What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The only problem with leaving the Warriors out is that it'd mean that the NRL can't deliver their 8 games a round to the broadcasters.

I guess the NRL could try to replace them with a NSW or Qld cup team just for this season.

The most important thing is that the 16th team runs out in the Warriors jersey. Players come and go all the time. The brand/logo/jumper is the important thing.

Fill the team up with NSW Cup/Qld Cup players if you have to (and as many warriors/kiwis as are available). But it NEEDS to be the Warriors jersey

because NZ is in lockdown, and they have to isolate once they get here

And they cant organise an isolated field or a gym?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ch...4-p54jsv.html?js-chunk-not-found-refresh=true

Nine really are treating the NRL with contempt and very publicly. There is some seriously gross and self interested shit in here, including losing one FTA game to Fox for....reasons. They're pissing on us and calling it rain.

Time to seek out 10 and offer them 1.1 billion a year for 4 years and in that time, put plans in place to transition the game onto internet broadcasting in partnership with Netflix or Disney. Nine can take their Tracy Grimnews and their Married at first Shite and their delayed telecasts and f**k off. I hope fatty and Sterling keep their gigs in covering the game elsewhere but the rest you can just cut adrift.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
So the AFL is discussing restarting in the media today, and they are basically copying everything the NRL has floated, and yet the media is tongue punching their fart box.

I’m surprised no outcry that cricket is trying to still play World Cup this year in October ( how can there not be outcry in bring players from overseas whose countries are overrun by the virus and we won’t be able to travel internationally this year and even longer )

would be gold if no cricket World Cup , nine loses rights to 10 and we play full season till October when the World Cup was on , would be a nice big F U to nine

Canard

Immortal
I’m surprised no outcry that cricket is trying to still play World Cup this year in October ( how can there not be outcry in bring players from overseas whose countries are overrun by the virus and we won’t be able to travel internationally this year and even longer )

would be gold if no cricket World Cup , nine loses rights to 10 and we play full season till October when the World Cup was on , would be a nice big F U to nine

There is more chance of @From Where the Sun Rises losing his virginity, than the T20 World Cup happening this year.

Tommy Smith

Referee
So the AFL is discussing restarting in the media today, and they are basically copying everything the NRL has floated, and yet the media is tongue punching their fart box.
The media's cancerous relationship with the NRL is so unique and bizarre that it deserves its own film - preferably as a black comedy directed by the Cohen Brothers.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Yep, I think the NRL should be organising the full 25 round season if they can.

Either 9 broadcast all games and pay up, or thy are in breach and the NRL can jump to 10

Cactus

Juniors
It seems to be a good deal all round.

I agree. Line of credit (LOC) was definitely the right move.

Yep. Clubs get free money, while the ARLC is on the hook for repayments.

I read somewhere cashed up Yanks are looking to buy out teams or even whole leagues....so I do see a risk if we draw down on the LOC to any large degree. Lets hope we dont go down that pathway.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nrl has continually dished out large sums of money to the clubs with no expectations they will improve their business. Will they have the balls this time if they need more money to put some controls on them I wonder?

Johnny88

Juniors
D-Day for the NRL’s broadcast battle

Rugby league’s seemingly bitter broadcasting battle is set to reach a climax before the weekend as the respective heads of the Nine Network and Foxtel prepare to eyeball each other and thrash out plans for the remainder of this season.

Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany and Nine boss Hugh Marks are expected to join ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys at a meeting as early as Thursday, those discussions likely to determine the schedule for 2020 and the amount of money the NRL has to dispense to clubs and players. V’landys will arrive at the meeting safe in the knowledge the game has up to $250 million in their back pocket, albeit in the form of a line of credit from British banks.

From seemingly being in a position of weakness, V’landys and the ARL Commission now occupy a position of strength amid Nine’s protestations over the NRL’s plans to resume on May 28.

The talks have become even more crucial given the developing situation at the Warriors. The New Zealand side was expected to leave Auckland this weekend so they could base themselves in Australia in preparation for a resumption.

However, talks on Wednesday between Warriors officials and NRL powerbrokers — V’landys and NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg were on the call — ended with their departure being delayed pending further talks with the Australian and New Zealand governments.

Fellow clubs had agreed to return to training on May 4 to accommodate the Warriors and ensure all sides resumed on an equal footing. That may now change, although The Australian understands thought has also been given to the Warriors sitting out the opening round when the season resumes.

That would ensure they have an additional week to prepare for playing again. The NRL is expected to create a draw that allows them to make up games as the year progresses, the likelihood that the season will end up being played over as many as 20 regular season rounds.

Greenberg and chief commercial officer Andrew Abdo held talks with Fox Sports chief Peter Campbell and head of television Steve Crawley on Wednesday, where it is understood the pair backed the NRL’s plans to resume the game.

The preferred draw as it stands would result in each team playing each other once before a series of marquee matches are incorporated into another five weeks.

That would give the broadcasters more premium content and alleviate the concerns of clubs who lost games before the season went into hibernation.

The finals would then be played before the grand final was held in late October. While the SCG is scheduled to be out of action on that date due to the T20 cricket World Cup, there has been talk that the tournament could be postponed until next year.

Regardless, there is every chance that crowds will be locked out of venues until next season, meaning the destination for the grand final holds less sway.

Delany and Marks will have a decisive say. While Foxtel has kept their cards close to their chest in recent weeks, the Nine Network has been on the front foot.

In a statement to the stock exchange, they claimed they would save $130 million if rugby league was not played this year. That claim has been interpreted as a preference by Nine for the NRL to place rugby league in cotton wool until next year.

They then publicly chastised the game’s administration, placing Greenberg firmly in the crosshairs. Their final position will hinge on the discussions with V’landys and Delany.

The Warriors are among the clubs waiting on the outcome. Warriors chair Rob Croot and chief executive Cameron George spoke to Greenberg and V’landys on Wednesday and stressed the need to ensure the welfare of the players and the competitive equity when the competition restarts.

Clubs and coaches will hold separate meetings on Friday where the Warriors’ situation is likely to be front and centre.

“We want the Warriors to be part of the 2020 season and we are doing everything we can to not only make that happen but provide the support they need at a family level,” V’landys said.

“It’s important to understand that our aim to restart the competition on May 28 is still six weeks away. We’re not proposing to start the competition next week.

“Accordingly we have ample time to analyse the data and ensure the infection rate is at such a low level there is minimal risk to our players or the community.

“It also gives us time to make all the necessary arrangements for the Warriors.”

Greenberg said the NRL understood the need to address the Warriors’ issues within current government guidelines.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...e/news-story/fe43786079c2c4b72ce7d9df7ca92081

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Get rid of Nine.

Broadcast yourself, let FOX help.

Give CH10 State of Origin.

Nanny state dictates it must be one dead medium channel.

GongPanther

Referee
Get rid of Nine.

Broadcast yourself, let FOX help.

Give CH10 State of Origin.

Nanny state dictates it must be one dead medium channel.
Go it solo. I'll pay $20 per month to have the NRL show games, although this does conflict with the anti-siphoning laws just having it on the one platform so I believe. So yea,having another FTA channel would be great. And can you imagine all the money ch 9 would save? lol!

Someone like channel 10 getting NRL games would be a saving grace for their ailing ratings. They have CBS behind them, so surely that puts the cat amongst the pigeons.

But the most important point here is that I hope the NRL dictate the negotiations, and not get shrink-balls. Tell them it's their fooking way, or the highway.