What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 20 Most Devastating Players of the NRL Era - Who ya got?

Spin off from the Foxsports Top 20 Thread....

Firstly - to define devastating. People will have different interpretations but Devastating means to me a player who can terrorise the opposition on their own;
  • Sheer strength and power in Running over/through the defence
  • Sheer speed and skill in cutting the defence to absolute ribbons
  • Absolute Brute Force in defense, smashing the ball-carrier back to the stone age.
They may not be the best players, the most consistent players, longest serving players, the best playmakers etc. But the guys who could absolutely devastate the opposition on their own (usually out of nothing) through any/all of the above.

NRL Era is anyone who has played in the NRL, ie career included 1998 and/or onward.

Expect plenty of debate, and as @Tommy Smith pointed out to me in the other thread - tired old wet-sock simpleton joke posts eg Scott Minto..

My Top 20 to kick things off, in order..

1 - Greg Inglis
2 - Jarryd Hayne
3 - Jason Taumalolo
4 - Benji Marshall
5 - Anthony Mundine
6 - Gorden Tallis
7 - Sonny-Bill Williams
8 - Tony Williams
9 - Semi Radradra
10 - Brad Fittler
11 - Adrian Morley
12 - Billy Slater
13 - Ben Barba
14 - Ruben Wiki
15 - Steve Matai
16 - Jorge Tafua
17 - Willie Mason
18 - Nathan Blacklock
19 - Ali Lautiti
20 - David Peachey

Exsilium

First Grade
1 - Jason Taumalolo
2 - JWH
3 - Sonny-Bill Williams
4 - Adrian Morley
5 - Ruben Wiki
6 - Shaun Berrigan.
7 - Steve Matai
8 - Tony Puletua
9 - James Maloney
10 - Ben Teo
11 - Justin Hodges
12 - Ali Lauiti’iti
13 - Gordon Tallis
14 - Steve Menzies
15 - Brad Fittler
16 - Anthony Minichello
17 - Luke Lewis
18 - Jamie Soward
19 - David Simmons
20 - Isreal Folau

SBD82

Coach
Spin off from the Foxsports Top 20 Thread....

Firstly - to define devastating. People will have different interpretations but Devastating means to me a player who can terrorise the opposition on their own;
  • Sheer strength and power in Running over/through the defence
  • Sheer speed and skill in cutting the defence to absolute ribbons
  • Absolute Brute Force in defense, smashing the ball-carrier back to the stone age.
They may not be the best players, the most consistent players, longest serving players, the best playmakers etc. But the guys who could absolutely devastate the opposition on their own (usually out of nothing) through any/all of the above.

NRL Era is anyone who has played in the NRL, ie career included 1998 and/or onward.

Expect plenty of debate, and as @Tommy Smith pointed out to me in the other thread - tired old wet-sock simpleton joke posts eg Scott Minto..

My Top 20 to kick things off, in order..

1 - Greg Inglis
2 - Jarryd Hayne
3 - Jason Taumalolo
4 - Benji Marshall
5 - Anthony Mundine
6 - Gorden Tallis
7 - Sonny-Bill Williams
8 - Tony Williams
9 - Semi Radradra
10 - Brad Fittler
11 - Adrian Morley
12 - Billy Slater
13 - Ben Barba
14 - Ruben Wiki
15 - Steve Matai
16 - Jorge Tafua
17 - Willie Mason
18 - Nathan Blacklock
19 - Ali Lautiti
20 - David Peachey
Perhaps too early in his career, but I would have Tedesco’s name in there somewhere. His running game has everything you’ve described. Probably RTS too.

Exsilium

First Grade
Perhaps too early in his career, but I would have Tedesco’s name in there somewhere. His running game has everything you’ve described. Probably RTS too.

I spent a while considering both of them. Couldn't put them ahead of David Simmons. Guy was Mr. Fix it, Everywhere man. Do no wrong.

Mate absolutely devastating. Look forward to your list.

I haven't got many current players, maybe because its harder to be devastating now with a generally even spread of player sizes from wing to wing. But Tedesco is definitley a standout of the modern brigade, with Taumalolo, and possibly Ponga.

1 - Jason Taumalolo
2 - JWH
3 - Sonny-Bill Williams
4 - Adrian Morley
5 - Ruben Wiki
6 - Shaun Berrigan.
7 - Steve Matai
8 - Tony Puletua
9 - James Maloney
10 - Ben Teo
11 - Justin Hodges
12 - Ali Lauiti’iti
13 - Gordon Tallis
14 - Steve Menzies
15 - Brad Fittler
16 - Anthony Minichello
17 - Luke Lewis
18 - Jamie Soward
19 - David Simmons
20 - Isreal Folau

Interesting list mate. The standout player for me (in differing from mine) is Tony Puletua, the bloke could be absolutely frightening. Especially in the Hair Bear days with Joe Galuvao

Exsilium

First Grade
Interesting list mate. The standout player for me (in differing from mine) is Tony Puletua, the bloke could be absolutely frightening. Especially in the Hair Bear days with Joe Galuvao

I'd argue that Joe was actually the better player but both had a way of belting blokes up the middle.

I think I branched out from devastating and incorporated the players who could turn it on and produce something from nothing. Team inspiring stuff.

SBD82

Coach
Mate absolutely devastating. Look forward to your list.

I haven't got many current players, maybe because its harder to be devastating now with a generally even spread of player sizes from wing to wing. But Tedesco is definitley a standout of the modern brigade, with Taumalolo, and possibly Ponga.
Not even sure that I can put a reasonable list together. So many great players over the years it’s difficult to keep it to 20. I keep going off on tangents. Like fullbacks. Or backrowers.

SBD82

Coach
Top 20 devastating backrowers of the NRL era. (I know there are better backrowers that I’ve left out, but these are the ones that owned their channel.

Tallis
Teo
Thompson
Sims
D Fafita
BK
Pritchard
Scott
Carrol
Puletua
Guluvao
SBW
Bateman
Williams
Ma’u
Burgess
O’Donnell
Manu
Wiki
Soliola

Not even sure that I can put a reasonable list together. So many great players over the years it’s difficult to keep it to 20. I keep going off on tangents. Like fullbacks. Or backrowers.

Ah cmon, wheel one out mate. All time NRL.. Back rowers was good though

some11

Referee
In terms of individual seasons, 2013 SBW and 2014 S.Burgess were just so dominant.

Taumalolo every year since pretty much.

SBD82

Coach
Ah cmon, wheel one out mate. All time NRL.. Back rowers was good though
Only because you’re a decent bloke. But with no confidence...

Taumololo
Hayne
GI
Hodges
Dell
Vatuvai
Tallis
Burgess
Wiki
Tedesco
Dugan (Canberra Years only)
Jeremy Smith (hugely underrated how much he owned the middle).
Morley
SBW
Scott
O’Donnell
Burns
Jorge
Matai
Williams

Only because you’re a decent bloke. But with no confidence...

Taumololo
Hayne
GI
Hodges
Dell
Vatuvai
Tallis
Burgess
Wiki
Tedesco
Dugan (Canberra Years only)
Jeremy Smith (hugely underrated how much he owned the middle).
Morley
SBW
Scott
O’Donnell
Burns
Jorge
Matai
Williams

Big Dell! Absolutely...

Loved Jeremy Smith. And absolute pillar of our premiership in 2010. A true enforcer.