What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Front-Rower

First Grade
There is no other professional sport in the world that appears as desperate as the NRL to get back on the park.

The good people at Belarus Soccer never stopped their comp. Maybe them and the NRL hierarchy will be dubbed as some sort of pandemic avoidance experts.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-virus-anxiety-and-empty-stands-idUSKCN21T0FP

In all seriousness, it sounds like NRL HQ are trying to justify their jobs for at least the next 6-7 weeks rather than taking the common sense approach.

Perth Red

Post Whore
and given how desperate the NRL are to restart operations, it seems the extra 200m wasn't even enough, or head office are blowing it on catering, entertainment, and per diems. we have to remember that any competition played in neutral venues is basically a competition with little integrity.

There is no other professional sport in the world that appears as desperate as the NRL to get back on the park. Granted, most other Leagues are in the back end of their seasons, and have already received broadcast rights payments for their seasons, and this is significant. I haven't heard (or looked too hard into it either) much about MLB and their approach to this, given their season will be just about wiped out too.

I do agree the NRL should've looked at the Ch10 offer and considered the leverage for scheduling they would've had. $200m less, but perhaps clubs could've made that revenue up for themselves with better scheduling of matches (more day games / no thursday friday 6pm or monday night), better numbers through the gates, and promote more organic sources of revenue rather than relying on gamblers to subsidise a football business. the further we go with the comp admin making sacrifices for broadcasters to make more of the game's quid, the harder it will be to strip it back, if at all possible.

dont fool yourself, afl is looking at a number of options, just they are doing it behind closed doors and not doing the nrl thing of playing it out in the media. F1 are also looking at how they can get back ASAP. Like you said there isn’t many comps that are as early into the season as ours and F1, coupled with Australia’s seemingly unique minimal impact compared to the rest of the world.

unforgiven

Bench
Because it crosses state/National borders. It’s going to need some sort of dispensation from NZ, Victoria and Queensland to allow the players from other places to come in and not be quarantined for 14 days.
The NRL cannot operate in a vacuum. It might be possible to have the NSW teams to play with govt blessing but there are teams in other places that may not be quite so keen.

Players come in and quarantine for 14 days, NSW government has already said they can train together while in quarantine!

tri_colours

Juniors
The only reason this is a debate is because everyone's treating it as an absolute.

It's not. Gladys hasn't "approved anything yet" because this shit is still 45 days away and a shitload can change in that time. Nothing about this is certain at all, they've set a date and they're working toward it. Whether it actually happens, who knows.

I think Gladys, like many of the polly's, are trying to keep there distance in case this thing explodes. Her deputy seems to be right behind this.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The good people at Belarus Soccer never stopped their comp. Maybe them and the NRL hierarchy will be dubbed as some sort of pandemic avoidance experts.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-virus-anxiety-and-empty-stands-idUSKCN21T0FP

In all seriousness, it sounds like NRL HQ are trying to justify their jobs for at least the next 6-7 weeks rather than taking the common sense approach.

their prime minister makes Trump look positively intellectual! He actually came out and said they won’t be isolating in his country or cancelling the football because “it is better to die on your feet than live on your knees”. Wtf is it with that part of Europe and it’s leaders? Lol

seanoff

Juniors
So we are going to treat the players like prisoners for our entertainment??

Leave your homes, family and friends so we can watch you play a game. It’s not just the players either. You’ve got all the staff, trainers, physios, doctors etc all having to be locked down in the one spot. They’re not all on 500k a year. A lot are on min salary and the staff are on way less than that.

Leave your homes, family and friends so we can watch you play a game. It’s not just the players either. You’ve got all the staff, trainers, physios, doctors etc all having to be locked down in the one spot. They’re not all on 500k a year. A lot are on min salary and the staff are on way less than that.

It’s not ideal but they’ve been given an opportunity to do paid work. Desperate times...

