What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 years ago today.... The storm lost two premierships

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Calm down bro. Where is your proof that Cam knew about the rorts? Just because he manages himself doesn't mean he's in on the rorts.

Do I need proof that one of the highest paid players at the club, who manages himself, in an era of systematic cap rorting, knew about..and not only knew about it, but participated in it? If I was in a court of law I would, yeah. But in my court of public opinion, I'm pretty happy to run with the fact he was part of it. If I'm wrong I'd be f**king surprised.

And I'm very calm bro. It's a forum. I'm airing my opinion. The Storm are a grubby organisation and Cam Smith is at the forefront of that.

The NRL should have a round table meeting once our game gets up and running to determine the protocol if a team who wins the GF and is found to have cheated, then should be awarded to the other side of that particular GF.

I hadn't thought about it before but I agree with other posters who said that Parra shouldn't necessarily be the ones to be awarded it. In the 100m when Ben Johnson is the winner but is doping, it's clear cut that 2nd gets the gold because they would've won (although Carl Lewis being second from memory muddies those waters). But the Storm beat people in the finals series. Who's to say those sides wouldn't have won the premiership? They were robbed of the chance to do so. Manly won the year before but got knocked out in the first round - no doubt by a Storm side (an illegal one, let's remember) that was carrying this BS siege mentality and out for revenge.

Valheru

Coach
The NRL should have a round table meeting once our game gets up and running to determine the protocol if a team who wins the GF and is found to have cheated, then should be awarded to the other side of that particular GF. In the Olympics, when a participant(s) is found to have cheated, the medals are awarded accordingly, so why not our sport?

For Parra not to have been awarded the GF, is a hard one to swallow for their supporters, but if this provision is put into place, at least the whole year hasn't gone to waste.So a particular season can be more lauded for someone being awarded the premiership, than for another club being stripped of it.

I don't think you can do that and 2009 is a perfect example of why.

First off, you have one team miss the 8 that otherwise would have made it and secondly it completely changes the finals.

It would probably be more valid to give it to the minor premier if they weren't the ones who cheated.

moffla

Bench
But but the Sharks....look no one does cheating better than the Storm
Your players injected peptides and got away with a slap on the wrist champ. But full credit, they got away with it before cheating the cap and...getting away with it.

Cheating without punishment would be the best form of cheating I'd have thought!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So does that apply to the Cronulla Sharks? Does their 2016 title "stink"?
What about Parramatta? Is there still a stench?

fair question, but yeh, our board have been moved on as widely reported,

however some players and BA remain but unlike the Storm and their players signing multiple contracts, our players were not involved in such shenanigans

Valheru

Coach
If this has taught us one thing it is how proud we can be of the roosters team over the last 7 years. They have been every bit as successful as the 06-10 Storm team (perhaps more so) without even a hint of salary rorting rhetoric.

My message to the likes of the Storm, Bulldogs, Parra, Warriors and the Sharks is to stay on the moral side of the line, work hard, believe in yourself and you too can be legitimately successful.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Wow 10 years hey? !!!

I remember when it was first announced in the afternoon that they had officially lost the premierships, minor premierships and playing for no points.

Gave everyone in Rugby League quite a shock

But whats interesting was leading up to the press conference there was so many rumours circulating of a possible salary cap breach.

Those rumours got stronger when Cam Smith played one of his worst games against Manly at Docklands. The Storm got beat on a Monday night game and Smith missed a few goals, one was an easy one. Something wasnt right.

Betting then suspended minor premierships, wooden spoons, premiership etc. Something wasnt right.

Then the announcement from Gallop. WOW. One of Rugby League's darkest days.

Now back then I was fuming knowing that we lost the 2009 GF to cheats, as were Manly fans losing in 2007, but obviously other fans wouldve been fuming as well.

There was even suggestion of handing the comps to the runners up. People joked that Parramatta and Manly were awarded the comps.

As much as I love to win a comp, it's just not the same as winning on GF day/night, players holding the trophy doing a lap of honour.

I remember it was on the news, Fox Sports, Ch 7, Ch 9, the biggest story since Super League. A lot of people in the media believed League was on the Decline and this could potentially damage the game in Melbourne. Even some "League" reporters in Melbourne believed it suffered so much, the fans dumped Membership passes and jersies in garbage bins outside of Storm headquarters. PFFFFTTT!!!! If anyone believed that, they had no idea of Rugby League. Talk about dramatic. Typical media.

