What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of the game in Qld post pandemic..... Who / what will be affected ?

The Partisan

Rumblings around podcasts and personal chats is that the game from ISC level down will have many challenges.

Listened into a FB conversation from various identities from the Toowoomba RL where concerns over future of a few clubs was raised.

Will the governing bodies of the ARL / QRL have the means to assist clubs across the state ?

For some this may bring extinction but for others it may be opportunity..

Royce is King

Juniors
100% we should fear for some clubs...... I suspected that money was a huge concern when the Q.CUP was called off for the entire yr so early, in Brisbane for e.g. the local A Grade AFL, Rugby Union,and soccer comps are postponed...... not cancelled.

The fact that NRL has called for games to start again in May, makes the Q.CUPS choice even more odd. Maybe this event has shone the light on the fact that the Q.CUP cant support itself financially without the help of the NRL . I think the days of flying teams all over the state ( and PNG ) to play in front of 500 people are gone.

IMO the game might be better off reverting back to the old days...... an 8 - 10 team Brisbane / Gold Coast comp.... and also a Northen Qld comp...... winner of each zone play off in a G.F. ....... the advantages are huge in the fact that crowds would increase automaticaly with the fact that TWO SETS OF FANS COULD ATTEND EVERY GAME.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Thanks sounds good in theory but very few of the clubs have fans who travel in any numbers. Easts supporters aren't aware of life outside of Coorparoo, Norths and Souths sadly would be only able to send a carload each in any case. The Coast teams only ever come with support people and families of the players.

Maybe if the NRL hadn't been wasting a phenomenal amount of money on itself, the next levels could be properly funded and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Queensland Cup isn't exactly "grass roots", it is arguably the third or fourth strongest competition in the World (a very small RL World admittedly). Surely having the Qld/NSW Cup level strong and healthy should be a strategic priority for the game.

Or is the truth that "the game" is just 16 not always well managed clubs and a bloated NRL administration and nothing else matters?

Out of any crisis comes an opportunity and a major overhaul of how the game is administered and how the money is spent is the opportunity now. Unfortunately, my guess is that in five years' time, things will be back as they were before the crisis.

Royce is King

Juniors
I get what your saying... but I think our econemy is going to struggle for at least 10 yrs. I would love to see a brissie comp and i would even bring back a couple of teams.... my comp would be
1.Redcliffe
2.Wynnum
3.Easts
4.Norths
5. Logan Magpies ( BASED AT LOGAN)
6. Ipswich
7. Wests ( BASED AT ARANA)
8. Valleys
9. Burleigh
10. Tweed.

The amount of money saved by keeping games local would be massive, plus the fan bases of iconic Brisbane clubs Valleys and Wests would come to the game. I know this wont happen but the longer this virus is around the more money q.cup does not have.

Browndog78

Juniors
I get what your saying... but I think our econemy is going to struggle for at least 10 yrs. I would love to see a brissie comp and i would even bring back a couple of teams.... my comp would be
1.Redcliffe
2.Wynnum
3.Easts
4.Norths
5. Logan Magpies ( BASED AT LOGAN)
6. Ipswich
7. Wests ( BASED AT ARANA)
8. Valleys
9. Burleigh
10. Tweed.

The amount of money saved by keeping games local would be massive, plus the fan bases of iconic Brisbane clubs Valleys and Wests would come to the game. I know this wont happen but the longer this virus is around the more money q.cup does not have.

I'm with you Royce....I would love to see a return to an old school BRL Comp. It can't be cheap to fly teams to far flung posts as well as PNG. 10 teams, home and away means 18 games, top 4 finals system. And have a Northern League, Central League and maybe a South West League. The premiers of each comp play a finals series to decide the champion of Queensland. For mine, that would be great

expansionist

Juniors
Would not be surprised at all if the 2021 Q Cup comes back with one or 2 less clubs. So many of them do it quite tough as it is!

I had heard a rumour of some small comp being looked at late 2020 - less teams, BNE based, and condenced format. Who knows though!

Royce is King

Juniors
A little Birdie has told me that the Gold Coast is looking at getting Burleigh and Tweed involved full time in the local comp..... all players split up over all local teams..... just a rumor..... but more hope in my eyes for an old school Brisbane comp to become active again in 2021.

I do know for fact that the q.cup was 100% shut down so early for only 1 reason.... Money . No way can I see the Q cup return in its current format.

The Partisan

To reinvigorate interest and perhaps add a different dimension would a regionally based State wide knock out comp be of any benefit in 2021 ? This is for below the ISC.

Split Brisbane into Local council boundaries so Moreton Bay, Logan and Redlands get their own teams. Leave Brisbane as one team.

Then stagger entry into the comp like the Challenge Cup.

Outback / remote locations for 1st round.

Then move towards the coastal / larger populated areas.

Games could double as clashes within existing (e.g 47th Battalion) or historic (e.g. Bulimba Cup / Foley Shield ?) comps so as not create extra workload for the players.

