a lot of people pick their favorite teams.

Go out and ask a bunch of people what their favorite team is and why, for every one that says they follow their team because their family follows it, it's the local team, or whatever, you'll get a handful that say they follow their team because they liked the tiger or green is their favorite colour.

And despite your protest we do live in a global market and everybody is competing with each other. That's why big American and European competitions are eating up market share across the world and why our economy is taking a nose dive because China is struggling.
2. You asked “Why would it be a disaster for them to change their colours? Just because you say so!?”
- yes, I’m not sure if you are able to distinguish statements that are opinion from fact, but clearly since we are talking about a hypothetical, my statement is an opinion that the Titans need brand stability. For a town that has encountered Giants/Seagulls/Chargers/Titans, each with completely different colours/logos/jerseys, in my opinion stability on the core branding elements is key.
So it's not just because you says so and you do have a rational for your opinion, you believe that 'stability on the core branding elements is key', yet we know that isn't true (to the standard that you are holding at least) because we can bring up millions of examples of brands that have changed their 'core branding elements' constantly without any major negative effects. In fact that is how most brands evolve.
3. I don’t give a frig if the helmet as an accurate depiction of ancient mythology. My point is that your argument it should be changed because of historical inaccuracies is ludicrous given every Titans club in the world uses the same imagery. But I guess you’re smarter than them
That is a total misrepresentation of the argument...

Nobody is arguing that the Titans brand should be changed because it's historically inaccurate, they are arguing that the Titans brand is unimaginative crap that needs an update, and that one unintrusive way that you could achieve that and create something unique and interesting would be to make the logo design a more accurate depiction of a titan.
4. using the panthers and Warriors as examples? Seriously. Two clubs who are by FAR the most criticized on this forum for lack of a consistent brand, two clubs who’s constant colour changes have been the source of a decade of unanimous derision? Wow.
The most criticized on this forum that is an echo chamber made up mainly of people that know precisely dick about marketing or branding, that spend all of their time repeating their own opinions back to each other...
5. no problem with a logo update. Current one is tacky. but changing to some bearded shirtless Greek god Zeus character is not what I would do.
Why not?

You personally may not like it, but it'd be relatively unique imagery that makes sense within the context of their brand, that also literally meets your standard of not changing a core branding element, and if well executed could be pretty cool.

It's probably not what I'd do either, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't work.

Besides the Storms' lighting bolt throwing god, that is extremely reminiscent of Zeus, seems pretty popular to me. If mythological god imagery wasn't successful then their brand would be a failure, and I don't think that any sensible person would argue that the Storms brand is a failure.
Anyway, you two can continue this all you want. The Titans won’t change to teal. And they won’t change to Zeus. Because the ideas suck. Sorry about that. Happy Easter!
I agree that the Titans probably won't change their brand in any meaningful way, but people probably won't stop drinking, smoking, and eating to much junk food, and you probably won't stop fighting straw men either, but that doesn't change the fact that those things probably should change!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Canberra colours are also Yellow-Blue...

Imaging how shit this comp would look if every did a “Titans” and just used city colours without thinking how dumb that was
Well back in the day the NSWRL had to approve a brand before a team could use it, and they wouldn't allow new teams to take brands that were too similar to preexisting ones, that's why all of the expansion clubs of the 80s-90s were relatively unique from other brands in the competition, it's also why you got some weird and wonderful colours and unique jersey designs.

However if Les McIntyre had got his way the Raiders probably would have look like this-
Queanbeyan-Blues-Munroe.jpg

ComradePanda

Juniors
When were the Chargers ever sponsored by Westfield? I only remember Chandlers and Home Hardware.

They werent, which makes that jersey all the more interesting.

ive never been able to track down exactly why it was made, but i believe its a sponsor prototype or thank you gift. i need to check if its got the normal sponsor underneath.

but it could just be something someones knocked together themselves, i doubt ill ever get an answer about it

kdalymc

Bench
If expansion ever happens, and that team has blue on their jersey, I'll cut my own dick off and eat it, than watch AFL.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think GD nailed all of the responces except to this on...

4. using the panthers and Warriors as examples? Seriously. Two clubs who are by FAR the most criticized on this forum for lack of a consistent brand, two clubs who’s constant colour changes have been the source of a decade of unanimous derision? Wow.

Regardless of the criticisms of their colour changes, no one has accused them of being a failed franchise in the sense of the GC Giants/Chargers/etc.

Pretending a slightly different jumper is equal to a club collapsing is rubbish.

Also, most critics will point to how random
And inconsistent their colours/branding is within a single year

Panthers at one point had
- home = black, blue collar, and a rainbow of sponsors.
- away = pink.
- Training gold = gold.
- Heritage = licorice all sorts.
Since they have gone to their licorice allsorts full time across all club branding, i have only hear good things about their branding.

(Warriors have also been pretty good since going back to the Aukland colours, but they still get pretty crazy with a few designs)

But regardless of all of this, both clubs have a strong core brand and recognizable colours. The Titans have neither of these

Reflector

Juniors
I think GD nailed all of the responces except to this on...

Regardless of the criticisms of their colour changes, no one has accused them of being a failed franchise in the sense of the GC Giants/Chargers/etc.

Pretending a slightly different jumper is equal to a club collapsing is rubbish.

Also, most critics will point to how random
And inconsistent their colours/branding is within a single year

Panthers at one point had
- home = black, blue collar, and a rainbow of sponsors.
- away = pink.
- Training gold = gold.
- Heritage = licorice all sorts.
Since they have gone to their licorice allsorts full time across all club branding, i have only hear good things about their branding.

(Warriors have also been pretty good since going back to the Aukland colours, but they still get pretty crazy with a few designs)

But regardless of all of this, both clubs have a strong core brand and recognizable colours. The Titans have neither of these

Panthers had a few colour changes before their 1991 introduction of the lotto colours, but what helps is that they didn't have a history of success with the previous colour schemes. The lotto look is iconic because its' unique, colourful without being garish and it's also synonymous with Penrith becoming champions.

It's for this reason I found Parramatta reverting to their 50's and 60's style jerseys an odd move- that jersey design was from a period where Parra were mostly rubbish (including 5 straight spoons). Sure it's traditional, but hardly a tradition of excellence. Conversely, going back to the '86 design is a much better move because that jersey brings back memories of their last Premiership and Price + Cronin going out as champions.

Titans have no history of success to draw from, so if they changed their colours up nobody is going to miss them.

Craegus

Juniors
Brisbane Bombers

OwGXcJ8nrUHJyoHWL6ge0nIOLXGPv6INb85OQu4nZwkuMT02Z7_8canenU_7hoqrASJCdExzBnZzwOz17pOmO03WqPUOKxzIpKkV7GXdJIZG5VR--c4l34sGBrH94S0=w384-h384

Geez that is a throwback.

Can't remember when (well before I watermarked/placed my logo on or near the design) or even why I made that design.

Edit: Actually found the date, I designed that all the way back in July 2011.

Saint Doc

Coach
Geez that is a throwback.

Can't remember when (well before I watermarked/placed my logo on or near the design) or even why I made that design.

Edit: Actually found the date, I designed that all the way back in July 2011.

Nice work. I presumed it was an official mockup. I know they have used navy in their logo so just did a google image search to see if there were any jerseys floating around out there.

Latest posts