What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

Reflector

Juniors
I remember in '95 I was given this video titled 'Lightning Fast' and it was about teams in Australian motor racing at the time: Gibson Motorsport in the V8's, Jim Reed in the Top Fuels, the Kelly father/ son team in the sprint cars, Troy Corser and Anthony Gobert in the bikes...who all just happened to be sponsored by Winfield. One of the sprint car guys even made a comment about how in the old days "you might even be having a Winfield while you were driving round"

Clever marketing.

Nuke

Staff member
I remember for YEARS thinking that red patch on the Aussie 1995 RLWC jersey was a Winfield sponsorship, and lamenting that there was a sponsor there.

Then one day I came across a photo (or maybe re-watched the Final ... I can't remember now) and saw that it wasn't a sponsorship but the kangaroo and '95 on it instead, wondered how I'd not seen that before ... and then lamented the fact that it was there!

I love that World Cup final. It's the only one I've kept and re-watched numerous times in the last quarter-century.
Must watch it again one day soon...

I remember in '95 I was given this video titled 'Lightning Fast' and it was about teams in Australian motor racing at the time: Gibson Motorsport in the V8's, Jim Reed in the Top Fuels, the Kelly father/ son team in the sprint cars, Troy Corser and Anthony Gobert in the bikes...who all just happened to be sponsored by Winfield. One of the sprint car guys even made a comment about how in the old days "you might even be having a Winfield while you were driving round"

Clever marketing.

The amount of promotional material that Winfield did for RL and Benson & Hedges did for cricket was astronomical. Fixture cards, stickers, magazines, etc.

The sports went wanting for nothing.

Sure, smoking kills, but geez they pumped money back in to the game.

Funny going to footy and cricket games even in to the mid/late 90s and people still smoking. Maybe even in to the 2000's.

The amount of promotional material that Winfield did for RL and Benson & Hedges did for cricket was astronomical. Fixture cards, stickers, magazines, etc.

The sports went wanting for nothing.

Sure, smoking kills, but geez they pumped money back in to the game.

Funny going to footy and cricket games even in to the mid/late 90s and people still smoking. Maybe even in to the 2000's.

Don’t forget the Rothmans Medal!

And players who were at the awards night all got a carton of the sponsors product to take home.

sempmrh

Juniors
I think that red patch on the Kangaroos jersey is probably similar to how Marlboro tried subliminal advertising on F1 cars to get around advertising bans on cigarettes.

I think that red patch on the Kangaroos jersey is probably similar to how Marlboro tried subliminal advertising on F1 cars to get around advertising bans on cigarettes.
images

Another question how come the kit was made by Canterbury but also sponsored by Reebok (never got that)
Gee I yearn for the days of a traditional no B/S jersey without some stupid round neck collar, or "does f...k all" side panels or 43 different sponsors on some crappy material.

sempmrh

Juniors
images

Another question how come the kit was made by Canterbury but also sponsored by Reebok (never got that)
Gee I yearn for the days of a traditional no B/S jersey without some stupid round neck collar, or "does f...k all" side panels or 43 different sponsors on some crappy material.

The Reebok logo is probably purely a sponsorship logo - likely just for Reebok shoes. Similar to how Parramatta had jerseys produced by Classic and ISC but sponsored by Asics.

yakstorm

First Grade
The Reebok sponsorship was worth a fair bit. Not only did they get their branding and sleeves, but was also meant to ensure all the players wore Reebok boots during the tournament.

images

images

hellteam

First Grade
Many of you guys on Instagram? So many pages popping up selling vintage gear. Getting really expensive these days.

I miss the days of finding $30 bargains on ebay......

Latest posts