What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moses Suli

Belta

Juniors
Ryles was top shelf and would have been even better if we had proper support players running off him.
Reddy & Fat Albert were exactly the same as Ryles re offloading ie: looked great when the team was willing to look for the pass but looked ordinary when the people around them were pedestrian.
Ryles with a slippery Morris sniffing around him would have been devastating.

I remember having a conversation recently with someone involved in coaching juniors. He said Ryles was so advanced even as a junior that he couldn’t play a whole game. He had to tell young Ryles that he could only play limited minutes because it was unfair to the other team.

blacksafake

First Grade
I remember having a conversation recently with someone involved in coaching juniors. He said Ryles was so advanced even as a junior that he couldn’t play a whole game. He had to tell young Ryles that he could only play limited minutes because it was unfair to the other team.
He’s now getting a reputation as a future coach because of working under Bellamy. They rate him highly down there.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I believe he played halfback as a junior.

Belta

Juniors
Im pretty sure you are pulling my leg, but I have a good memory and I remember back in the day the commentators would always mention that he used to play 7. He was a great player, a front row of he and Weyman would have been very nice indeed.

Not sure. I’m sure someone would have some information.
The conversation was about the best junior he could remember, I kind of got the impression that Ryles was one of those kids that was very big and very physical at a young age and easily dominated his age group. This is why he could only put Ryles on for short stints otherwise the games too one sided and parents would get upset.

Banjo2014

Juniors
My wife and I spent a lot of time (20 years) in the states - we saw our teams Miami Heat, Yankees and New Orleans Saints succeed and then have a few years off. GIVEN - we have had ten years off at the Dragons.

Bringing in Suli - three clubs - Balmain Canterbury and Manly = GIVEN that Peter Peters suggested 350K is the contract - I don't see value at all. I don't see discipline and I sure as eggs know that he will not succeed under Mary.

Hunt was a bad buy, Norman worse, James Graham - for the life of me I did not understand - let's pull back - withdraw from Suli - have more interaction with the fans and tell them we are in transition - see how our Juniors go and let's go from there.

I remember a long time ago - Bath's Babes - maybe it's time for Bennett's Babe's

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
The only certainty we can take from all this uncertainty is that rumours will increase

According to Peter Peters whom you would think is pretty close to the Manly brainstrust, Des Hasler is not going to pay any more than $350K per year to keep Suli. He claims that SGI have offered Suli a 4 year deal at $600k per year.

After what happened with Frizzell's deal with Newcastle,you could understand Suli's manager seeing the SGI offer for what it is atm- fool's gold. Why bite the Manly hand that is currently feeding you until such time there is some certainty around the salary cap for 2021?.

My understanding from a few sea eagles mates was that Suli could earn up to $500k pa at Manly as he has a $350k base with a serious incentive per game.........which is what he is on now supposedly ?

I heard we are offering $450k pa base plus some incentives........up to $550k pa but who knows??? 3 years with a one year option

possm

Coach
My wife and I spent a lot of time (20 years) in the states - we saw our teams Miami Heat, Yankees and New Orleans Saints succeed and then have a few years off. GIVEN - we have had ten years off at the Dragons.

Bringing in Suli - three clubs - Balmain Canterbury and Manly = GIVEN that Peter Peters suggested 350K is the contract - I don't see value at all. I don't see discipline and I sure as eggs know that he will not succeed under Mary.

Hunt was a bad buy, Norman worse, James Graham - for the life of me I did not understand - let's pull back - withdraw from Suli - have more interaction with the fans and tell them we are in transition - see how our Juniors go and let's go from there.

I remember a long time ago - Bath's Babes - maybe it's time for Bennett's Babe's
Give him overall control of recruitment - Millward can work for him - Bennett will sort out our roster. I like a back 5 of Lomax, Ramsey, Suli, Williame and Saab to start season 2021. Let our young guns, the Feagai brothers, Shiller, Sauni-Esau and others compete for the back 5 positions.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade

Yeah, Bath's Babes were brilliant and they were as follows:-
1977 Grand Final: St George Dragons: 1. Ted Goodwin, 2. Steve Butler, 3. Graham Quinn 4. Robert Finch, 5. John Chapman, 6. Rod McGregor, 17. John Bailey, 8. Bruce Starkey, 9. Steve Edge :copyright:, 10. Craig Young, 11. Robert Stone, 12. John Jansen, 13. Rod Reddy. Interchange 20. Barry Beath. Coach Harry Bath.

