What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Peter Quinn

Juniors
I believe the game will reboot on the 28th May. Peter V'Landys was able to strike a deal with both Nine and Fox . It was interesting to see the Chairman of the ARL so this deal. It appears that the NRL now stinks with just about everyone. Todd Greenberg is a name no one wants to deal with. And I wouldn't think there would be too much wrong with the game being handed back to the ARL. A Federal Police investigation into the NRL would just about see that disbanded.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Sorry Pete I don’t think we will be back by that date. We could come back but I think the 28th of May date is being optimistic.

I have a friend who is good friends with JWH and at this stage he reckons they won’t get up and playing again this year unfortunately.

callmack1

Staff member
A couple of articles from Sporting News, the first one is pretty crazy. Imagine if Newcastle had signed GI?! He probably wouldn't have even come to Souths and created his legacy. We certainly wouldn't have won that Premiership in 2014 and we wouldn't be where we are today that's for sure,

Greg Inglis reveals he was snubbed by the Newcastle Knights before moving to the Storm

Greg Inglis says he tried to get signed by the Knights as a teenager so he could be closer to his family, but eventually moved to Melbourne when Newcastle didn't offer him a contract.

The fateful snubbing eventually allowed GI to become one of the greats at the Melbourne Storm and the Rabbitohs while playing 32 State of Origins for Queensland.

Speaking on The Take with Willie Mason , the retired Maroons great revealed more details about the early stages of his incredible career.

As a teenager, Inglis spent a preseason at the Storm under Craig Bellamy, and looked set on playing for Melbourne permanently.

Still attending Hunter Sports High School at the time though, he says he soon realised playing his top flight footy in Newcastle would enable him to be closer to his family in the Mid North NSW town of Kempsey.

"I signed with Melbourne when I was 14, got my manager at 15, then 16 came and I was like 'actually I don't want to go to Melbourne,'" he told Mason .

"I wanted to be close to my family. Family was very important to me - like anyone's family.

"By the end of that year, no one had approached me about staying at Newcastle.

"I kept going and saying 'how about Newcastle?' I kept going to my manager at the time who kept inquiring, but he said they can't do anything.

"Mind you, I'd signed a contract for $500 with the Melbourne Storm.

"Newcastle, at that time, was only three hours down the road from my home town.

"I was like 'I want to stay here, I'll be close to my family, I'll be happy.'"

It wasn't as though the Knights weren't on the lookout for young talent, with a couple of club footy teammates already in the Newcastle system.

"I played for Wests - Western Rosellas," Inglis said .

"Played for them for the whole year with Lukey Walsh and Jarrod Mullen and they were signed to Newcastle at the time.

"They were playing seven and six at the time (for Wests) and I was playing number one.

"I was like, 'let's just go with this and I'll just try and get with Newcastle and nothing came back."

The rest, as they say, is history.

GI went to Melbourne and won two premierships before adding a third under Michael Maguire at the Rabbitohs.

Meanwhile, the only thing the Knights have collected since then is a few wooden spoons.

An exasperated Mason sums up the recruitment blunder best.

"Joey and myself f***ing just sit there and just argue about who the hell let you go from Newcastle," he said.

"You were right there in our catchment and they let you go. Why didn't the Knights grab you?"

Eels legend Peter Sterling calls for removal of Bunker

Parramatta Eels legend Peter Sterling has called for the bunker to be removed, believing that it has taken the excitement and spontaneity out of the game.

With the competition looking to cut costs, there have been discussions that the multi-million dollar bunker will find itself on the chopping block

Legendary halfbacks Cooper Cronk and Greg 'Brandy' Alexander pushed for its removal at the start of April, believing that it should be axed in place of a cheaper system.

Sterling agreed with the viewpoint of his fellow halves, believing that the sport should revert back to the video referee.

“I think we could let the bunker go and go back to the video referee,” he said on Breaking the Game

“In trying to assess what the bunker has given to the game, I also look at what it has cost us.”

Whilst Cronk and Alexander focused their concerns on the economic cost of the controversial system, Sterling believes that the true cost of the bunker lied in its ability to detract from try-scoring plays.

“In any part of the game, the main consideration has to be the fans and the fan to be engaged and wanting to come to watch our game, they been got too excited and entertained but there also has to be some spontaneity," he believes.

