What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Cactus

Juniors
This SkyNews video is very much worth the 4 minutes, to see how others inside the media see Hugh and Channel 9 and their latest disgraceful road blocking from yesterday.

This sums up most of my thoughts on the current situation and I suspect many of you guys aswell:

Channel Nine uses COVID-19 to negotiate a new broadcasting deal with the Rugby League
23/04/2020|5min
Sky News host Paul Murray says “Channel Nine and its executive, Hugh Marks, are now standing in the way of Rugby league returning” to play in an “opportunistic” bid to negotiate a new broadcasting deal. "Currently there exists a five-year Rugby League agreement between the sport, Foxtel and Channel Nine”. However, the Sydney Morning Herald reported Channel Nine “is determined to finalise arrangements around a potential three-year broadcast extension before it concerns itself with the details of this year”. Mr Murray said “so halfway through a five year deal they are using a pandemic and hiding behind the skirt of nurses to deny you the chance to look forward to something after a week locked up at home.” Mr Murray said “they did a deal, they signed a contract… and you don’t just randomly change it halfway through”. "You certainly are not in a position to turn around and say if you don’t pay me more money or if you don’t give me more exclusive games then I won’t approve the return of Rugby League". “If Rugby League doesn’t happen on May 28 it will be because Channel Nine wants a new deal, halfway through the one they already negotiated and signed," he said.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6151565283001

Frailty

First Grade
You wouldn’t even necessarily need to exclude Foxtel. could still offer then non exclusive pay tv rights at a reduced rate that would cover a significant portion of your shortfall. In fact given that they would still be driving the media narrative the NRL would probably want then to have some content otherwise they would be even freer to go negative or worse still to just ignore the NRL.

The US model seems to follow this route with things like the NFL having their own service but still sell the rights to ESPN and Fox and whoever else.

The NFL Gamepass have blackouts that don't allow users to watch games live.

Most of the major 4 American sports have some form of blackouts. For the NHL this is dependent on your local area so rights holders don't lose viewers to streaming.

Silent Knight

First Grade
This SkyNews video is very much worth the 4 minutes, to see how others inside the media see Hugh and Channel 9 and their latest disgraceful road blocking from yesterday.

This sums up most of my thoughts on the current situation and I suspect many of you guys aswell:

Channel Nine uses COVID-19 to negotiate a new broadcasting deal with the Rugby League
23/04/2020|5min
Sky News host Paul Murray says “Channel Nine and its executive, Hugh Marks, are now standing in the way of Rugby league returning” to play in an “opportunistic” bid to negotiate a new broadcasting deal. "Currently there exists a five-year Rugby League agreement between the sport, Foxtel and Channel Nine”. However, the Sydney Morning Herald reported Channel Nine “is determined to finalise arrangements around a potential three-year broadcast extension before it concerns itself with the details of this year”. Mr Murray said “so halfway through a five year deal they are using a pandemic and hiding behind the skirt of nurses to deny you the chance to look forward to something after a week locked up at home.” Mr Murray said “they did a deal, they signed a contract… and you don’t just randomly change it halfway through”. "You certainly are not in a position to turn around and say if you don’t pay me more money or if you don’t give me more exclusive games then I won’t approve the return of Rugby League". “If Rugby League doesn’t happen on May 28 it will be because Channel Nine wants a new deal, halfway through the one they already negotiated and signed," he said.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6151565283001

Never thought I'd be agreeing with anything on Sky News and yet here we are. Hit the f***ing nail on the head.

TIGER14

Bench
If they can get Coronavirus testing times down to 30mins I wonder if crowds would be allowed back in later in the season. If you want to go to games you have to be tested and cleared of having Coronavirus.

big hit!

Bench
what a shambles

this is what happenes when you set a date with no plan in place

no plans, and a history of bending over for networks for extra coin. NRL has catered for and now become dependent on them. the comments from some about offering it to 7 and 9 are laughable. Ch10 wouldn't be able to pay for a blowjob for two executives, and Ch7 are committed to just about everything else.

someone's used the NFL as an example of by-passing networks and streaming its own content. well, the NFL protects its rights value by giving networks exclusivity, and protects its its game-day product with blackouts and scheduling during the day when folks can actually get out to the game.

NRL has gone so far up the road that apart from putting on a game every night of the week at 8pm, there really is no other way to increase its value.

big hit!

Bench
RL has been working on plans. Where is 9s plans ?

Looks like 9 are being deliberately shambolic.

at the moment, t20 world cup begins 18th Oct. this hasn't changed. it works in with their schedule of the rugby league ending and cricket beginning.

they've signed an agreement to broadcast the NRL GF on 4th Oct. perhaps this can be stretched out a week until 11th. a pandemic sucks balls, but the NRL need to work on getting the season done by arly-mid Oct. setting a start date without any other freakin details is amateur hour.

Cactus

Juniors
at the moment, t20 world cup begins 18th Oct. this hasn't changed. it works in with their schedule of the rugby league ending and cricket beginning.

they've signed an agreement to broadcast the NRL GF on 4th Oct. perhaps this can be stretched out a week until 11th. a pandemic sucks balls, but the NRL need to work on getting the season done by arly-mid Oct. setting a start date without any other freakin details is amateur hour.

The specific details so far have been discussed between NRL & 9 but not released into the public domain until such time as agreement is reached.

RL is making & offering up the plans and 9 is stalling and has no plan.

flippikat

Bench
9's plans are to renegotiate the existing contract on terms more favourable to them.

Regarding the start date & competition length, it appears that V'Landys is nearing the end of his tether with Nine today, so it's gonna be interesting how THAT effects things.

He certainly strikes me as a guy you DON'T wanna be on the wrong side of.

Tommy Smith

Referee
The T20 Cricket World Cup?

Lmao what else might the NRL - channel 9s ratings lifeblood - potentially clash with, reruns of McLeod's Daughters?

No one gives a f**k about the T20 hit 'n giggle crap. I'm sure people in NSW & QLD will be devastated if Afghanistan vs West Indies clashes with a Broncos vs Eels Prelim Final!

The "clash" is just a bullshit excuse by 9 so they can rip up a deal they don't like.

If we are to speak of amateur hour then let's start and end with 9s decision to give Foxtel simultaneous broadcast rights to all 8 games. That's the epitome of incompetence right there.

Cactus

Juniors
Regarding the start date & competition length, it appears that V'Landys is nearing the end of his tether with Nine today, so it's gonna be interesting how THAT effects things.

He certainly strikes me as a guy you DON'T wanna be on the wrong side of.

If ever there was a time to contemplate issuing a breach notice by one party to the contract this is the time now for the NRL to do so to 9.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
The T20 Cricket World Cup?

Lmao what else might the NRL - channel 9s ratings lifeblood - potentially clash with, reruns of McLeod's Daughters?

No one gives a f**k about the T20 hit 'n giggle crap. I'm sure people in NSW & QLD will be devastated if Afghanistan vs West Indies clashes with a Broncos vs Eels Prelim Final!

The "clash" is just a bullshit excuse by 9 so they can rip up a deal they don't like.

If we are to speak of amateur hour then let's start and end with 9s decision to give Foxtel simultaneous broadcast rights to all 8 games. That's the epitome of incompetence right there.

‘also do you really think the government will let all these sporting teams come to the country in October , especially since most of cricket nation countries are a mess with the virus

Latest posts