1979 Grand Final:

Fullback 1. Brian Johnson 1. Stan Cutler
Wing 2. Mitch Brennan 2. Chris Anderson
Centre 3. Graham Quinn 3. Chris Mortimer
Centre 4. Robert Finch 4. Peter Mortimer
Wing 5. Michel Sorridimi 5. Steve Gearin
Five-Eighth 6. Tony Trudgett 6. Garry Hughes
Halfback 7. Steve Morris 7. Steve Mortimer
Lock 8. Bruce Starkey 8. Greg Cook
Second Row 9. Steve Edge 9. George Peponis (c)
Second Row 10. Craig Young (c) 10. Peter Smith
Front Row 11. George Grant 11. Graeme Hughes
Hooker 12. Graeme Wynn 12. Peter Cassilles
Front Row 13. Rod Reddy 13. Steve Folkes
Bench 16. Steve Butler 14. Mark Hughes
Bench 18. Robert Stone
Coach Harry Bath

Dragon David

First Grade
Yeah, Bath's Babes were brilliant and they were as follows:-
1977 Grand Final: St George Dragons: 1. Ted Goodwin, 2. Steve Butler, 3. Graham Quinn 4. Robert Finch, 5. John Chapman, 6. Rod McGregor, 17. John Bailey, 8. Bruce Starkey, 9. Steve Edge :copyright:, 10. Craig Young, 11. Robert Stone, 12. John Jansen, 13. Rod Reddy. Interchange 20. Barry Beath. Coach Harry Bath.

1979 Grand Final:

Fullback 1. Brian Johnson 1. Stan Cutler
Wing 2. Mitch Brennan 2. Chris Anderson
Centre 3. Graham Quinn 3. Chris Mortimer
Centre 4. Robert Finch 4. Peter Mortimer
Wing 5. Michel Sorridimi 5. Steve Gearin
Five-Eighth 6. Tony Trudgett 6. Garry Hughes
Halfback 7. Steve Morris 7. Steve Mortimer
Lock 8. Bruce Starkey 8. Greg Cook
Second Row 9. Steve Edge 9. George Peponis (c)
Second Row 10. Craig Young (c) 10. Peter Smith
Front Row 11. George Grant 11. Graeme Hughes
Hooker 12. Graeme Wynn 12. Peter Cassilles
Front Row 13. Rod Reddy 13. Steve Folkes
Bench 16. Steve Butler 14. Mark Hughes
Bench 18. Robert Stone
Coach Harry Bath
Sorry fellas, obviously I didn't edit before posting. Other guys are from the Bulldogs.

Harry knew what was needed to win those Grand Finals and the games leading up to them.

It would be nice if we could say Bennett's Babes won the 2021 Grand Final.

denis preston

First Grade
Sorry fellas, obviously I didn't edit before posting. Other guys are from the Bulldogs.

Harry knew what was needed to win those Grand Finals and the games leading up to them.

It would be nice if we could say Bennett's Babes won the 2021 Grand Final.

Didn't Butler play in 79 not 77? Slower than Bertie Gordon.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Change the name of the tread please to something other than Moses Suli if you persist running off the rails.
Don't be so ignorant Boardlumps Dragon supporters continually go off the rails unable to concentrate for long periods and stay focused just like their team.

Dragon David

First Grade
Didn't Butler play in 79 not 77? Slower than Bertie Gordon.
No he was on the wing in 77 and replaced Sorridimi in the 79 GF

"Butler came through the ranks at St George Dragons (S.G. Ball Cup and Jersey Flegg Cup) and was graded in 1976 and played most of the year in the Under 23's.

He won a premiership with St George Dragons in his debut first grade year in 1977 after replacing Tony Graham in the starting line up. He played wing in the 1977 drawn Grand Final and the 1977 Grand Final replay and had a marvelous year under the coaching of Harry Bath.

He played 1978, and was a reserve back in the 1979 Grand Final taking the field late in the match to replace the injured Michael Sorridimi. He retired after the match."