“I think the bunker has taken that away from that spontaneity,

“The highlight of a game should be when a try is scored,

“I watch half the crowds now go up and they don't go up all the way because in the back of their mind they’re thinking ‘this will probably go upstairs, I don't want to go up too early.’

“I think that is a real concern for our game."

Sterling also suggested that if the NRL decided to bring back the video referee system, it should be limited to grounding and in-goal decisions, putting the onus back on the on-field officials.

“I’m happy to go back to the video referee but I also want to limit his domain as well," he argues.

“I’m very comfortable if he would only look at things regarding grounding and in the in-goal area.

“Outside of that, I don't want to go back and see what happened at the play-the-ball situation,

“We’ve got four sets of eyes out there, two referees and two touch judges, that should be enough."

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
So you still get a $20 merchandise voucher amongst all other benefits, plus the members cap or scarf plus a free t-shirt all for a supporter membership fee of $70 instead of $99, you couldn’t ask for much more and it helps the club out in these hard times like right now!

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph, how cool would this be??!! I remember suggesting this when it was first announced we'd play without crowds. Would love to see it happen!

South Sydney are looking to play their first home game at Redfern Oval in 24 years as clubs come to grips with hosting matches behind closed doors.

While the NRL is considering playing all games at two or three venues — Bankwest Stadium, ANZ Stadium and Kogarah Oval have been mentioned — clubs looking to retain some home-ground advantage may push their matches to smaller venues.

The decision may be taken out of clubs’ hands if the NRL enforces mandatory venues for biosecurity measures. That could be known as early as today.

With ANZ Stadium due to close in June for renovations, its major tenants — South Sydney and Canterbury — are looking for a new home. They were slated to play games at Bankwest Stadium but with crowds unlikely to be allowed into venues in the short term they are considering playing at Redfern and Belmore Ovals, respectively.

South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly said he wanted to push for playing at South Sydney’s spiritual home, where the club trains full-time.

“If the broadcasters and NRL believe playing at Redfern would be helpful we would be more than happy to explore that possibility,” Solly said.

“The training ground has been completely closed since the quarantine period commenced, so the surface will be in top order.”

The Rabbitohs last played a first-grade game at Redfern Oval in 1996 when 3107 people watched them beat South Queensland 48-16. It hasn’t been Souths’ full-time home ground since 1987 although they did play PNG in a trial there in 2013.

Even without crowds, the Sharks won’t be able to return to PointsBet Stadium.

We checked in with Cronulla officials about the possibility of returning to their home ground instead of playing at NetStrata Jubilee Stadium.

However, the construction work being carried out on the ground and nearby leagues club means the venue is not broadcast-compliant because of a lack of services.

The Roosters switched their last home game from Gosford to Leichhardt Oval but want to play the rest of the season at the SCG.

Wests Tigers intend to split their games between Leichhardt and Campbelltown.

African Monkey

First Grade
Latrell staying for 2021 after Rabbitohs activate contract clause: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...021-after-rabbitohs-activate-contract-clause/

Big news!!! Great news!! Great to see both the club and Latrell commit long term. Very happy with this!
Hopefully he finds his best form with us. I do think Fullback is his best spot but will take a bit of time getting used to again after spending a few seasons in the centres. Put it this way, I'd much rather have him than not have him...

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph,

Wayne Bennett is stubborn and hates being proven wrong. But the supercoach is set to swallow his pride and succumb to public pressure come May 28. PLUS the Roosters-Rabbitohs rivalry going soft.

SAM SITS IN
RETIRED Rabbitohs superstar and Fox Sports commentator Sam Burgess is so highly regarded by NRL executives that he has been invited to sit in on Project Apollo meetings at Moore Park headquarters. Alongside RLPA boss Clint Newton, Burgess has offered useful advice about playerrelated issues in the countdown to the resumption of play on May 28.

SORRY, WAYNE
Wayne Bennett is stubborn and hates being proven wrong.
Yet we’re told the old supercoach is about to abandon the failed experiment of playing Latrell Mitchell at fullback at the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
Sources at Redfern are telling us Latrell will return to the centres when the Rabbitohs resume their premiership campaign, hopefully on May 28 against his old club the Sydney Roosters.
Latrell struggled in the first two rounds with lack of fitness to cover the extra ground that is required of fullbacks in attack and defence.
Bennett, we are told, has not given up on Latrell wearing the No.1 jersey later in the year but wants him to get more match fitness.
This story will be denied. Just like Bennett did when we broke the news in this column of Souths signing James Roberts and Latrell last year.
Rest assured it will happen. It will be Latrell in the centres and Alex Johnston at fullback.

