What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brandy's Top 17 Panthers

Whino

Bench
I was at the game. It was truly amazing to witness what Ashurst did that day, or should I say in that last 20 old minutes (my recollection is our five converted tries were all scored in the last 20 minutes). I could be wrong given it was 45 years ago but I seem to recall he scored from one of his trademark chip over the top and regather tries that day. The whole Mick Stephenson v Bill Ashurst feud was sad, particularly given one gave 110% for the club and the other more talented gave when he felt like it. Mick Stephenson remains one of my all time favourite players in so much as he gave everything he had even when his body (chronic back issues) was failing him. For the older fans amongst us they would fondly remember Mick Stephenson had to wear a women’s corset just to support his back to get onto the field. The medical science and physio was not quite so good back in those days.

Thanks, I like hearing about the players I never saw but have read good things about.
Mike Stephenson was before my time but after reading Bound for Glory many years ago he would have been someone if I saw play I would have liked.

Kilkenny

Coach
I remember Gower giving none other than Andrew Johns a bath at Newcastle in 2003. It is a disgrace that he has never received his Dally M medal for that year.

I vaguely recall the awards being cancelled due to the on-going pay dispute between NRL & players. Was it ever officially confirmed Craig Gower would have won the top award? My memory is not that good.

panther.mike

Juniors
I remember thinking that Mike Stephenson was too good of a player for the panthers , he thought plays ahead of everyone else so we didn,t know what to do next. [ a la the king]. Kelly showed the Panthers what real football toughness was, so did Mortimer. I love Brandy he was a good leader from the front but Gower could lead from behind.

forby

Juniors
His time with us was only short and from my recollection he took off unannounced part of the way through his last season in 1996. If my memory serves me correctly the St George game was in his second season with us in 1975 when the Dragons made the GF but were beaten by the Roosters 38-0 which is more remembered for Changa Langlands wearing white boots that day.
That seems to be right. Henry Tatana flattened Stephenson in the first half and he was replaced. It was 19-0 with 19 minutes to go. 25 points from 5 tries, 4 conversions and a 50m penalty goal from a kick off out on the full. It was a magical day!

Whino

Bench
I vaguely recall the awards being cancelled due to the on-going pay dispute between NRL & players. Was it ever officially confirmed Craig Gower would have won the top award? My memory is not that good.

To qoute David Middleton's yearbook of the 2003 season.

" The cancellation of the Dally M awards in September denied Gower almost certain acclamation as the games official player of the year.
The Sunday Telegraph published the leader board going into the final round of the competition, showing Gower's name as the head of the field. He turned in a five-star performance against Parramatta in the final round and almost certainly would have won the prestigious title.

The only thing I would add, given you mention to word ‘tough’ well they was no tougher than Craig Gower. Gowie had a chronic sternum issue, can quite remember what period, but as the story goes he almost every game required needles injected directly into his sternum to get onto the field. I’m not talking for the odd game I’m sure it was for an extended period season or more. The needles in those days were horse needles and basically had to be hammered directly into the sternum. As the legend has it some of his team mates had to leave the dressing room it was so distressing to witness or hear. Different style of player to Greg Alexander but a true great none the less even given his indiscretion at the charity golf day.

That period was 2003. I remember the sternum padding he would wear. Stuck out like dogs balls.

The fact that he had needles before every game is worthy of him being THE toughest player to play for us. I can’t imagine what sort of sight (and pain) that must have been to see a horse needle inserted in your sternum :cold_sweat:

What was even more amazing about Gower’s 2003 season was that he played almost every minute of every game that year. The only time he had off was about 3-5 minutes towards the end of the game versus the Sharks at Shark Park where we already had the game won at 20-0. I think Preston was the only player in the team to have played every minute that year.

Kilkenny

Coach
That seems to be right. Henry Tatana flattened Stephenson in the first half and he was replaced. It was 19-0 with 19 minutes to go. 25 points from 5 tries, 4 conversions and a 50m penalty goal from a kick off out on the full. It was a magical day!

I commend your memory. I don’t recall Stevo having to go off injured but Henry
Tatana there is a name I haven’t heard for a long time. Stevo being replaced was in the era where then were only two players on the bench and once you got replaced you were off for the game. I least I think that was in the system back in those days. Do you recall whether Ashurst scored a try from a chip and regather during that game. That is my recollection but I could be wrong. He scored a few of those tries in his time with us.

Was there not a game, where Bill Ashurst actually punched Mick Stephenson in a scrum during one of our games. It was infamous at the time and it wasn’t an accident!!!!

