What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

southsport

First Grade

Rabbits20

Immortal
Media certainty give him a rough time. But there's a lot of Souths fans bagging the hell out of him on social media. My view is they themselves have basically failed in life and take it out on a superstar player. They are supposed to be responsible to the club they support and their players.
Exactly right, even some of our fans have given it to him and aren’t giving him a chance.

Some have short memories re 2011 when GI was transitioning back to fullback the same happened.
From Zero Tackle, this is good to hear from Jai,

Jai Arrow willing to take pay cut to honour Rabbitohs contract

Gold Coast young gun Jai Arrow will honour his South Sydney contract even if it means taking a significant pay cut.

Arrow signed with South Sydney on a deal worth $800,000 per season from 2021. The 24-year old said he will be committed to wearing the red and green hoops even if it means taking a 40 per cent reduction.

The COVID19 pandemic has caused the NRL and clubs to rethink their financial position and budgeting as clubs have been given a $10 million salary cap for next year. However, due to the virus, it could mean that clubs are preparing for a $2 million-$4 million reduction of the cap.

Arrow though knows he is in a very lucky space given the financial position other Australians are currently in.

“If I have to take a pay cut next year because the salary cap goes down to keep the game alive then I’m more than happy to do that – that doesn’t worry me one bit,” he told the Courier Mail.

“I play the game because I love it. I’m very grateful I get paid to do what I love every day.

“There are people losing their jobs, lining up at Centrelink for hours. It’s hard to see. I’m lucky and grateful to still be getting paid, for the time being.

“I signed a contract a while ago and I’ve stuck with it. I’m happy to go.

The NRL players have will receive their paychecks for April and May, but would have to wait until October 31 for their next one, meaning they face a 71 per cent pay cut form now and a 46 per cent pay cut for the financial year.

Given the circumstances that the NRL finds itself in, Arrow knew that at one point they were going get a pay cut.

“We’re not dumb – we all understand we’re going to have to take a pretty hard hit with pay cuts,” he said.

“If that’s what it takes to keep the game alive, then so be it.

“It obviously sucks but we’re not the only ones taking pay cuts. It’s everyone around the whole league and world.

“I don’t know exactly what we’ll have to take. We get two full pays then we’ll know more.

“As long as I can pay my bills and look after myself, then I’m happy.”

Very glad to hear this re Arrow. It’s a position many players will find themselves in.

handyman2190

Bench
Every single player at all clubs will have to take a cut in pay, a percentage will be worked out for all clubs to apply to all contracts.
So 800k may equate to 650k for eg,
I think Latrell and all players will have figured it out,just like Arrow, and they will all need to accept it.

Travitoh

First Grade
Every single player at all clubs will have to take a cut in pay, a percentage will be worked out for all clubs to apply to all contracts.
So 800k may equate to 650k for eg,
I think Latrell and all players will have figured it out,just like Arrow, and they will all need to accept it.

Yep, you're absolutely right.

Though the value of the contracts may not be lower, a 'tax' may be taken out of player salaries by the NRL while revenue is down, similar to escrow in the NBA.

callmack1

Staff member
Saw a headline tonight from the Telegraph that said we've agreed to extend Latrell's contract! Anyone have anymore info or know if it's true?

handyman2190

Bench
Saw a headline tonight from the Telegraph that said we've agreed to extend Latrell's contract! Anyone have anymore info or know if it's true?
Lets hope it is because like i previously said a couple of quotes ago, a percentage will be worked out by the nrl which all clubs will use to rework all player contracts so his 800k deal will go down, no need, as the crap news saying, souths dont want to give him the 800k, latrell knows it,they all know it

Travitoh

First Grade

The article was posted elsewhere last night.

South Sydney have agreed to grant Latrell Mitchell his contract extension, with the final figure to be settled once there is greater clarity on the funds available post the coronavirus pandemic. The two-time premiership-winning former Rooster signed a one-year deal at Souths, but the club has a one-year option for 2021 in their favour. Mitchell’s manager Matt Rose is adamant his star client’s future at Redfern is not in doubt as some reports have suggested. Rose confirmed to The Daily Telegraph that he received a follow-up phone call on Tuesday stating Mitchell’s contract extension remains on track. He maintains nothing has changed following the initial phone call Rose received from Souths 3-4 weeks ago. “They (Souths officials) phoned to say that they will be taking up the option, but they haven’t put the paperwork in yet because of everything going on with the competition shutdown,” Rose said. “They are also waiting because no one can register contracts at the moment.” Rose also stressed he has not reached out to Souths about Mitchell’s extension following the competition shutdown two weeks ago. “Latrell’s extension isn’t a priority at the moment because the game is fighting for its survival,” he said. “We want to be able to play the game first and that is the most important thing right now. “That is why I haven’t made an issue of the extension because there are a lot of things going on in the game now.” Rose also expressed his disappointment about continued false reports over Mitchell’s future. He said the reported extension worth $800,000 is incorrect while he also understood that all NRL players will be forced to take a pay cut during the coronavirus crisis to ensure the league's long-term survival. “I want to make it really clear — the continued stories around Latrell that are made up is really disappointing, especially in the current climate,” he said. “We are hoping to band together to get league back up and running before we worry about contracts and everything else.” Rose confirmed Mitchell was in a positive mood about a possible competition return while training on his family’s farm in Taree on the mid-north NSW coast. He said the Rabbitohs star is also revelling in life as a dad after the birth of his second child, a girl. Mitchell is also working tirelessly on his fitness in a bid to return as strong and aerobically fit as he possibly can for the resumption of the 2020 competition. He is training daily while trying to add variety to his routine with different physical activities and jobs around his family’s property. “He has been doing a lot of training by himself. It is hard to do anything too serious until you get back in the team environment, but hopefully May 28 is the return date so we can all start playing footy again,” Rose said. Mitchell is also determined to silence his critics and prove he can make a successful switch from the centres to fullback. Channel 9 commentator and former Blues and Panthers coach Phil Gould even questioned Mitchell’s desire to play rugby league. “He's not ready to play NRL football the way he is right at the moment and certainly not to play fullback,” Gould said. “I'm worried about Latrell and his football and unless he's mentored in the right way by the right people through this period, it all could all come unravelling over the next 18 months, judging by what I'm seeing now.” It is understood Mitchell is using these words as motivation as he trains during lockdown.

