What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Ltd and Control

Perth Red

Post Whore
Could you outline and show the budget of AFL's 390 million non media revenue. If it's just adds up Clubs total spend that's not indicative of 'AFL' strength. I think Penith Panther a few years back has 10 separate league/licensed clubs which could have been worth/had revenue of 100's of millions. However they got in troulble.

not sure what you’re asking but total club afl spend in last year was $314.6mill. Afl still have $100mill owing on purchase of marvel which I’m sure they will be trying to pay off before end of this deal. Nrl non media revenue is $203.9mill and they lay out &228.1mill to clubs.
There will still be significant tv money after 2022, how much or if it will drop we don’t know yet.

taipan

Referee
regardless of his motivations the point still stands, you aren’t going to be the biggest sport in the country without two major capital cities in it.
Re AFL they have nearly $390mill in non media revenue plus a grants system that allows them to move things around and aren’t funding the states, they have more ability to cushion a reduced tv deal than nrl does at the moment. Hence why nrl has been investing in non media revenue generating activities.

No your'e not ,but the point still stands, expansion depends mainly on the ability to fund a nation wide competition.
With the financial uncertainty hanging around FTA and Pay Tv of late, that has put expansion back somewhat.
The fact now Greenberg has gone and one can guess big cuts in H/O costs, this might assist expansion together with non broadcasting income.
The code has relied heavily in the past from broadcast revenue and many of the clubs poker machine profits .Those days are over and clubs have to get mean and clean with their operations.
Yep AFL had a decent asset and decent non broadcast income, yet still had to borrow $600m to keep going.Once could ask were they spending beyond their means.

Brutus

Referee
Try to avoid the politics, what I was getting at was News Ltd's style of discrediting anyone who doesn't do what they want as we have seen with the current attacks on Greenberg building an image of him as a buffoon who doesn't know what he is doing whilst praising V'landys everytime he does anything.

Sorry I can't.

Turdball is an utter disgrace. Without doubt the worst PM the country has ever had.

The grub had all of the left media (and that includes the Canberra press pack) in his pocket and it was a few conservative commentators that had the guts to call him out.

He was only ever in it for himself and is currently showing everyone what a rotten and untrustworthy human being he his.

His leaking to the left media during the Abbott years was abominable and what he has done to his former colleagues of late tells you all about this narcissistic fool.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No your'e not ,but the point still stands, expansion depends mainly on the ability to fund a nation wide competition.
With the financial uncertainty hanging around FTA and Pay Tv of late, that has put expansion back somewhat.
The fact now Greenberg has gone and one can guess big cuts in H/O costs, this might assist expansion together with non broadcasting income.
The code has relied heavily in the past from broadcast revenue and many of the clubs poker machine profits .Those days are over and clubs have to get mean and clean with their operations.
Yep AFL had a decent asset and decent non broadcast income, yet still had to borrow $600m to keep going.Once could ask were they spending beyond their means.

hard to put back something that wasn’t on the radar. And I’m talking genuine expansion, not just consolidation with another Brisbane team. there won’t be big cuts at nrlhq. Reality is at $20mill they arent spending that much on administration. Where do you think they are going to cut it out from?
Only hope for expansion is if the nrl grew some balls and reigned club spending in or dished out nrl grants differently, but as the clubs control the commission that isnt going to happen.
All professional sport relies heavenly on tv revenue. The nrl had a goal to increase non media revenue and Greenberg has actually done a decent job achieving this over last 4 years.

taipan

Referee
hard to put back something that wasn’t on the radar. And I’m talking genuine expansion, not just consolidation with another Brisbane team. there won’t be big cuts at nrlhq. Reality is at $20mill they arent spending that much on administration. Where do you think they are going to cut it out from?
Only hope for expansion is if the nrl grew some balls and reigned club spending in or dished out nrl grants differently, but as the clubs control the commission that isnt going to happen.
All professional sport relies heavenly on tv revenue. The nrl had a goal to increase non media revenue and Greenberg has actually done a decent job achieving this over last 4 years.