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
In the conversation around the Stephenson & Ashurst era mid 1970’s I still recall the old ground with fondness even it was rather poor in facilities by modern day standards. The tiny grandstand on the western side!!! I have fond memories of those days, even if there weren’t to many win’s around the memories.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
In the conversation around the Stephenson & Ashurst era mid 1970’s I still recall the old ground with fondness even it was rather poor in facilities by modern day standards. The tiny grandstand on the western side!!! I have fond memories of those days, even if there weren’t to many win’s around the memories.

A bloke I use to drink with told me of a time when you could drive your car into the ground and watch the game from your car.

Kilkenny

Coach
A bloke I use to drink with told me of a time when you could drive your car into the ground and watch the game from your car.

You certainly could at the old Henson Park. I was only 9 in 1970 and can’t recall whether cars could access the ground in those days. Perhaps before they were admitted to the competition?

https://images.app.goo.gl/5xVm1ibXbHnvHeA67

The above photo is aerial from 1970 apparently and it appears to show the western stand being partially built? The two toilet blocks at the southern end and northern end were in existence at that time it would appear and while the amenities have improved they basically remain in there existing locations.

forby

Juniors
You certainly could at the old Henson Park. I was only 9 in 1970 and can’t recall whether cars could access the ground in those days. Perhaps before they were admitted to the competition?

https://images.app.goo.gl/5xVm1ibXbHnvHeA67

The above photo is aerial from 1970 apparently and it appears to show the western stand being partially built? The two toilet blocks at the southern end and northern end were in existence at that time it would appear and while the amenities have improved they basically remain in there existing locations.

That was the original western stand. The roof came later. It is actually still there as part of the current stand.

panther.mike

Juniors
On the other side you could sit [ or stand] to watch the game while your kids slid down the grass on cardboard pieces, all the while Phil walked around with his apron on selling the footie doubles...…..aahhh the good old days. didn.t win many but those we did I loved.

Panther Mick

Juniors
Alan Mcindoe is in our team of the century. What was he like?
Was he fast? a good finisher? good in the air?

Last edited:
Alan Mcindoe is in our team orf the century. What was he like?
Was he fast? a good finisher? good in the air?

He was definitely the first two.

Tremendous speed. He might have been one of the quickest in the League during the late 80s/early 90s. Scored a heap of tries for both us and the Steelers.

I remember a game against Souths in ‘89. The top two teams at that point of the season. McIndoe scores two tries for us. One was a typical McIndoe try where he would burn past tacklers and even put on a fend that Eric Grothe would’ve been proud of. What was impressive about that game was that he came into it with a question mark as he was suffering from an Asthma episode. After he scored his first try, you can see him taking a few puffs out of a ventolin inhaler.

Can’t recall any tries he scored from being in the air. I would assume he was relatively safe.

But he was quick. Very quick.

Panther Mick

Juniors
Thanks, I like hearing about the players I never saw but have read good things about.
Mike Stephenson was before my time but after reading Bound for Glory many years ago he would have been someone if I saw play I would have liked.

I am the same. I like the little stories and opinions on players I never saw.

Panther Mick

Juniors

Tremendous speed. He might have been one of the quickest in the League during the late 80s/early 90s. Scored a heap of tries for both us and the Steelers.

I remember a game against Souths in ‘89. The top two teams at that point of the season. McIndoe scores two tries for us. One was a typical McIndoe try where he would burn past tacklers and even put on a fend that Eric Grothe would’ve been proud of. What was impressive about that game was that he came into it with a question mark as he was suffering from an Asthma episode. After he scored his first try, you can see him taking a few puffs out of a ventolin inhaler.

Can’t recall any tries he scored from being in the air. I would assume he was relatively safe.

Thanks.

Pomoz

Bench

Spot on. Probably the fastest winger we have ever had. I would guess Wesser was faster over 40m and Jennings too, but over 100m he was a flyer. Never did much catching because bombs to the wing were relatively rare in those days. The seven set tackle rule wasn't in place so rather than a kick to the air, many last tackles finished with the ball going dead in goal to reset the defence.

McIndoe had the benefit of playing with Brandy and he was put into space by him many, many times. Brandy had great peripheral vision. It didn't hurt that our two backrowers were good ball players too and many tries were caused by Geyer and Cartwright getting balls away to create a midfield break. If you could get the ball to McIndoe, there were few players in the ARL who were going to run him down once he reached his stride. Happy days. Brandy to Cartwirght, around the corner pass to Izzard and out to the wing for the Emerald Express. Try. Simples.

Last edited: