What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder if you locked down any vulnerable person (with support of course) and gave everyone else it if it would resolve quicker? Whilst a lock down wouldn't eradicate it surely it would flatten the curve quite dramatically and that is why other countries have imposed it? Or are our leaders saying spain, china, Italy, france, holland etc are wrong for locking down? Why is there advice different to ours?

Given we have Easter coming up I would have thought a 4 week closure as of next week of most things would have been a good time to help prevent the spread?

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
I wonder if you locked down any vulnerable person (with support of course) and gave everyone else it if it would resolve quicker? Whilst a lock down wouldn't eradicate it surely it would flatten the curve quite dramatically and that is why other countries have imposed it? Or are our leaders saying spain, china, Italy, france, holland etc are wrong for locking down? Why is there advice different to ours?

Given we have Easter coming up I would have thought a 4 week closure as of next week of most things would have been a good time to help prevent the spread?

All the countries mentioned are in 100x worse state than us - their curve far steeper, so to speak.
We're a few weeks ahead of them in taking action.
If we can flatten the curve without total shut down, we should.

If we lockdown now, we'll still need closed borders, limited social and travel until every other country deals with it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yes but unavoidable, They are currently finalising a second stimulus package!

is it though? Better off doing just ripping it off like a bandaid as places like France are currently doing

I believe elsewhere you said you were a teacher? What was the absentee rate this week?

Penrith is like a ghost town.
I work in the CBD same in there

unforgiven

Bench
is it though? Better off doing just ripping it off like a bandaid as places like France are currently doing

I believe elsewhere you said you were a teacher? What was the absentee rate this week?

Penrith is like a ghost town.
I work in the CBD same in there
No ripping off the bandaid will result in double the deaths, absent rate was a little higher this week but will return to normal in the coming weeks. No one is going to keep their kids home for 6 months!

franklin2323

Immortal
No ripping off the bandaid will result in double the deaths, absent rate was a little higher this week but will return to normal in the coming weeks. No one is going to keep their kids home for 6 months!

Most are linking with being picked up overseas. If no overseas travel likely no more cases come into the country. 14 days rest apparently heals so if those with it are locked down. In theory those existing case would recover.

You can then ensure you are prepared to screen better at airports for when you open airports again.

How do you get to that conclusion?

In the last day confirmation of no kids sport until May (soccer planning on mid April).
The Travel warning got upgraded
Then got Indoor venue capacity dropped to 100

If anything it will reinforce those parents decision to keep them home. FTR mine went but I am not a toilet roll holder either

unforgiven

Bench
Most are linking with being picked up overseas. If no overseas travel likely no more cases come into the country. 14 days rest apparently heals so if those with it are locked down. In theory those existing case would recover.

You can then ensure you are prepared to screen better at airports for when you open airports again.

In the last day confirmation of no kids sport until May (soccer planning on mid April).

If anything it will reinforce those parents decision to keep them home. FTR mine went but I am not a toilet roll holder either
Sorry misread your previous post!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

The UK originally planned to do that until they realised it was going to lead to an unavoidable swamping of the medical system and thousands of preventable deaths. The best way to get the level of herd immunity you are talking about without that happening is to slow the spread of the virus to a manageable level until a vaccine arrives.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The cynic in me thinks the 6 month announcement was just put out here to convince people that schools dont need to be closed and that is based on an economic decision rather than a health one? Whenever a politician starts with "could" I get very suspicious of the motivations for even mentioning it!

Perth Red

Post Whore
All the countries mentioned are in 100x worse state than us - their curve far steeper, so to speak.
We're a few weeks ahead of them in taking action.
If we can flatten the curve without total shut down, we should.

If we lockdown now, we'll still need closed borders, limited social and travel until every other country deals with it.

But why wait? They eventually had to lock down, presumably to stop the spread even more, why wait till it gets that big to do it. If we do it now wont it stop it getting to that size in the first place? With SARS I was travelling at the time and they had strict airport checks in most countries, we could do same for a few months after the lock down. I get the sense it is an economic decision rather than a health one?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The UK originally planned to do that until they realised it was going to lead to an unavoidable swamping of the medical system and thousands of preventable deaths. The best way to get the level of herd immunity you are talking about without that happening is to slow the spread of the virus to a manageable level until a vaccine arrives.

They never managed to develop a vaccine for SARS, be interesting to see if they manage it this time and how long it takes.

franklin2323

Immortal
The cynic in me thinks the 6 month announcement was just put out here to convince people that schools dont need to be closed and that is based on an economic decision rather than a health one? Whenever a politician starts with "could" I get very suspicious of the motivations for even mentioning it!

Time will tell but I see it as the opposite. To be almost over would stop those nutters. Instead they will expect it to get worse so will keep going

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder how NSW people feel about their money potentially being used to bail out clubs not in NSW?

Australian Rugby League Chairman Peter V’landys plans to ask the state government to redirect $500 million in planned stadium infrastructure spending towards saving sporting codes from financial ruin.

Contracts have already been signed to commence work at Allianz Stadium at Moore Park, and $800m has been committed towards the refurbishment of ANZ Stadium. Infrastructure NSW is currently finalising the procurement of a managing contractor for the Homebush Bay project after evaluating the tenders it has received.

V’landys briefed all 16 clubs on the NRL’s planned response to the decision to suspend the competition indefinitely during a phone hook-up on Tuesday. The Herald has been told V’landys outlined his intention to approach the state government about shifting funds from stadium spending towards ensuring the survival of the sporting codes who use the venue. Those conversations are expected to be had with the government in a bid to ensure the COVID-19 outbreak doesn’t send Rugby League Central broke.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...-from-stadiums-to-sports-20200324-p54dfl.html

Omott91

Juniors
I wonder how NSW people feel about their money potentially being used to bail out clubs not in NSW?

Australian Rugby League Chairman Peter V’landys plans to ask the state government to redirect $500 million in planned stadium infrastructure spending towards saving sporting codes from financial ruin.

Contracts have already been signed to commence work at Allianz Stadium at Moore Park, and $800m has been committed towards the refurbishment of ANZ Stadium. Infrastructure NSW is currently finalising the procurement of a managing contractor for the Homebush Bay project after evaluating the tenders it has received.

V’landys briefed all 16 clubs on the NRL’s planned response to the decision to suspend the competition indefinitely during a phone hook-up on Tuesday. The Herald has been told V’landys outlined his intention to approach the state government about shifting funds from stadium spending towards ensuring the survival of the sporting codes who use the venue. Those conversations are expected to be had with the government in a bid to ensure the COVID-19 outbreak doesn’t send Rugby League Central broke.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...-from-stadiums-to-sports-20200324-p54dfl.html
Fine by me.

Frailty

First Grade

That's not true. The 14 days isolation for anyone who has travelled from overseas or come into contact with a confirmed case is because it can take up to 14 days before symptoms show. During this time they are also significantly contagious.

Very mild cases can be recovered from the disease 14 days after showing symptoms, but most recovery time is from 3-6 weeks.

Screening at airports was effective during SARS because the most contagious period was after symptoms had presented - so they could screen for fever, etc. COVID-19 is most contagious before symptoms, and some never show symptoms. It is why China, who were able to minimise the outbreak of SARS struggled with COVID-19.

Hardcore approach is full lockdown for 6-8 weeks, and then maintain closed borders until a vaccine is available. Unless our health system gets to critical levels they will not do this.

Latest posts