My post made the point, exactly that.Brisbane which few can deny needs a 2nd team, for weekly games. The opportunity for Perth or whoever dependent on revenue improvement and /or coupled with cost cutting at a bloated NRL H/O.

if they spend $500K a day, how would you now what the cuts would be like.That figure if true ,seems highly bloated. Execs' salaries alone were $6m p.a.
And it was also pointed out everyone at H/O can expect a salary reduction and that would include a new CEO. The AFL have acknowledged their salaries are unsustainable in a new less TV revenue environment.
And you can bet saLary caps for the clubs will be reduced.
You carry on as though once this virus situation is cleared, it'll be back to some sort of financial normality.

There are indications unemployment for this country will remain very high in this country, as organisations cut back on labour costs.
Actually the non media revenue was the work of apparently Andrew Abdo, who has. made a big impression with V'Landys.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
The writing is on the wall. V’landys will blame coronavirus for taking unders and extending the tv deal. He also won’t expand and will give the current clubs what they want to keep his media team (9/news Ltd) supplying positive stories about him.

Down the tract though I can see a large problem....clubs have for years told everyone that they are the reason the nrl is such a great game. I think players might disagree. There will be at some point a massive blow up about salary cap and nrl club grants. Articles are already talking about clubs receiving more funding but at the same time players might have to become semi-professional.

Let’s all remember how positive they are about V’landys at the moment. I can recall the same was said about Greenberg when he got his position. “Someone finally that understands club land”. In 2 years time when the nrl is paid less and the afl gets a jump in tv monies we’ll see how positive it all is. Someone needs to tell V’landys that he needs to be independent and work for what’s best for the the Nrl.

I really hope I’m wrong.

big hit!

Bench
The writing is on the wall. V’landys will blame coronavirus for taking unders and extending the tv deal. He also won’t expand and will give the current clubs what they want to keep his media team (9/news Ltd) supplying positive stories about him.

Down the tract though I can see a large problem....clubs have for years told everyone that they are the reason the nrl is such a great game. I think players might disagree. There will be at some point a massive blow up about salary cap and nrl club grants. Articles are already talking about clubs receiving more funding but at the same time players might have to become semi-professional.

Let’s all remember how positive they are about V’landys at the moment. I can recall the same was said about Greenberg when he got his position. “Someone finally that understands club land”. In 2 years time when the nrl is paid less and the afl gets a jump in tv monies we’ll see how positive it all is. Someone needs to tell V’landys that he needs to be independent and work for what’s best for the the Nrl.

I really hope I’m wrong.

You won't be wrong. Rugby League does the best job on turning onto itself

taipan

Referee

I really hope I’m wrong.

In fact I got the bull by the horns, it now appears the clubs will still receive their $13m grants even though their salary cap may be cut.This means clubs would then have more to spend on junior development or towards infrastructure.
The AFL are going to have to pull their horns in financially, according to the southern media.Their future Tv deals won't be anywhere as big, Ch7 is in financial mess and Fox is losing money.
And that applies to Union and the Aye League and basketball, netball.
The difference is Greenberg was too tied to clubs like Canterbury and indeed CEOs, whereas V'Landys has no affiliations and is like a bull in a paddock .

V'Landys will not be the new CEO, I'll put my money on Abdo.Tough negotiator, with no club ties.
Expansion will be delayed, with all the crap going on now ,no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

Silent Knight

First Grade
In fact I got the bull by the horns, it now appears the clubs will still receive their $13m grants even though their salary cap may be cut.This means clubs would then have more to spend on junior development or towards infrastructure.
The AFL are going to have to pull their horns in financially, according to the southern media.Their future Tv deals won't be anywhere as big, Ch7 is in financial mess and Fox is losing money.
The difference is Greenberg was too tied to clubs like Canterbury and indeed CEOs, whereas V'Landys has no affiliations and is like a bull in a paddock .

V'Landys will not be the new CEO, I'll put my money on Abdo.Tough negotiator, with no club ties.
Expansion will be delayed, with all the crap going on now ,no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

They can just disappear entirely, won't be missed at all in this country. Also, I want to see the tears running down Hankyhead's face, he can mop them up with his red rag.

Vee

First Grade
Sorry I can't.

Turdball is an utter disgrace. Without doubt the worst PM the country has ever had.

