What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg stands down

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Well they just repeated the story 20 seconds ago.
I think I see what they're getting at.

They're going to the annual report and smoothing out the figure to come up with something that sounds outrageous. They're not talking about how that money's being spent or why, giving no nuance and making it look like it's all on administration (spoiler: its not).

For what it's worth, the comparable expenditure figure for the AFL for the same period is 330m (against the NRL's 182m)

betcats

Referee
I agree.

In my opinion he was by far the best CEO of the NRL Era. Mightn’t be strong competition but he was light years better than the others.

He’s also had to deal with 3 of the biggest issues the NRL has ever faced in..

1 - CTE
2 - 2018 Off Season
3 - Fierce competition from stay-at-home entertainment platforms such as Netflix (which he stated was the biggest competition to his sport).

Apart from Covid there’s nothing else that has come even close to severely damage the game like the 3 things above. Possibly mortally. But it’s been navigated on his watch. And I think he’s done well on them, as best can be expected.

I’ve not agreed with all he’s done but he’s made decisions with conviction and stood by them. And if something hasn’t worked out he has changed his mind with benefit of review. That’s what good leaders do. A lot of people will keep howling about mistakes they perceive..and form campaigns to suit there agendas. (Paul Kent anyone?? ).

I truly hope he’s gone out on his own decision. But clearly the mob have lit there torches long ago, led by Rupert (the self-proclaimed AFL fan) and News Ltd. Whatever the case is, I wish him all the best.

As for the mob, who do they want in charge?

Well it’s the same answer as usual..

Someone Else!
Someone Else!
Someone Else!

If you are actually entertaining the idea he left of his own accord you are fairly delusional.

carcharias

Immortal
I think I see what they're getting at.

They're going to the annual report and smoothing out the figure to come up with something that sounds outrageous. They're not talking about how that money's being spent or why, giving no nuance and making it look like it's all on administration (spoiler: its not).

For what it's worth, the comparable expenditure figure for the AFL for the same period is 330m (against the NRL's 182m)

Ch 10 and the SMH both reporting 500k per day.

so much for utter fantasy.

Timmah

Staff member
Ch 10 and the SMH both reporting 500k per day.

so much for utter fantasy.
The way the figure is being presented is absolutely utter fantasy. It's not "spending per day", it's Kent getting a calculator out and dividing 182m by 365.

The 182m annual expenditure is accurate, but it's all completely reasonable and accounted for in the financials.

betcats

Referee
The way the figure is being presented is absolutely utter fantasy. It's not "spending per day", it's Kent getting a calculator out and dividing 182m by 365.

The 182m annual expenditure is accurate, but it's all completely reasonable and accounted for in the financials.

If their annual financial expenditure averages to 500k a day then it’s not fantasy at all to report it that way.

carcharias

Immortal

Haha

ch 10 just reported it one more time.

not sure why you mentioned Kent
He didn’t report it.

betcats

Referee
Was never qualified for the job and was far too reactionary. Shit like giving GI the complete deadshit a reference is hilariously incompetent

This. People talking about him taking it to the media are kidding themselves, he was incredibly reactive to the media. More than once media beat ups got rules changed Mid season and even a directive to the refs to change the way they are reffing the games mid season.

BunniesMan

Immortal

It's not reasonable. Having so little in savings AND no hard property asset is a fundamental failing. The AFL owns AFL HQ as well as a world class stadium. There is no reason why the NRL couldn't have invested proportionally.

And it's accounted for? Yes nobody is saying the money is stashed in Todd's basement. Just that much of it was wasted when a significant chunk should have gone into at least one tangible investment.

If the salary cap was 70% of what it is now the game would lose nothing of quality. Would a few Karmichael Hunt type players go off chasing mercenary bucks? Yep. But they'd be replaced by the next talent waiting in line.

Additonally, the club grants do not need to be higher than the cap. The NRL had its pants pulled down by players as well as by clubs every time it sat down at a negotiating table.

Todd Greenberg is a PR guy. He does not have the head to manage a billion dollar organisation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well they’re you go, Vlandys and his media mates have forced him out. There were many things I didn’t particularly agree with about Greenberg but he got hung on BS stories that just weren’t true and that should pss off every RL fan. Once agin media have caused disruption to nrl operations. 2015 News got Smith out and now Ch9 have got rid of Greenberg.
Let’s look at some facts shall we since Greenberg took over in 2015
Over all revenue has gone up $200mill
Non media generated revenue has gone up $75million
Funding to grass roots and states has gone up $33million
Funding to clubs has gone up significantly ($4.75million a club a year)
Nrl admin cost is at a very healthy 3.8%
The women’s game is coming on leaps and bounds
The international calendar was starting to look respectable
And the NRL made a surplus during his reign of $67million (+$6million bail out fund)

his position was untenable after Vlandys benched him, contradicted him and decided he was going to act like the games ceo for last few weeks, god help us for what we will attract next. You’d have to have rocks in your head to want to be nrl ceo!

Timmah

Staff member
If their annual financial expenditure averages to 500k a day then it’s not fantasy at all to report it that way.
It creates a perception that the NRL is doling out 500k each and every day throughout the year which people who don't do more than read a headline think "oh wow that's a lot".

The 182m comes from:
  • 103.7m in Event, Game & Sponsorship
  • 25.7m in Football
  • 17.2m in Community & Player Welfare
  • 3.8m in Integrity & Salary Cap
  • 20.3m in Administration
  • 12.7m in Insurance & Finance
The AFL's comparable figure for the same financial year is 329.9m, but I don't see a media outcry about that (nor should there be).

My point is that the m edia reporting these figures with no context or understanding of what they mean creates false perceptions which make it easy to run an agenda.

If you're giving 16 clubs grants of $13m each, that's $208m right there.
Club grants were 228m for the year, and that falls under distribution, not expenses.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
$182 Million yeah - just did my sums.. Maffs aint my strongest suit.

Even so - that's ridiculously high and hard to believe. Across the Entire NRL and its clubs perhaps. But someone will know better than me.

Well obviously they have just taken total expenditures, averaged it out across 365 days and used to vague rhetorical “head office spends” to trick the average dickhead into imagining it is all spend of salaries and perks.

Neat little media trick.

King hit

Coach
Well they’re you go, Vlandys and his media mates have forced him out. There were many things I didn’t particularly agree with about Greenberg but he got hung on BS stories that just weren’t true and that should pss off every RL fan. Once agin media have caused disruption to nrl operations. 2015 News got Smith out and now Ch9 have got rid of Greenberg.
Let’s look at some facts shall we since Greenberg took over in 2015
Over all revenue has gone up $200mill
Non media generated revenue has gone up $75million
Funding to grass roots and states has gone up $33million
Funding to clubs has gone up significantly ($4.75million a club a year)
Nrl admin cost is at a very healthy 3.8%
The women’s game is coming on leaps and bounds
The international calendar was starting to look respectable
And the NRL made a surplus during his reign of $67million (+$6million bail out fund)

his position was untenable after Vlandys benched him, contradicted him and decided he was going to act like the games ceo for last few weeks, god help us for what we will attract next. You’d have to have rocks in your head to want to be nrl ceo!
You spent quite a lot of time basing Greenberg but now you seem to like him

Perth Red

Post Whore
That would result in expenditure of 182m in a year. What utter fantasy from Ch 10

all of them have been runny that bs story for weeks. That figure is a combination of the admin costs ($20mill or 3.8% of revenue), football costs (regs, bunker, travel etc) and the investment the game has to make to generate the non media revenue it does (digital, big events etc). It’s horsesht and any journo should be embarrassed to put their name to it.