What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What ya cooking/baking?

jim_57

Staff member
What's for dinner/lunch/breakfast/dessert?

Thought I'd necromance this thread instead of making a new one. Most people seem to have more time inside, anyone else using the time to try some new recipes or whip up some old favorites?

This weekend I have a few favorites on the menu then trying 'Vietnamese Caramel Pork' Sunday night.
Vietnamese-Caramel-Pork_-2.jpg

Few others from recent times or on the plan: S&P Squid, Laksa, Chilli Grilled Flathead, Japanese Katsu Curry w/rice, slow cooked Korean Beef.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I've recently put together a pretty awesome Mexican meal.

Basmati rice, ground beef (or turkey), jalapenos, peppers, onion, black beans, and cheese all baked together. Crumble corn chips over the tip and drizzle with salsa and queso. It's f**king bomb.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Coconut crumbed prawns which Mrs Horrie made, a native lime marmalade on side and also a fig and mandarin chutney.

!cid_7cffdd00-15c1-49d7-be23-8595166c704b.jpg

Then tomato chilli mussells which i made but forgot to take the pic so only have the left over shells.

!cid_978c5a6d-0075-4685-91cb-2e2e46ca22e8.jpg

Bazal

Post Whore
A beef pot roast in onion and mushroom red wine gravy....with baked potatoes, roasted beetroot and pumpkin.

jim_57

Staff member
'Shrimp Po Boy' for lunch. Quite a few variations between recipes so keen to work on this one, hard job.

images

Photo lifted from the recipe, I always forget to take crappy photos of my own cooking.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Damn, how did i miss this thread until now? I'm a pretty avid cook though definitely no Masterchef. I'm also a shift worker so I'm a big meal prepper, really helps keeping my diet decent when I'm eating different meals at work at various times. One thing about the current social restrictions is it gives me even more time to cook than normal.

Tonight I threw together a Texas chilli, nice easy comfort dish that reheats and freezes well. Beef mince, gravy beef, onions, capsicum, celery and a tin each of beans and tomatoes, plus a lot of spices and a can of beer. Into the oven for 3 hours in my Aldi enamelled dutch oven (seriously if you don't own one of these get one next time theyre on sale, best $25 you'll ever spend on kitchen stuff. Does the job of the fancy $300 French ones at less than 10% of the price and they last forever, I've had mine for 8 years now.) Could cook it on the stovetop too but I find doing it in the oven produces a better result with a thicker sauce and more tender meat. I guess its because the heat is hitting it evenly from every side.

I wont actually eat it til tomorrow (this kinda stuff is always better reheated the next day), and I'll make a batch of skillet cornbread to have fresh with it.

Excuse my crappy food photography, I'm more into cooking and eating than photographing it :p

223A92E4-4E0C-4D86-9106-0B913D0DE92F.jpeg

Expect me to bore the shit out of you all with plenty more food posts, haha.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'm also kinda ramen obsessed, and a big fan of Japanese food in general. I love the way its so efficient (you end up wasting nothing) and how so many elements are things you can make then add into dishes easily later. This is the shoyu ramen I made last night, with 20 hour sous vide pork shoulder chashu, marinated half-boiled egg and pickled shiitake mushrooms. Best thing about it is once I've made all the elements and have them in the fridge I can chuck a meal of this together in under ten minutes flat, and it holds up to what you'll get in the best ramen shops in Sydney.

6831025D-5A9C-46ED-89DE-5A144AEC7607.jpeg

jim_57

Staff member
Damn, how did i miss this thread until now? I'm a pretty avid cook though definitely no Masterchef. I'm also a shift worker so I'm a big meal prepper, really helps keeping my diet decent when I'm eating different meals at work at various times. One thing about the current social restrictions is it gives me even more time to cook than normal.

I was surprised I had to revive a thread with a last post from over 7 years ago, food/cooking being such a universal topic.

I'm a shift worker too so whatever I make I will make enough for leftovers whereever possible.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'm a shift worker too so whatever I make I will make enough for leftovers wherever possible.

Unless its something like grilled meat which needs to be eaten fresh off the hotplate I rarely ever cook less than 3 or 4 portions of anything. I've got a cupboard full of takeaway containers that I save and reuse for taking food to work in, or just for freezing for when I cant be bothered cooking that night!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
This man knows! So many people are like "gravy beef AND mince? Why?"

Gave mum a batch a few years back and she made pasties out of the left overs. I tried it next time I made some and they're great. Great for a microwave snack/quick lunch.

hell yeah man! I’ll quite often do a 3 way mix with pork shoulder too (I usually freeze trimmings to use in stuff like this later if I’m making chashu or pulled pork or something that involves cooking a big slab whole) , but didn’t have any handy so just went all beef this time. Always the cheap cuts too, 3 star mince (I brown the mince first and use the rendered fat to brown the meat and veges, no added oil necessary) and either chuck or gravy beef, takes at least 2-3 hours to cook but so much better when the connective tissue breaks down and the meat gets that fall-apart consistency.

actually I’ll go as far as saying I hate premium mince, when I was self isolating a mate bought me shopping and got premium because there was no regular mince, it had the consistency of sawdust. Needs a bit of fat to lubricate the dish.

AJB1102

First Grade
hell yeah man! I’ll quite often do a 3 way mix with pork shoulder too (I usually freeze trimmings to use in stuff like this later if I’m making chashu or pulled pork or something that involves cooking a big slab whole) , but didn’t have any handy so just went all beef this time. Always the cheap cuts too, 3 star mince (I brown the mince first and use the rendered fat to brown the meat and veges, no added oil necessary) and either chuck or gravy beef, takes at least 2-3 hours to cook but so much better when the connective tissue breaks down and the meat gets that fall-apart consistency.

Have not tried with pork. Thinking a hock cooked with the beans (not canned) would be pretty f**ken good. Hold some hock & bean stock to cook rice & black beans.

I make my own "taco" seasoning and season the mince with that, cook off, then brown up the chuck, then veggies fry in that. I blend up a tin of chipotles in adobo and add with the tinned beans and tomatoes.

I wack it all in the slow cooker for 6-8hrs and like you eat the next day. Anything with stewed tomatoes is better tomorrow.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Have not tried with pork. Thinking a hock cooked with the beans (not canned) would be pretty f**ken good. Hold some hock & bean stock to cook rice & black beans.

that’d be pretty awesome alright. I often do my beans from scratch (would normall use pinto or black beans in a chilli) but had a can of kidney beans handy and no dried ones so I just whacked that in this time. Pro tip if using canned beans- don’t add any salt or salty things like stock cubes, and when you chuck the beans in thrown the whole tin in without draining it, brine and all. Then taste test it for saltiness and add salt if still necessary. Lots of f good bean flavour and thickening in that brine that you don’t want to waste :)

AJB1102

First Grade
that’d be pretty awesome alright. I often do my beans from scratch (would normall use pinto or black beans in a chilli) but had a can of kidney beans handy and no dried ones so I just whacked that in this time. Pro tip if using canned beans- don’t add any salt or salty things like stock cubes, and when you chuck the beans in thrown the whole tin in without draining it, brine and all. Then taste test it for saltiness and add salt if still necessary. Lots of f good bean flavour and thickening in that brine that you don’t want to waste :)

Never add salt to a slow cooked dish apart from initial seasoning, especially when adding canned stuff. And f**k yeah the bean juice is good!

Latest posts