BunniesMan

Immortal
It is plainly idiotic to announce an arbitrary return date and then when you're asked about details and plans you say "ummm, i dunno...we'll figure that out." You figure out the plans, the logistics, the legal limitations FIRST. And only then when you are across every detail do you know exactly what date is possible.

Name one person who has said they’ll be forced to participate against their will.

Jesus Christ, get a grip. It’s not a Chinese political prisoner camp.

Perth Red

Post Whore

it’s a one off for a short period of time, hopefully.
Compared to drs, nurses and aged care workers putting their lives on the line for a fraction of the nrl club staff salary I’m not sure it’s that big an impost,

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is plainly idiotic to announce an arbitrary return date and then when you're asked about details and plans you say "ummm, i dunno...we'll figure that out." You figure out the plans, the logistics, the legal limitations FIRST. And only then when you are across every detail do you know exactly what date is possible.

V’landys 101 it would seem. He is a loaded gun and fires off with little thought of consequence. You are quite right, who and why would you announce the start date without the plan and without consulting all the stakeholders? Then again this is the guy who came out and pssed off the WA govt and RL community with a stupid comment a few weeks before a multi million $ NRL event in Perth!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Todd’s finally managed to get out of the box Vlandys had locked him in and done an interview lol

Todd Greenberg says he is disappointed by last week's attack from Channel Nine and insists broadcasters have been included in discussions over the NRL's proposed restart next month.

The NRL will meet with Nine and their other broadcast partners from Tuesday to determine what structure the league will take in 2020.
In a busy week for the NRL, Greenberg also revealed he planned to have discussions with NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard before the Apollo Committee reconvene on Friday.

But he insisted broadcasters had been part of the discussion as the NRL plans for what best suits all parties when the competition resumes on May 28.

"I've heard a couple of times that we have had no consultation with broadcasters. I can tell you categorically that's not true," Greenberg told the Continuous Call Team on Sunday.

"I have met with all three broadcasters in the past two weeks, and that includes Nine, Foxtel and (international rights holder) Sky TV.

"All of them have been in consultation with us the whole way through leading into these Project Apollo meetings and the concept of the structure of the tournament."

Nine's attack came over the what they claimed was a misuse of funds by head office, as well as reported frustration they were not involved in the Project Apollo discussions.

The network have also claimed their television contract had been unfulfilled by the code, and told the stock exchange last week they could save up to $130 million if the NRL was cancelled for 2020.

The scathing appraisal comes at a time when Greenberg's position is under immense pressure, with his contract up at the end of the year.

"I was disappointed in some of those comments that came out from Nine last week," Greenberg said.

"Those discussions I think we should have together behind closed doors.

"The negotiations will get a bit robust and they are already a bit robust.

"What's clear is every business and every business model is under pressure as we are going through this health crisis.

"Revenue is falling in virtually everyone's business. Broadcasters and clubs and players and the game are no different."

Greenberg also defended the game against criticism it was trying to restart too early during the pandemic.

AFL heavyweight Jeff Kennett this weekend claimed the NRL were putting money ahead of player safety in their plans.

"If there are ways you can keep the industry going but ensure the safety of the people in that industry, and the broader public aren't compromised, I think that's a good thing," Greenberg said.

"We won't take any risks along the way (but) I don't think we should be sitting around waiting for someone to tell us when it's right.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-ceo...ms-broadcaster-wasnt-consulted-213359470.html

Cactus

Juniors

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If they picked a date and worked to it behind closed doors, some dickhead journo would manage to get it leaked to them and within minutes the NRL would get hammered for secrecy etc.

franklin2323

Immortal

No one forces them to play. Are welcome to join those huge Centrelink lines if they prefer

AFL desperate to get their comp up and running. Just don't think 2 Adelaide, 2 Perth, 2 Sydney and 2 Brisbane teams want to play out of Melbourne...which, correct me if I'm wrong, seems to be worse off in this situation than Sydney/NSW.

franklin2323

Immortal

You don’t think those employees without work would now feel better that there is confirmation of the game returning?

Latest posts