To make it financially viable if continued make it a biannual or triennial event.

Being an old nostalgic fart here but would be great to see Toowoomba v Ipswich again. Don't think they have played each other at top level for years. ( Obviously not including ISC / Qld Cup games here)

The Partisan

Not quite post pandemic but relevant.

Toowoomba Rugby League cans 2020 season for senior grades. Juniors TBA.

Only link I can find is their FB site with video of the 'press conference' and I can't copy in for some reason ?

Don't think this will be the last comp canned in Qld

The Partisan

Wonder if some of these cross - region improvised comps happening..like the Volunteer Cup for Ippy / Toowoomba club teams ....is a precursor to the future ?

Or at the very least a look at what a potential state knock out comp could look like ?

Variety and new opponents would be a shot in the arm for many a competition be it at club or region level.

Artful Dodger

Juniors
Rumours getting around Titans offering Souths an affiliation deal due to Mal’s links to the club.

JB and Co have left the club to coach Easts colts and assist Terry Matterson as new cup coach.

Broncos yet to confirm which cup clubs they will affiliate with hence titans trying to pouch the Logan juniors nursing ground. If they agree, titans will appoint a coach themselves to Souths...

The Partisan

Will be very interesting to see what does happen with the Qld comps.

With all the belt tightening talk going on the possibility of a return to a SEQ comp ... if only for a year or two ... must be getting some discussion time within QRL.

Rumours getting around Titans offering Souths an affiliation deal due to Mal’s links to the club.

JB and Co have left the club to coach Easts colts and assist Terry Matterson as new cup coach.

Broncos yet to confirm which cup clubs they will affiliate with hence titans trying to pouch the Logan juniors nursing ground. If they agree, titans will appoint a coach themselves to Souths...
Logan Magpies, based in Logan, affiliated with Titans. That would actually make sense.

Royce is King

Juniors
No way the powers that be that run Souths will ever support the team playing anywhere other than Davies Park...... I'm not saying its right, its just how they roll.

I've always thought that having the lease at Davies Park was a massive carrot to get councils and govt to get together and help fund moving the team to Logan , and building something that can compete with your Easts and Redcliffe's...... in exchange for the club moving away from 1 of the most desirable bits of real estate in SEQ.

West End has changed heaps in the last 25 yrs....units all over the place, and the support to go down and watch a game is really not happening. IMO the juniors are the answer and you are a way bigger chance to keep them if they can relate to the senior club....... Logan Magpies based 100 % in Logan is the only way they survive.

No way the powers that be that run Souths will ever support the team playing anywhere other than Davies Park...... I'm not saying its right, its just how they roll.

I've always thought that having the lease at Davies Park was a massive carrot to get councils and govt to get together and help fund moving the team to Logan , and building something that can compete with your Easts and Redcliffe's...... in exchange for the club moving away from 1 of the most desirable bits of real estate in SEQ.

West End has changed heaps in the last 25 yrs....units all over the place, and the support to go down and watch a game is really not happening. IMO the juniors are the answer and you are a way bigger chance to keep them if they can relate to the senior club....... Logan Magpies based 100 % in Logan is the only way they survive.
I agree 100% with this.

There's bugger all parking at Davies Park and the facilities are terrible. The eastern terrace is banked but right in line with the setting sun during arvo games, which makes it hard to see the onfield action. The western terrace is flat and has one or two dilapidated bench seats that look like they were around when Wayne Bennett was playing on the wing. The money they get from selling Davies Park would surely be enough to buy Lowe Oval at Springwood and build a state of the art clubhouse and Leagues Club. It would be close to the Lion@Springwood club and right next to the freeway. There's a large olympic sized swimming pool right next to Lowe Oval that the players could use for exercise.

Last edited:

Royce is King

Juniors
The problem is that Souths only lease Davies Park........ its council land..... but the lease still has currency, how much currency is the big question. You are 100% right in your comments in regards to the state of the facilities at Davis Park ..... they are 40 yrs out of date and in no way encourage people to get behind the team and attend a game.

The problem is that Souths only lease Davies Park........ its council land..... but the lease still has currency, how much currency is the big question. You are 100% right in your comments in regards to the state of the facilities at Davis Park ..... they are 40 yrs out of date and in no way encourage people to get behind the team and attend a game.
Logan City Council would probably grant them a larger piece of land at a much lower rate if they relocated permanently to Logan.

I wanted the Magpies to relocate to Cronulla Park at Underwood, but the LCC has gifted that to the Springwood Pumas fumbleball club. Now is the right time for the QRL and Magpies to pressure the local Labor MP, who is Minister for Sports, and the LCC into doing something for our game. Lowe Oval would be the perfect location now that Cronulla Park is taken.

Does anybody know how the comp is looking for next yr?.......Any significant signings or sackings?
Easts are changing their name to Brisbane Tigers, with a new logo.

They are building a new grandstand that will seat 4,000.

They are setting up links with two new estates in Logan's south, Yarrabilba and Flagstone.

Last edited:

Latest posts