callmack1

Staff member
Yup, absolutely fantastic news about Latrell if that's true!!

Mitchell’s manager clears air on $800k contract saga: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/mi...a/news-story/c753e7243f0dd92d94976af76c70d58f

From the Daily Telegraph,

South Sydney Rabbitohs agree to extend Latrell Mitchell’s contract

Latrell Mitchell has copped it from all angles over a tough six months that have included torrid contract talks, fitness issues and an eventual move to Souths.

South Sydney have agreed to grant Latrell Mitchell his contract extension, with the final figure to be settled once there is greater clarity on the funds available post the coronavirus pandemic.

The two-time premiership-winning former Rooster signed a one-year deal at Souths, but the club has a one-year option for 2021 in their favour.

Mitchell’s manager Matt Rose is adamant his star client’s future at Redfern is not in doubt as some reports have suggested.

Rose confirmed to The Daily Telegraph that he received a follow-up phone call on Tuesday stating Mitchell’s contract extension remains on track.

He maintains nothing has changed following the initial phone call Rose received from Souths 3-4 weeks ago.

“They (Souths officials) phoned to say that they will be taking up the option, but they haven’t put the paperwork in yet because of everything going on with the competition shutdown,” Rose said.

“They are also waiting because no one can register contracts at the moment.”

Rose also stressed he has not reached out to Souths about Mitchell’s extension following the competition shutdown three weeks ago.

“Latrell’s extension isn’t a priority at the moment because the game is fighting for its survival,” he said.

“We want to be able to play the game first and that is the most important thing right now.

“That is why I haven’t made an issue of the extension because there are a lot of things going on in the game now.”

Rose also expressed his disappointment about continued false reports over Mitchell’s future.

He said the reported extension worth $800,000 is incorrect while he also understood that all NRL players will be forced to take a pay cut during the coronavirus crisis to ensure the league's long-term survival.

“I want to make it really clear — the continued stories around Latrell that are made up is really disappointing, especially in the current climate,” he said.

“We are hoping to band together to get league back up and running before we worry about contracts and everything else.”

Rose confirmed Mitchell was in a positive mood about a possible competition return while training on his family’s farm in Taree on the mid-north NSW coast.

He said the Rabbitohs star is also revelling in life as a dad after the birth of his second child, a girl.

Mitchell is also working tirelessly on his fitness in a bid to return as strong and aerobically fit as he possibly can for the resumption of the 2020 competition.

He is training daily while trying to add variety to his routine with different physical activities and jobs around his family’s property.

“He has been doing a lot of training by himself. It is hard to do anything too serious until you get back in the team environment, but hopefully May 28 is the return date so we can all start playing footy again,” Rose said.

Mitchell is also determined to silence his critics and prove he can make a successful switch from the centres to fullback.

Channel 9 commentator and former Blues and Panthers coach Phil Gould even questioned Mitchell’s desire to play rugby league.

“He's not ready to play NRL football the way he is right at the moment and certainly not to play fullback,” Gould said.

“I'm worried about Latrell and his football and unless he's mentored in the right way by the right people through this period, it all could all come unravelling over the next 18 months, judging by what I'm seeing now.”

It is understood Mitchell is using these words as motivation as he trains during lockdown.

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph,

Former State of Origin player Ben Te’o, currently signed to Super Rugby, emerges as hottest target on NRL player market

Former England rugby union star Ben Te’o has emerged as a priority target for NRL clubs as COVID-19 continues to cast a cloud over the future of rugby and the Super Rugby competition.

Amid talk that Quade Cooper could make a switch to the NRL, The Australian understands that Te’o is a more realistic target for rugby league clubs given he has an intimate understanding of the code through his previous stints at the Wests Tigers, Brisbane and Souths.

Te’o has played at inside centres in rugby, but in rugby league he moved between the centres and the backrow.

He played eight years in the NRL before switching codes at the end of 2014, having celebrated a premiership win with the Rabbitohs.

He moved to English rugby union and enjoyed several successful season, playing for the national side under Eddie Jones.
Having departed Europe at the end of the 2019 season, he joined the Sunwolves in the Super Rugby competition but the outbreak of coronavirus forced Super 15 into hibernation after Te’o had made only a handful of appearances for the Japanese club.

He has been in Australia since and the uncertainty over the return of Super Rugby prompted former Brisbane captain Gorden Tallis and Te’o’s ex-teammate Sam Burgess to suggest on Fox League that he would be the perfect signing for an NRL club as the competition braces for a return on May 28..

The Australian understands a handful have already expressed an interest in signing Te’o for the remainder of this season if and when the competition is up and running.

His former clubs Brisbane and Souths would appear the most logical fits given he has previously played with both

Latest posts