What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg stands down

T-Boon

Coach
The reason we need a big strong expensive NRL governing body is that the clubs only care about what they need to do to win competitions. They aren't interested in the big picture overall health of the NRL or rugby league.
An example of this was last season when the clubs went to war with the NRL over its attempts to improve the game/product on the field via a refereeing rules crack down. The coaches did not want it because they had put a lot of time into cheating the rules over the previous few years.
Its not even the clubs that are in charge it is the coaches because they are so powerful within their clubs.
Look at the garbage the coaches have given us over the last 20 years.
We need a powerful NRL.

betcats

Referee
The reason we need a big strong expensive NRL governing body is that the clubs only care about what they need to do to win competitions. They aren't interested in the big picture overall health of the NRL or rugby league.
An example of this was last season when the clubs went to war with the NRL over its attempts to improve the game/product on the field via a refereeing rules crack down. The coaches did not want it because they had put a lot of time into cheating the rules over the previous few years.
Its not even the clubs that are in charge it is the coaches because they are so powerful within their clubs.
Look at the garbage the coaches have given us over the last 20 years.
We need a powerful NRL.

Yep we need proper leadership that can actually engage with the self serving stakeholders and get them all working towards the common goal of making RL as strong as it can be. Being factional, arrogant and dismissive towards stake holders is not strong leadership. The nrl gets bent over by the media, clubs and the players regularly. I’m not really expecting it to change but I have more confidence in V’landys. Greenberg was an utter puppet, he let the media sway his actions often hence the high level of inconsistency that has been shown under him the last few years.

mongoose

Coach
it seems like V'landys, News and people like Phil Gould want a much simpler and smaller administration that just funnels money to the clubs, states and players. Which is strange, because it's the complete opposite of what the "best run sporting body in the world" AFL does.

Cactus

Juniors
You just have to love so called journalism these days. To make it more enjoyable I have stripped out the chaf and left in the funny bits that are just so believable :

Paul Kent: Why Todd Greenberg’s time as NRL CEO was up

“The whisper went around”

“V’landys, refused to speculate”

“Friday’s whispers”

“ V’landys refused to leak”

“whatever deal was done was done quickly, with nothing leaked”

“ Finally things are looking up, after looking down last week”

“Greenberg spent last week failing again”

“V’landys listened on, stunned”

“He turned his attention to Greenberg”

“It was clear Greenberg has been busy the past few weeks campaigning to save his job”

“In some ways, Monday’s decision was a return to the very best of rugby league”

“In recent years the NRL has been nothing short of a propaganda unit”

“Agendas and misinformation were deliberately leaked”

“The game finally has a chance”

“A chance to finally”

“To finally get back”

“Finally”

Told ya it was funny. loloololololololololol

Frailty

First Grade
Enjoy you lovers of great jouranlism.

But even from that the NRL claws back a significant amount in forced payments on the clubs that undermined the relationship.

Each year each club is asked to pay $110,000 for statistics, $178,000 for the NRL’s digital department, $150,000 for career-ending hardship fund, $188,000 for distressed club reserves and $60,000 cash after the NRL put a clause in for clubs to save money each year.

So they are upset they have to pay for the NRL to provide statistics (meaning clubs don't need to independently source or hire staff), provide their websites (again meaning clubs do not need to hire a website manager), and ensure clubs have emergency money.

That is horrific from the NRL to limit costs to clubs.

Also, making them invest money in moving games to the country in which they will earn money from? You're right clubs, the NRL should pay for this so you can make more profit from their investment.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to when the NRL strip all costs and give everything to the clubs. I'm looking forward to when the competition inevitably collapses.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
So they are upset they have to pay for the NRL to provide statistics (meaning clubs don't need to independently source or hire staff), provide their websites (again meaning clubs do not need to hire a website manager), and ensure clubs have emergency money.

That is horrific from the NRL to limit costs to clubs.

Also, making them invest money in moving games to the country in which they will earn money from? You're right clubs, the NRL should pay for this so you can make more profit from their investment.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to when the NRL strip all costs and give everything to the clubs. I'm looking forward to when the competition inevitably collapses.

And what’s funny about all this is that Grant forced clubs to fund these things when he apparently capitulated to the clubs.

Silent Knight

First Grade
it seems like V'landys, News and people like Phil Gould want a much simpler and smaller administration that just funnels money to the clubs, states and players. Which is strange, because it's the complete opposite of what the "best run sporting body in the world" AFL does.

I hope the clubs get their wish of "small administration" (reeks of the same way some politicians talk about "small government").

If the clubs hold all the money, piss it to the wall offloading contracted players, coaches or CEOs like they have in the past, and then fail, they will have no one to blame but themselves.

If they go squealing to the NRL for compensation under such an arrangement, their pleas are going to fall on deaf ears. Because they will have held all the money.

T-Boon

Coach
I hope the clubs get their wish of "small administration" (reeks of the same way some politicians talk about "small government").

If the clubs hold all the money, piss it to the wall offloading contracted players, coaches or CEOs like they have in the past, and then fail, they will have no one to blame but themselves.

If they go squealing to the NRL for compensation under such an arrangement, their pleas are going to fall on deaf ears. Because they will have held all the money.

Agreed. If that's the way it goes, I hope the clubs hurry up and just get rid of the salary cap or something devastating like that. Blow it all up.

some11

Referee
Once the smoke clears on this extension it'll be revealed that the game sold itself short like the Gallop years.

Last edited:

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Once the smoke clears it'll be revealed that the game sold itself short like the Gallop years.

No doubt, this is absolutely the worst possible time to be doing a deal. My view has always been that V'landy's comes over like a cowboy and a snake oil salesman. I also happen to think Greenberg was doing quite poorly and it is not a bad thing that he has gone, however whoever replaces him is going to be a V'landy lackey, unfortunately.