SNAPPING UP THE TALENT
BRAITH Anasta has signed up his first talent as a rugby league player manager.
Lachlan Ilias, 19, is a former Australian Schoolboys rugby union star and a backline utility at South Sydney. He’s also played in Australia’s Youth Sevens team.
The youngster has played league for NSW under-16s as well and Anasta is in talks with the Rabbitohs about Ilias’s future at Redfern.
There is also talk of Melbourne Storm winger Josh Addo-Carr being keen to join Anasta’s stable.
Addo-Carr had a falling out with his agent Gavin Orr before Orr was banned for two years by the NRL integrity unit.

SINNERS
One of the great things about rugby league is the camaraderie and mateship that team sport builds. There are, however, exceptions like the fact we love the Roosters and Rabbitohs rivalry and a century of hate. That’s why it looked so ordinary when Trent Robinson and Wayne Bennett turned up together at NRL headquarters during the week for a Project Apollo meeting. Robbo even drove the old bloke to Moore Park. Hopefully hostilities will resume in the build-up to their next game.

SINNER II
There have been some outrageously ridiculous suggestions about potential CEO replacements for Todd Greenberg. The silliest was Russell Crowe pushing his mate Shane Richardson, who famously spent 12 months at the NRL in 2015 and achieved nothing. Also, this idea about Phil Gould … the last thing the NRL needs is one of Gus’s five-year plans.

SPOTTED
South Sydney Rabbitohs skipper Adam Reynolds and Maroons Origin star Dane Gagai getting out of the house for a game of golf at Eastlake.

SPOTTED
Braith Anasta and Sam Burgess playing at The Coast golf club. Burgess got the chocolates, too. He has reduced his handicap from 12 to 8 since retiring and spending more time on his swing.

SAINT
The appointment of commercial boss Andrew Abdo as a caretaker chief executive of the NRL. This guy is a bright, creative and big-picture thinker who deserves an opportunity under Peter V’landys.

SPOTTED
Referees boss Bernard Sutton has had to get a job at Woolworths at Seven Hills while the NRL competition has been in lockdown. He works from 7pm to midnight unloading trucks. Sutton has a big family to look after – his wife and four children aged 9, 7, 4 and 1.
“It’s been a good dose of reality to see how other people work on a day-to-day basis,” he said, “And it’s been good working around people who love their footy.”

SPOTTED
Racing NSW and rugby league boss Peter V’landys leaving Woolworths in Pitt Street with a box of breakfast cereal on Tuesday.

SPOTTED
Former NRL and soccer boss David Gallop reaching out to Todd Greenberg via a friendly text message on Monday, the day he was sacked as NRL chief executive.

SPOTTED
Wallaby skipper and fitness fanatic Michael Hooper training on his own at Manly Oval on Thursday morning despite the disappointment of his salary dropping from $1.2 million to less than $500,000.

SPOTTED
Players Union boss Clint Newton training at Avoca Beach on the Central Coast on Tuesday afternoon.

SHOOSH
Who was the high-flying NRL official doing his resume last week to look for a new job amid fears he would become a casualty of cost-cutting at head office.

BELLYACHE’S NAS SUPPORT
Craig Bellamy has thrown his support behind towering forward Nelson Asofa-Solomona wanting to combine footy with boxing.
“I’ve got no issue with it at all as long as it doesn’t interfere with his football,” Bellamy said. “He did boxing as a kid, he likes it, and I think it’s actually a good thing for him. He’s pretty handy at it, too, which helps.”
We wrote in this column late last year that promoter Matt Rose would offer Asofa-Solomona an opportunity in the ring after video footage went viral of him fighting like a thrashing machine in a brawl outside a Bali nightclub.
The plan is for the Storm giant to take on former Manly and Eels prop Darcy Lussick, who spectacularly knocked out Justin Hodges in 39 seconds in his professional debut last December.

callmack1

Staff member
Speaking of Latrell,

Latrell Mitchell and Josh Addo-Carr caught appearing to break COVID-19 rules: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/37534a516fdf690adbbbf26a1f2f46b4

This is not a good look at all and I am very disappointed in him, he should know better. I fully support Latrell and think he has been targeted and treated very harshly by the media recently but in this situation, he deserves the backlash he's going to get for this. There is no excuse. This could have serious consequences for our club and the entire NRL. It actually makes me really angry to be honest. Not good enough Latrell.

