What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Cactus

Juniors
setting a start date without any other freakin details is amateur hour.

LOL....."without any other freakin details or plans.....yeah right.

Rugba Leagues Plans
  • Rl have been proposing how to get this show on the road for weeks.
  • Compliance plan with govs health requirements
  • Hired external health expert consultants
  • Explored all the different logistics options
  • Consulted playing group reps
  • Discussed plans with venue operators
  • Developed health plan for players
  • Sought approvals from Ministers/Gov
  • Discussed the plans with broadcast partners. Including 9 (lol I just love that one)

Channel 9 plans
  • Spread disinformation via their own journos by writing misleading stories
  • Be absolute twats and stall and attempt to weasel out of contract

TheVelourFog

First Grade
The estimated date of May 28th has been in the public domain for weeks.

yes, and what are their plans to make it happen by this arbitrary date? the clubs don't know, the broadcaster doesn't know, seems like Peter and Wayne are the only ones that know
we hear about what the players might be doing, but what about all the other people associated with training and game day?

a shambles

Cactus

Juniors
yes, and what are their plans to make it happen by this arbitrary date? the clubs don't know, the broadcaster doesn't know, seems like Peter and Wayne are the only ones that know
we hear about what the players might be doing, but what about all the other people associated with training and game day?

a shambles

Its already been mentioned that the discussions between NRL & 9 have been held, plans discussed but not made public yet till agreement. Can you not read the posts about this very fact.

I think what you mean to say is YOU dont know.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
Its already been mentioned that the discussions between NRL & 9 have been held, plans discussed but not made public yet till agreement. Can you not read the posts about this very fact.

I think what you mean to say is YOU dont know.

correct, I don't know, but everything we are hearing is that no-one else does either

State governments havent even seen the proposal
No idea where it will be broadcast
QLD clubs saying they havent decided whether they will relocate
NZ not sure if borders will be open

they have set a date because they have no money and they are hoping to brute force it through but no-one has a clue

Cactus

Juniors
correct, I don't know, but everything we are hearing is that no-one else does either

Well, I dont know how anyone can make statements bagging the NRL (and not 9) when the NRL cant release agreed plans while 9 have not agreed as yet and its public knowledge now that 9 are stalling.

So there is no "NRL hasnt made plans" and there is no "shambolic by the NRL"

If anything its not so much shambolic but "deliberate" obfuscation by none other than Channel 9. Our true blue ridgy didge broadcast PARTNERS.

Hilarious if it wasnt so unscrupulous.

TheFrog

Coach
No one gives a f**k about the T20 hit 'n giggle crap.
Not so sure this is quite correct but how likely is it that it will even go ahead, given it involves countries that are utterly rife with Covid-19? FWIW I doubt the India Test series will go ahead either. The extended NRL season might only have the Sheffield Shield to compete with.

TheFrog

Coach
If they can get Coronavirus testing times down to 30mins I wonder if crowds would be allowed back in later in the season. If you want to go to games you have to be tested and cleared of having Coronavirus.
Only if the test can detect the virus the minute the person is infectious. I wouldn't hold out any great hope of that.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
Well, I dont know how anyone can make statements bagging the NRL (and not 9) when the NRL cant release agreed plans while 9 have not agreed as yet and its public knowledge now that 9 are stalling.

So there is no "NRL hasnt made plans" and there is no "shambolic by the NRL"

If anything its not so much shambolic but "deliberate" obfuscation by none other than Channel 9. Our true blue ridgy didge broadcast PARTNERS.

Hilarious if it wasnt so unscrupulous.

oh absolutely f**k Ch9

Cactus

Juniors
'Like a boxing match': NRL's take-it-or-leave-it offer to broadcasters
By Michael Chammas
April 24, 2020 — 2.28pm

The NRL will put forward a take-it-or-leave-it proposal to its broadcast partners at a meeting on Friday afternoon that will have huge ramifications on the immediate and long-term future of the sport.

Nine chief executive Hugh Marks and Foxtel boss Patrick Delany will be presented with the NRL's blueprint for the restructured 2020 season and then have to decide whether they are on board or willing to walk away from the current contract.

The Herald has been told by sources inside the negotiations that the NRL will recommend a season length and structure that starts on May 28, despite free-to-air partners Nine raising concerns with the "premature" resumption date on Thursday night.

Nine wants a 15-round season plus finals (two rounds already played), while Fox Sports is willing to allow play right up until November, with an entire 24-round competition completed as originally planned.

Interim NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo met with ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys for more than three hours on Friday morning to map out the restructured season, which includes State of Origin at the end of the campaign. They will take the plan to clubs and players next week, and to broadcasters this afternoon.

V'landys also spoke to NRL coaches on a phone hook-up. They were told of the NRL's desire to find middle ground between the two broadcasters and a potential season of about 17-19 rounds.

In an interview with Today Show host Karl Stefanovic on Friday morning, the ARLC chairman said he was saving his "best punches to the end", hinting at the ultimatum he would deliver to broadcasters.V'landys vowed to sort out the 2020 season by the end of Friday after describing recent criticism about the game's attempt to return as "scaremongering and alarmist rhetoric".

"This is like a boxing match, you take a few blows to the head, a few body blows, but you save your best punches to the end," V'landys said on the show.

"I think you'll find on the 28th of May we will start and we won't be a problem ... We have two different broadcasters - one has a different view to the other. Today is D-Day for me. A decision will be made as to the length of the season between the two broadcasters

"We will meet our contractual obligation to the broadcasters but a decision has to be made. The procrastination has been taking long enough. A decision will be made today

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/d-...it-offer-to-broadcasters-20200424-p54mz3.html

Cactus

Juniors
This is how I might play this:

1) NRL writes up an agreement for both Fox & 9 for the 24 round option to be played & presents it to both. It’s a YES or NO agreement.

2) Fox says YES. 9 says NO

3) NRL presents the "middle ground" 2nd option, an agreement to Ch9 only with the 19 game schedule.

4) 9 say YES and away we go

OR

5) 9 say NO. And then its contract breach time baby.

I want the footy back on, but it would almost be worth it for 9 to renege & force us elsewhere & get sued in the process.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Nine wants a 15-round season plus finals (two rounds already played), while Fox Sports is willing to allow play right up until November, with an entire 24-round competition completed as originally planned.

really makes you wonder how we got into this position, with broadcasters telling the NRL how to run the game, maybe we have been too soft for tool long

we have a product they they should be bidding for, not dictating how to run it

now really is the time to stand up to them before we get trampled on

Saxon

Bench
It would seem like Nine has all the power in this situation.

It’s almost like the NRL are in breach of the 2018-22 media contract by failing to provide 25 rounds of league in 2020....

oh wait... hang on a second the NRL are in breach.... And people wonder why Nine have them by the balls
Nope. Almost certainly NOT in breach. It's called Force Majeure (also known as "Act of God"), and pretty much every major commercial contract in Australia includes it. Basically it relieves one or both parties of their obligations when impacted by unforeseen circumstances beyond their control - earthquake, tidal wave, bushfire, GFC etc.
Also, by doing everything in their power to deliver as much as of the contract as possible, the NRL have a very strong argument that they are trying to deliver an acceptable outcome.
(Edit: I should also add that it is a considerable act of good faith, which is of significant value in any defence)

Nein do not have them by the balls - that's why they are crying and screaming so loudly to try and convince people that they do.

Last edited:

some11

Referee
The NRL absolutely need to keep firing back at the weak pricks at channel 9.

They're trying to copy the murdoch playbook of old but have f**k all leverage.

What are they going to be known as if they lost rugby league? The home of f**king reality garbage.