What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What ya cooking/baking?

Misanthrope

Staff member
My wife made banana egg pancakes for breakfast. Solid healthy alternative to regular pancakes.

I'm busting out spaghetti & meatballs tonight. We had a cook until recently but had to let her go due to COVID-19 basically halting our income. Going to have to get creative to avoid bankrupting myself ordering delivery...

soc123_au

Staff member
Lamb.jpg

I've had some lamb shanks on the go since late last night. Another hour or so & Its time to dig in.

6 shanks tossed in seasoned flour, then brown. Then cook off a red onion, a few cloves of garlic, roughly chopped carrot, zucchini & capsicum. Combine in a big wide saucpan & add 1kg diced fresh tomatoes, 1/2 cup red wine, 1 cup beefstock. Cook on as low as you can for at least 12 hours. At the end add some chopped basil, oregano & salt & pepper. Serve with mashed spuds.

soc123_au

Staff member
Damn, how did i miss this thread until now? I'm a pretty avid cook though definitely no Masterchef. I'm also a shift worker so I'm a big meal prepper, really helps keeping my diet decent when I'm eating different meals at work at various times. One thing about the current social restrictions is it gives me even more time to cook than normal.

Tonight I threw together a Texas chilli, nice easy comfort dish that reheats and freezes well. Beef mince, gravy beef, onions, capsicum, celery and a tin each of beans and tomatoes, plus a lot of spices and a can of beer. Into the oven for 3 hours in my Aldi enamelled dutch oven (seriously if you don't own one of these get one next time theyre on sale, best $25 you'll ever spend on kitchen stuff. Does the job of the fancy $300 French ones at less than 10% of the price and they last forever, I've had mine for 8 years now.) Could cook it on the stovetop too but I find doing it in the oven produces a better result with a thicker sauce and more tender meat. I guess its because the heat is hitting it evenly from every side.

I wont actually eat it til tomorrow (this kinda stuff is always better reheated the next day), and I'll make a batch of skillet cornbread to have fresh with it.

Excuse my crappy food photography, I'm more into cooking and eating than photographing it :p

View attachment 37547

Expect me to bore the shit out of you all with plenty more food posts, haha.

I want some of this. I imagine it would also make a great pie filling.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I want some of this. I imagine it would also make a great pie filling.

I was thinking exactly the same thing re pies. It’d be awesome I reckon. Actually I reckon ive got 3 or 4 recipes that would make awesome pie filings... pity I’ve got NFI about the pastry side of things, haha. I reckon I need to fix that.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Made a great one-sheet dinner tonight. Spicy German sausage, potato, peppers, black beans, and broccoli with a little oil drizzled over it, spices for flavoring, and then an hour in the oven.

Really good.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Made tuna cannelloni for dinner, a favourite in our house, took a pic which came out lousy and didn't do it justice but the end product got devoured.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Made an amazing Mexican nacho skillet tonight.

Turkey mince, peppers, onions, and garlic browned together. Throw in a cup of uncooked basmati rice and let it crisp up. Add tinned tomatoes and 1.5 cups of water. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Add seasoning, chili peppers, jalapenos etc. and let it cook another 5-10.

When it's all done, grate some cheese, drizzle some queso & salsa, and garnish with corn chips. f**king mint.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Made an amazing Mexican nacho skillet tonight.

Turkey mince, peppers, onions, and garlic browned together. Throw in a cup of uncooked basmati rice and let it crisp up. Add tinned tomatoes and 1.5 cups of water. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Add seasoning, chili peppers, jalapenos etc. and let it cook another 5-10.

When it's all done, grate some cheese, drizzle some queso & salsa, and garnish with corn chips. f**king mint.

Turkey mince is now widely available in Australia and i made a meat loaf out of it once and liked it so much that now i only make it with turkey mince now and not beef.

Bazal

Post Whore
bourguignon is a timeless classic, so much amazing flavour!

One of my faves.

I'm usually torn between doing a bunch of Malay (used to live there) Vietnamese, Italian and classic French cooking.

Although not tonight. Corned beef

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Indian Bajhis, I love these things

163888_0-1266-5478-5478.jpg

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
One of my faves.

I'm usually torn between doing a bunch of Malay (used to live there) Vietnamese, Italian and classic French cooking.

Although not tonight. Corned beef

classic euro dishes are classic for a reason. Made a big pot of Bolognaise ragu the other day (basically spag bol for people who can actually cook). 50/50 beef and veal mince, some bacon, and lots of onion/carrot/celery, cooked slowly in a bit of wine and stock with only a small amount of tomato paste for 2+ hours then a cup or so of milk stirred in. No garlic or herbs apart from one fresh bay leaf. So much flavour stirred into some fresh egg fettucine.

MKEB...

Staff member
classic euro dishes are classic for a reason. Made a big pot of Bolognaise ragu the other day (basically spag bol for people who can actually cook). 50/50 beef and veal mince, some bacon, and lots of onion/carrot/celery, cooked slowly in a bit of wine and stock with only a small amount of tomato paste for 2+ hours then a cup or so of milk stirred in. No garlic or herbs apart from one fresh bay leaf. So much flavour stirred into some fresh egg fettucine.
I did beef Ragu the other day with every thing on your recipe but the celery. I used half a cup of toatato puree and a t\blespoon of tomato paste. But I added oregano and a sprinkling of chilli flakes with the bayleaves. Cooked for 4 hrs.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Baked leatherjackets with lemon garlic potatoes, served with simple green leaves and a couscous , capsicum and pomegranate salad

Last edited:

Latest posts