Then on the Matty Johns show, you had Mark Geyer and Raaaaayyy saying something like "Well if this is a indication that League in Melbourne is dying, so be it"

League dying hey?

I guess they didnt predict them winning premierships and minor premierships since. Also the MCG hosting Origins, both above 80,000 including a record Origin crowd.

As much as I cant stand Melbourne, I'm glad the fans were typical League fans and stuck by their club.

So what did the game learn from this? Not to cheat again?

Clubs were still doing it, including us. So clubs were still managed poorly with their finances, overpaying average first graders, paying out contracts.

Thankfully for us, Brad Arthur has stuck around to help us get through this.

moffla

Bench
Wow 10 years hey? !!!

I remember when it was first announced in the afternoon that they had officially lost the premierships, minor premierships and playing for no points.

Gave everyone in Rugby League quite a shock

But whats interesting was leading up to the press conference there was so many rumours circulating of a possible salary cap breach.

Those rumours got stronger when Cam Smith played one of his worst games against Manly at Docklands. The Storm got beat on a Monday night game and Smith missed a few goals, one was an easy one. Something wasnt right.

Betting then suspended minor premierships, wooden spoons, premiership etc. Something wasnt right.

Then the announcement from Gallop. WOW. One of Rugby League's darkest days.

Now back then I was fuming knowing that we lost the 2009 GF to cheats, as were Manly fans losing in 2007, but obviously other fans wouldve been fuming as well.

There was even suggestion of handing the comps to the runners up. People joked that Parramatta and Manly were awarded the comps.

As much as I love to win a comp, it's just not the same as winning on GF day/night, players holding the trophy doing a lap of honour.

I remember it was on the news, Fox Sports, Ch 7, Ch 9, the biggest story since Super League. A lot of people in the media believed League was on the Decline and this could potentially damage the game in Melbourne. Even some "League" reporters in Melbourne believed it suffered so much, the fans dumped Membership passes and jersies in garbage bins outside of Storm headquarters. PFFFFTTT!!!! If anyone believed that, they had no idea of Rugby League. Talk about dramatic. Typical media.

Then on the Matty Johns show, you had Mark Geyer and Raaaaayyy saying something like "Well if this is a indication that League in Melbourne is dying, so be it"

League dying hey?

I guess they didnt predict them winning premierships and minor premierships since. Also the MCG hosting Origins, both above 80,000 including a record Origin crowd.

As much as I cant stand Melbourne, I'm glad the fans were typical League fans and stuck by their club.

So what did the game learn from this? Not to cheat again?

Clubs were still doing it, including us. So clubs were still managed poorly with their finances, overpaying average first graders, paying out contracts.

Thankfully for us, Brad Arthur has stuck around to help us get through this.
well said
FWIW, I’m also happy to see Parra, Manly and Sharks come out on the other side and I certainly hold no joy seeing fans suffer for things that far out of their control.

GongPanther

Referee

First off, you have one team miss the 8 that otherwise would have made it and secondly it completely changes the finals.

It would probably be more valid to give it to the minor premier if they weren't the ones who cheated.
The reasoning for a round table meet to discuss something finite from this season and after.

Of course this will only work if it is unanimously voted on.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Your players injected peptides and got away with a slap on the wrist champ. But full credit, they got away with it before cheating the cap and...getting away with it.

Cheating without punishment would be the best form of cheating I'd have thought!

Agreed. Please scrub our 14th place from the record books.

Walpole

Juniors

Couldn't agree more...

Vic Mackey

Referee
Were Canberra marginally over and self reported, and just copped a fine? And how long was it until it got reported?

From memory they self reported. It was from a heap of players getting rep bonuses that they hadn’t accounted for. However I believe % wise it was a fairly huge amount and even more so then the storms ones

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I can't believe it's been 10 years since this happened it doesn't feel that long ago at all. I remember watching deal or no deal that afternoon and it kept coming up during the ads for the upcoming news. Was glued to the sport news for a long time after it.
Deal or I Deal is what Cam said to Storm management till they signed off on his third contract.