Pommy

Coach
Speaking of Latrell,

Latrell Mitchell and Josh Addo-Carr caught appearing to break COVID-19 rules: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/37534a516fdf690adbbbf26a1f2f46b4

This is not a good look at all and I am very disappointed in him, he should know better. I fully support Latrell and think he has been targeted and treated very harshly by the media recently but in this situation, he deserves the backlash he's going to get for this. There is no excuse. This could have serious consequences for our club and the entire NRL. It actually makes me really angry to be honest. Not good enough Latrell.

Rub him out for the season with no pay. Dead set f**king idiot considering the effort the NRL are going to get the sport going again.
He had one job, sit at home.

Last edited:
They were playing golf.

Anyway...
How fking dumb are they? Then put it on socials.
Surely they know news ltd journos are aching to rim someone. The first out of line and whammo!!!
Sigh.
Rugba rugba rugba lig.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Speaking of Latrell,

I’m not happy with him either, it’s very irresponsible and he will bring what’s about to come with all the backlash and him possibly missing some games well it’s all brought on by himself....

Rabbits20

Immortal
[/URL]

Police to investigate as Latrell Mitchell and Josh Addo-Carr busted on Covid camping trip

The NSW Police and the NRL will investigate Josh Addo-Carr and Latrell Mitchell after the duo appeared to ignore social distancing rules during a trip to the NSW mid-north coast.

On the weekend a number of photographs were posted to Instagram by Addo-Carr and the group of 12 men showing the Storm and Souths stars posing by a camp fire, riding motorbikes and shooting at Mitchell’s farm near Taree.

It comes as the NRL introduced strict new biosecurity measures at the 16 clubs in a bid to get the competition restarted by May 28.

The Daily Telegraph, who first reported the actions of Addo-Carr and Mitchell, sent a copy of the photo to ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys on Sunday night.

V’landys declined to comment until he had all the details which he will ask the clubs for on Monday.

Under NSW guidelines, people can only leave the house for work, essential shopping, personal exercise, medical appointments and compassionate visits.

“The matter will be investigated. What action is taken will fall out of that investigation,” Deputy Commissioner Dave Hudson said.

I have spoken this morning to the regional commander at northern.

“He will make himself aware of what’s on the back page of the paper and make some inquiries.

“Police haven’t been backward at all in taking complaints, making investigations and taking the appropriate action.”

Penalties for breaching the NSW COVID-19 laws by an individual carry the maximum penalty of $11,000, or imprisonement for six months, or both and a further $5,500 penalty may occur for each day the offence continues.

In another photo posted by Addo-Carr where they were riding on the beach at South West Rocks, Mitchell commented: “Teach yas how to ride cuz @joshaddocarr”.

NRL Clubs face fines and the possibility of losing competition points if players break the COVID-19 rules.

Speaking on Big Sports Breakfast, the Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield said the player face possible suspension for the breach.

“We’ve still got selfish people like footballers camping while everyone else is in lockdown,” he said.

“It’s disappointing more than anything else that everyone else is facing sacrifices.

“There are so many jobs on the line — the whole competition depends on these players dodging coronavirus and staying fit and healthy.”

Rugby League great Laurie Daley said if it was found that the players flouted lockdown rules, it would be a blow to the game’s bid to restart.

“It’s one thing to be able to put these things in place but people need to follow them,” he said.

Foxsports.com.au reached out to both the Storm and the Rabbitohs for comment.

The Storm directed us to comments made by Melbourne CEO Dave Donaghy in The Daily Telegraph.

“I wasn’t aware of this photo,” Donaghy said.

““I’ve not spoken to Josh for a while. I can’t provide any context to it.

“Our players have been absent from the club since the season was suspended late last month, but when they are back on deck for the recommencement of the season they’ll be fully briefed regarding the protocols being implemented by the NRL and clubs.”

The Rabbitohs said: “We are looking into this situation and will make no further comment at this time.”

the more I read about this the more my blood is boiling @callmack1 It’s just selfish from Latrell, absolutely selfish in such times like these. I have no doubt he will get a suspension and he’s hurt all his team mates too and let down the whole South Sydney club including all the members.