What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Quicksilver

Bench
Warriors are getting frustrated.

If May 28 is the date, then George is saying they have to leave NZ for Oz by this Sunday to get the quarantine done, and then hold a mini prep to get ready for games.

George is saying there's a lack of comms from HQ. We like to criticise Ch9, but it seems this is standard from the NRL.

Basically, the Warriors situation is yet another reason the comp can't go ahead.

Nothing against the Warriors, but the season should be able to proceed without them if that's all that is stopping it.

Happy for them to come back next year, or even later in the year if they like.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Too bad there isn’t a good NRL video game. I only just discovered MLB have got a league of The Show (MLB game on PS4) going, with a player representing each team playing against others. I guess their wins and losses go to the team they represent, like in a real season.

Not many well-known/popular players are involved but being a Phillies fan, I’m enjoying watching one of our best in Rhys Hoskins play vs Ranger Joey Gallo. It’s awesome actually, because besides being competitive, you get a great insight into strategy and baseball knowledge these guys have. You don’t usually hear much of this. One of the best moments so far was Rhys batting and down a few runs and riding a long ball home, but just went foul.

Anyway, too bad they couldn’t do this with NRL, but hopefully the season is back in 6 weeks like they plan. Dunno when, if at all MLB is starting their season.

unforgiven

Bench
Too bad there isn’t a good NRL video game. I only just discovered MLB have got a league of The Show (MLB game on PS4) going, with a player representing each team playing against others. I guess their wins and losses go to the team they represent, like in a real season.

Not many well-known/popular players are involved but being a Phillies fan, I’m enjoying watching one of our best in Rhys Hoskins play vs Ranger Joey Gallo. It’s awesome actually, because besides being competitive, you get a great insight into strategy and baseball knowledge these guys have. You don’t usually hear much of this. One of the best moments so far was Rhys batting and down a few runs and riding a long ball home, but just went foul.

Anyway, too bad they couldn’t do this with NRL, but hopefully the season is back in 6 weeks like they plan. Dunno when, if at all MLB is starting their season.
I've been smashing road to the show the last few weeks!

Xcalibre

Juniors
I've been smashing road to the show the last few weeks!

I haven’t played TS ‘19 in a while, besides a couple of conquest games the other day. I haven’t played RTTS. Usually play Diamond Dynasty.

Are you playing’19 or ‘20? I haven’t got ‘20.

unforgiven

Bench
I haven’t played TS ‘19 in a while, besides a couple of conquest games the other day. I haven’t played RTTS. Usually play Diamond Dynasty.

Are you playing’19 or ‘20? I haven’t got ‘20.
Same, I'm still playing 19. I have played different versions of it for years and years. It really is the only game I like the individual player career modes in, but I am up to my 3rd season with my created player and playing in the majors for the Cubs!

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
This is super interesting stuff...

We have never seen the 2 major newspapers go head to head or 9 and Fox so openly fighting.

I guess this should have been expected when 9 took over Fairfax

This is super league Mark 2 , nine vs news .. nrl in the middle . Sooner nrl moves to other platforms and cuts out both cancers the better.

see how the current fight they have all there associated media’s fighting there battles to get what they want from current year . If they were TRUE partners of the game they wouldn’t over the years do there best to constantly slam the game and make clubs and players look bad .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not a fan of this approach tbh. They're arguably making the biggest sacrifices out of everyone to get the game going. I don't think clarity is too much to ask.

I doubt the NRl still has finalised plan, hence why they haven't told them what it is! Of course the logical thing would to have been let the committee work out the preferred plan, commission sign off on it, work with Govt and broadcasters to work out most likely start date. Announce to the world. But no Vlandys wants his name in lights so wheels Pearce out to announce the start date when nothing is in place.

Quicksilver

Bench
Not a fan of this approach tbh. They're arguably making the biggest sacrifices out of everyone to get the game going. I don't think clarity is too much to ask.

They should be given clarity and reasonable help, should it be practical.

But the whole comp shouldn't be stopped from recommencing just because one team can't get here.

It's a no fault situation. It shouldn't be held against them and their place in the comp should be assured when they are able to return.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The only problem with leaving the Warriors out is that it'd mean that the NRL can't deliver their 8 games a round to the broadcasters.

I guess the NRL could try to replace them with a NSW or Qld cup team just for this season.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The only problem with leaving the Warriors out is that it'd mean that the NRL can't deliver their 8 games a round to the broadcasters.

I guess the NRL could try to replace them with a NSW or Qld cup team just for this season.

Awaits the Sydney media "Bring back the Bears" stories!

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Too bad there isn’t a good NRL video game.

Yep, it would have been tailor made for this moment.

Sadly Big Ant wouldn't know how to make the best of limited resources if it meant literally saving their jobs, but then I guess they are being instructed by some focus group idiot who cuddles up way too close to marketing to focus on the presentation (character models lol) rather than the core gameplay, then do everything they can to keep said gameplay mostly ambiguous all the way till launch so the core League fans can't see how much it doesn't look or feel like the actual sport ahead of time.

Like really, I get they are on a limited budget and the Aussie game industry is practically on life support and all that, but RLL4 came out 3 years ago in September. They might be tight on money, but they certainly aren't tight on time clearly, and they still can't work out that people would rather their sports game actually feels like the sport they're playing rather than being satisfied with how detailed Sharon's flowing hair looks in the shiny new engine, but good luck to you if you actually want to play out a genuine feeling game of Rugby League.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I get the impression the negotiations for this commenced back well before the May 28 announcement, so I tend to think of this (especially as is line of credit) as a backup plan.

It seems to be a good deal all round.

- The ARLC get financial security (without being locked into a crazy interest payment) so they cant get screwed in the short-term by the broadcasters
- This financial group has just established a pretty good relationship with a sporting body that turns over $400mil/pa. (and im guessing the ARLC will be grateful and loyal over the coming year. The aussie banks that refused to help are probably gonna lose the ARLCs business when this is all over)

Although now that its public knowledge look at the clubs put their hand out quicker than a Charlie Sheen hooker.

Yep. Clubs get free money, while the ARLC is on the hook for repayments.

Classic RL....

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That is an interesting one because won't a good portion of the money go back to foxtel anyways as that is the medium they use to broadcast?

ESPN is on Disney+ these days.

(NRL would be a brilliant way for Disney+ to dive right into the Aussie market. Like Foxtel did with NRL in the 90s)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Warriors are getting frustrated.

If May 28 is the date, then George is saying they have to leave NZ for Oz by this Sunday to get the quarantine done, and then hold a mini prep to get ready for games.

George is saying there's a lack of comms from HQ. We like to criticise Ch9, but it seems this is standard from the NRL.

Basically, the Warriors situation is yet another reason the comp can't go ahead.

It just sounds like they are looking for something to complain about.....

Why can they train DURING the lockdown? Why cant they train in nz BEFORE they fly over?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
This is super league Mark 2 , nine vs news .. nrl in the middle . Sooner nrl moves to other platforms and cuts out both cancers the better.

see how the current fight they have all there associated media’s fighting there battles to get what they want from current year . If they were TRUE partners of the game they wouldn’t over the years do there best to constantly slam the game and make clubs and players look bad .

The difference this time is that the NRL is in a position of strength.

During SL, the stupid 1 year licences meant the networks could negotiate club-by-club. They carved up RL and took what they liked.

This time, the NRL cannot be split. So the NRL can play these networks against each other (no group bids or network cartels) and the networks need to do some honest bidding.

Latest posts