The grub had all of the left media (and that includes the Canberra press pack) in his pocket and it was a few conservative commentators that had the guts to call him out.

He was only ever in it for himself and is currently showing everyone what a rotten and untrustworthy human being he his.

His leaking to the left media during the Abbott years was abominable and what he has done to his former colleagues of late tells you all about this narcissistic fool.
But what do you really think?

typicalfan

Coach

I really hope I’m wrong.
Why would he do so much to improve the profile of Racing NSW only to do the opposite for league.

No matter what the deal people will complain .
We are going to get less
It's simple
Things have changed ..
Economy is just about wrecked
We have to allow for the fact we have no games played for months ..so that has to be factored in .
Still
I can see the posts now
We got done over
Sold out to 9 & fox
Etc etc

Perth Red

Post Whore
No matter what the deal people will complain .
We are going to get less
It's simple
Things have changed ..
Economy is just about wrecked
We have to allow for the fact we have no games played for months ..so that has to be factored in .
Still
I can see the posts now
We got done over
Sold out to 9 & fox
Etc etc

No ones arguing we should get less this season. But why take less next two years of the contract, and even worse rumoured to be extending it another two years presumably on that lessor figure?

Perth Red

Post Whore
if they spend $500K a day, how would you now what the cuts would be like.That figure if true ,seems highly bloated. Execs' salaries alone were $6m p.a.
And it was also pointed out everyone at H/O can expect a salary reduction and that would include a new CEO. The AFL have acknowledged their salaries are unsustainable in a new less TV revenue environment.
And you can bet saLary caps for the clubs will be reduced.
You carry on as though once this virus situation is cleared, it'll be back to some sort of financial normality..

in that $500k a day sits
Refs
Bunker
Club travel and accomodation
Integrity unit
Insurance
NRLHQ admin such as corporate, finance, hr, office rental etc ($54.8k a day)
The bulk of that $500k is money the game spends on raising non media revenue putting on big events, attracting corporate sponsors and digital platform

so what would you be cutting as you seem to think something in there is bloated?

franklin2323

Immortal
No ones arguing we should get less this season. But why take less next two years of the contract, and even worse rumoured to be extending it another two years presumably on that lessor figure?

The extra 2 years hopefully allows the market to pickup. Better that than no money. Lets say $1b over 5 years is still a good deal especially in this climate

franklin2323

Immortal
in that $500k a day sits
Refs
Bunker
Club travel and accomodation
Integrity unit
Insurance
NRLHQ admin such as corporate, finance, hr, office rental etc ($54.8k a day)
The bulk of that $500k is money the game spends on raising non media revenue putting on big events, attracting corporate sponsors and digital platform

so what would you be cutting as you seem to think something in there is bloated?

Do we need the bunker in its current form and digitally could be done better

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

haha do you honestly think that giving clubs more money will actually work? The past 25 years says it won’t. They have received more money now than ever before and still expect more.

not sure about Greenberg being to tied to clubs..... that was the reason he got arsed!! He actually realized that once you become a ceo you have to actually look after the whole game not just clubs that are mostly reckless.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Why would he do so much to improve the profile of Racing NSW only to do the opposite for league.

Yes by all reports he has done a good job for nsw racing. I just hope his childhood memories don’t cloud his judgement and that he remembers that it’s not nsw nrl, it’s the NRL.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Do we need the bunker in its current form and digitally could be done better

I remember a article from a while ago talking about the bunker. Apart from the initial set up cost, the bunker actually makes money through the kfc sponsorship.

Digital could always be done better but I really hope they don’t sell it. The Aus gov is forcing Facebook and google to pay media Companies for articles on their platforms. Another source of revenue.

Like PR has said, I’ll be very interested that when all the huff and puff of the media slows down and the actual facts are revealed V’landys has to own why he made the cuts he did.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
The extra 2 years hopefully allows the market to pickup. Better that than no money. Lets say $1b over 5 years is still a good deal especially in this climate

now is the most stupid time to negotiate a new tv deal for the nrl. We clearly have cash flow problems nine and fox are trying to force our hand to extend. V’landys seems happy to just cop it and blame previous admin